Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have we improved ? Yes only if base on last year's standings which was the worst in recent years. But if we finsih 4th which look likely, & empty handed once again, I do think we are just only back to square 1.

Looking at it, GH have spent not less than 30M right ? If we did not improve on last year then ....

Actually I had high hopes of finishing with at least one tophy this season with the FA Cup more likely. Although I hate to admit it but with Man U withdrawing from it, I thought we had a fairly good chance. But we were knock out by Blackburn, which is now still stuck in the middle of Div 1.

I must admit that I am one of many who call for Roy Evans's head for a few seasons. Seasons when its a formality for a place in Europe, where we always up there challenging but can't maintain the form in the closing stages. No matter under which manager ,this bad habit of not playing well in final stages did not change. Last season we could still be in Europe if the players had did better.

For next season, again I hope for at least one Cup no matter which one. As for Premiership if we still can't be Champions at least take over Arsenal to be the strongest challenger to Man U.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Spot on. Liverpool have been the "number three/four" team most of the times in this decade, sadly. Last season was worst as we dropped to 7th.

Evans was quoted to say a few weeks back that Liverpool are back to the level when he was in charge. I presume it was "those times" when we always threatened but never deliver (one Coke Cup against lower division opponents). In that case, we've not improve at all.

I'm bitterly disappointed we couldn't finish second - it would have dealt Arsenal a deep blow and give United something to ponder about in the summer. Now Fergie must be smiling in his sleep - I'm 100% sure that he was fearing the worst when Liverpool's run of results this season threatened his thoughts for the next.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I'm in anoptomistic mode and think that if we had someone who could change a game in a moment (not refering to any equaliser in Celtic) then we would have the balance that we crave. Let's hope that Gerrad continues to improve and our strikers realize that the round thing goes between the two posts.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We've not improve, yes. We used to score lots of goals, now we're nearly 50 goals behind the Scums, and that's only in the EPL.

They've already score hundred over goals now including Europe and Cup competitions (LC). We've only got a miserable 63 (in all) and 51 (in EPL). Sad.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I agree, I miss the days when we smashed 5 past Forest and four past Villa. When Fowler scored 4 goals against Bolton was great, of course I'd rather consistency but why can't we slam a team like we used to.

·
Registered
818 Posts
On the subject of scoring lesser goals, I've posted a message two weeks back on the fact that no Liverpool players have scored a hat trick this season. Now this is unbelievable. We've a hat trick hero (sometimes up to four times a season) for the past decade, and now with a game left we've none.

We can't even put one past Southampton at Anfield. Consistency is one thing, but Man Utd are consistently putting four or five past their opponents.

It's great we've improved in defence, but our strikeforce are really a pain to watch this season. SG reminded us that we're about 50 goals behind the Scums. Now THAT'S really, really absurd to think of, but sadly, true.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Ok, we might be around 50 goals down on the mancs, but look at it differently, had they have lost Cole, Yorke and Giggs for 3/4 of the season, I doubt they'd have scored as many goals.

Now we have missed Fowler, Owen and Redknapp for at least half of the season, I think that the goal tally is quite impressive considering the players we have had up front, Camara is totally unpredictable, one game he can score two wonder goals, another game his shooting can be worse than McManamans. Meijer, as much as I like his attitude, to have played half the season and not Score a premiership goal is just not good enough. I'd still be keeping him, as he has a positive influence on the young players.
Next you have to question the midfield, yes Gerrard, Berger, Hamann et al have done the job to help out the defence this season, but they've not shown enough creativity for our front men. I think this is where we miss McManaman or someone with his ability to turn a game in a second.
I think Camara might be able to do this for us on the left wing, pushing Berger into his preferred central role.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts