Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 273 Posts

·
*the drum drum*
43,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is no denying it, the club is at breaking point, and the smallest movement could set off a chain of events over the course of the rest of this season.

Let's take a look at the different situations, and how each of them will impact other areas of the club.

1 - Luis Aragones, Manager
The finger of blame always points to the manager first and foremost, and Luis Aragones is no different. As much as we try to defend papa, it looks like he has his eyes on the prize, all €7m of it. He will not finish his contract, but he also will not leave without a big payout.

Repercussions?
Our big signing Daniel Guiza will not be happy. He has already gone on record in an interview with Marca saying "I'll be upset if Luis leaves, but I can't say the same for my teammates".

Should he leave before the European competitions are up, we'll see the club try it's best to persuade Bülent Uygun to take the helm, which he may should Sivasspor NOT be in a title challenging position. If that doesn't happen, a plethora of foreign names will go by, before someone like Aykut Kocaman will be placed on the radar. Should the sacking/resignation come later, the club will most likely make do with a caretaker for the rest of the season.

2 - Aziz Yıldım, President
His previously unshakable position is now seriously under threat. Most of his latest actions are coming back to bite him hard, and even the good he's done is often being taken too far (i.e., the Fenerium is great, but declaring war on street vendors and later fan groups has taken it too far and swung a positive into a negative against him). A resignation, a real one, isn't as unthinkable as you'd have thought in years gone by.

Repercussions?
Firstly, other figure heads at the club will more than certainly follow him should he leave, Nihat Özdemir and Mahmut Uslu at the front of that queue.

In terms of the impact it'll have on the club, the first will more than certainly be a breath of fresh air. The second will be squabbles between those pro-Aziz Yıldırım and those who are happy to see him go. In the long term, you really can't say, because while the club is now in a strong, self sustainable position (a rare breed in Europe, let alone Turkey), there are no guarantees that a new management would not throw that all out the window with just a few bad business dealings (like say, paying so much for Emre and Aragones!).

One important thing that will be put on hold with this uncertainty is player contract negotiations, which you can read more about after the jump.

The Jump

3 - Players
The following players are out of contract in June 2009, and with uncertainty all around the club the likelihood that these will be taken care of in time is small;
  • Alex
  • Diego Lugano
  • Deivid
  • Volkan Demirel
  • Roberto Carlos
  • Claudio Maldonado
  • Tümer Metin
  • Can Arat
  • Selçuk Şahin
  • Volkan Babacan
Of them, the biggest fears are that Alex and/or Lugano could leave. It's likely Alex will stay, as he's unlikely to find as good a contract elsewhere, and as yet has no intentions to fulfill his dream of moving back to Coritiba to retire. Diego Lugano will have clubs from all over Europe falling over each other to get to him, whilst Volkan Demirel will surely test the market before considering anything the club offers him.

Repercussions?
At the very least, we're going to have some holes in the squad that will need filling, and hopefully not much more than that.

In the case that Alex and/or Lugano leaves, it could mean a massive restructure of the team as both of them are almost irreplaceable. It's easier to sign two good defenders than it is to sign one Diego Lugano, likewise it's easier to stop basing the team around a playmaker than it is to sign someone of the calibre and consistency of Alex.

And should there be a mass exodus, it's the same, a big restructure of the squad from top to bottom will need to be assessed.

P.S - I have two reasons for writing this large, probably mostly boring piece. Firstly because we're all aware of all this, but haven't had a place to really discuss it properly, at the moment we're just throwing out odd insults in match threads. The second is that I have been prancing around the club issues and laughing, so I want to show that I do still care. I would just prefer to laugh than to let something as trivial as a football club depress me.

·
I like things
14,200 Posts
I didn't get to read the entire post, I'm in the middle of studying so I'll do that later tonight, but Cenk said something really relevent to our crisis.

A crisis at Fenerbahce usually happens suddenly and ends quickly, remember the lorant/oguz era? This shouldn't have happened after such a successful season, but I'd prefer this to a progressive lengthy crisis...

·
Registered
23,556 Posts
Fully read everything and agree 100%. Let's just hope we have a chairman that comes in that will know a thing or two about football, and will hire a director of football to take care of that. Preferably an ex-player.

·
Registered
14,298 Posts
agree as well, great post Tolga. also agree with Cenk about the director of football. If Aziz stays, maybe this is a slap in the face and he will realize what he has done wrong for the future

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Man I didn't realise Lugano is available for a free this summer :(

We do need a football director that knows football.

·
*the drum drum*
43,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A director of football in Turkey though will mean a man who will do exactly what Aziz Yıldırım is doing now, dictating everything according to his ego.

That man would need to be someone like Aykut Kocaman, a man of integrity, otherwise it'll just turn this club into the new BJK with a yogi bear running the show.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Fener was able to cash in on Lugano, but Aragones insisted he stay. This is his last season and he will land a super contract.
Great coach/great management/sports director... nothing could change this. Fener has to live season by season, so long as relying on foreign stars, young or old.

Nihat Ozdemir :howler:

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
R.Carlos reveals traitors by name. :googly: ENTREVISTA

Q: Who are the group of people Luis trusts?
"There is a group of players who speak to him. Alex, who is the captain, Edu, R.Carlos, Maldonado, whom the club wanted to sell but Luis resisted. It's the example that Mister is with the players to the death. [...]"

(Ed: R.Carlos is currently visiting Madrid with Maldonado.)

He speaks why the team is suffering now and of current difficulties. ("It was better last year. Now they criticize us. The faults are on veterans and those coming from outside.") Güiza asked for advice from R.Carlos through his manager (quoted only the first name) and RC says he's trying to help.

·
*the drum drum*
43,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was it really necessary to rename the thread, I mean it's not like we'll be discussing a crisis at Galatasaray, Beşiktaş or anywhere else in this forum.

Part of my ongoing protest is to write fenerbahçe with a lowercase f, so please change the title again to reflect my protest movement :D

·
Administrator
25,420 Posts
with a decent fee i can do that:D

·
Administrator
25,420 Posts
tolga...did u pay this boy, instead of me?!?

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
I should have explained why I changed the thread in the first place (and I totally agree with the lowercase 'f' :D)

I added fenerbahce so that XT members that don't normally frequent this forum, but heard so much about fb from their success last season in the CL, and would be shocked about this very quick destruction would be more tempted to come in and join in the conversation. I suspect there will be a lot to talk about on this topic, especially about other clubs trying to lure one of the players Tol...um Şey...um Zico_10 ;) mentioned, to take them away from the chaos...

·
Registered
10,724 Posts

·
*the drum drum*
43,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also should have mentioned that Lucescu will be the #1 and only viable foreign candidate for the job.

He will be dying for the job too now that Mustafa Denizli is almost definitely at Beşiktaş. Lucescu can't have someone threaten his 'dream' of winning the title with three separate clubs.

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Im not worried at all about the 7Million payout clause for Aragones if he were to get sacked. Fenerbahce have a reputation to scare people away from Turkey without much effort (Tuncay, Marco, Appiah, Zico and SO MANY MORE).

So what's in store for Aziz's wacky plan? Well if you like back in the summer he took complete control of every affair of the club :)yuck:) now since his plan is starting to unravel, the club will be called Azizbahçe in the future, we will see a huge statue of Aziz outside the stadium with his balls covered in gold where everyone will have to kiss and stroke before they enter the stadium. We will have to sing a Aziz hymn before the game. And so on... :groan:

To be honest im not that sad about Fenerbahce 2008-09. If Aziz were to retire we could use this time to recuperate and plan for the future, I fully support one of the Anadolu teams to become champions.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I think it's pretty bad you guys have turned on Aziz so badly. I don't think this is the right attitude to have in these times.

Sure, Aziz has made some bad decisions and it's not like he is consistently making these bad decisions. Let's try to be real fans:
HEP DESTEK, TAM DESTEK.

P.S. Arsenal V Fener tickets go on general sale on 16th Oct to sit in the Arsenal terrace.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Lucescu will come, if ever, only after January. (And if his club failed to advance in Europe.)

No one can turn the current Fener squad around. Lucescu won't dip in. Only a money-greedy coach will (or someone forced).

IMHO. :)

1 - 20 of 273 Posts