Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thrope Will Missthe Olympic games

World record holder and Olympic champion Ian Thorpe will be unable to compete in his premiere event, the 400m freestyle at this year's Athens Olympics after he was disqualified for false starting in the preliminaries at the Australian Olympic Trials today in Sydney.

Thorpe was given the automatic disqualification in the 4th heat of the 400m prelims after slipping off his block and diving into the water before the starter's gun had fired.

Thorpe's club launched an appeal which was rejected by the meet referee and the jury of appeal.

The FINA 'no false start' rule is in effect at the Trials.

Australia Swimming President John Devitt said the decision would stand. In making the announcement, he said he was impressed by the manner in which all, from the athlete to management and media, had accepted that the rules must be adhered too.

A similar fate applied to Kieren Perkins in the 400m Freestyle at the Australian Trials for the 1996 Atlanta Games.

http://www.swimnews.com/News/displayStory.jhtml?action=get&id=2884

:rollani: i dunno why....but i'm so happy:eek: :D :rolleyes:

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
Pretty sick, although with Hacket the Aussies are still almost assured of the gold at the 400 M I guess. Don't follow that number that well. Ian could have better fallen at the 200 M free if I look at Holland's interest.

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
chivu said:
Pretty sick, although with Hacket the Aussies are still almost assured of the gold at the 400 M I guess. Don't follow that number that well. Ian could have better fallen at the 200 M free if I look at Holland's interest.
Am I allowed to comment this? ;)

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
I am deeply sorry for Ian and still shocked about it, but this can happen.
And the rules for the Australian swimmers at the trials are that strict, I fear there is abslutely no chance he will start in the 400m race in Athens in spite of being disqualificated. Ian´s also accepted this and will not take any actions against this decision.
So only the 100m and 200m free and 3 relays left to achieve olympic glory. If he qualifys for these single races.... (hopefully)

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
Well, I think the discussions will go on a while longer.... And I won´t be too surprised to see Ian starting in spite of not having qualified at the trials.

New hope for Thorpe
By Ray Chesterton
29mar04
AUSTRALIA's wonder swimmer Ian Thorpe may still compete in his favourite event, the 400m freestyle, at the Athens Olympics even though he was sensationally disqualified in the weekend trials.

Some of Australia's leading swimming and sporting officials are working behind the scenes to find a compromise that will allow Thorpe to compete in the 400m without disadvantaging the man who has qualified to swim, Craig Stevens.

A spokesman for the Australian Olympic Committee said there was a chance "it might play out that way".

"But it would be totally his [Stevens'] decision. We would not put him under any pressure," the spokesman said.

Former triple gold medallist Dawn Fraser said she expected a compromise to be advanced for consideration.

"I think a door will probably open up," she said on radio.

Thorpe failed to qualify for the 400m in Athens after being disqualified for breaking in his heat on Saturday at Sydney Aquatic Centre.

Thorpe toppled into the water, seemingly taking his hopes of swimming in the event in Athens to a watery grave. It was claimed Thorpe had heard a noise and the starter had held the swimmers on the blocks for too long.

The heat was won by Grant Hackett with Craig Stevens second and both automatically qualified for the only two 400m places open to Australia.

But Stevens, 23, is now the centre of attention as speculation mounts that he could choose to surrender his place in the 400m to Thorpe in Athens and concentrate on his pet event the 1500m - provided he qualifies.

He would also swim in the 4x200m relay.

Thorpe's manager David Flaskas last night said: "Ian would never ask his close mate Craig Stevens to relinquish his spot in the 400m in Athens.

"It is not in Ian's make-up for him to remotely suggest that Craig withdraw from the 400m freestyle. It's just not Ian."

Swimming Australia president John Devitt said last night it was too soon to be speculating on the final make-up of the team.

"Obviously we'll consider the finalisation of the team," he said. "But there is no present scenario under consideration."

Stevens, a former team- mate of Thorpe's before re-locating to the AIS in Canberra, admits he's wary of his situation after the Thorpe upheaval.

"I've put myself in the position to be selected," Stevens said.

"But I've got the 1500m, which is my main event, at the end of the week."

Prime Minister John Howard yesterday added his voice to the disappointment being expressed across the country.

(The Mercury)

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
delpi_vanni_10 said:
Well, I think the discussions will go on a while longer.... And I won´t be too surprised to see Ian starting in spite of not having qualified at the trials.

:yuck: what a sadness:yuck: :yuck:
damn i wont him:D :D :D
i want that all World talk only about Popov all the time and not about the others:howler: :howler: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Well Ian last night made it to the 200m, despite all the debacle of the past days. Opinion in Australia believes Craig Stevens shouldn't give up his 400m position for Thorpe.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
I think stevens should give up his stop for the good of the country.

On the other hand the stupid Australia swimming government body should be at fault the most there rules are stupid. In atheltics who have until July 15 to qualify for the olympics in swimming u slip and false start. So you dont go in the event ur almost for sure gonna win. Also what happens if you pull a muscle? u cant swim does that mean u dont qualify also?

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
Tuesday March 30, 2004
Pressure mounts on Stevens to give Olympic spot to Thorpe

SYDNEY: Ian Thorpe will not seek it, Australian Swimming and the Australian Olympic Committee will not intervene, but there is mounting pressure on Craig Stevens to give up his place in the 400m freestyle at the Athens Olympics after Thorpe's shock weekend disqualification.

Thorpe, the reigning Olympic 400m freestyle champion, world record holder and unbeaten in the event since 1997, was disqualified under world governing body FINA's contentious one-start rule when he overbalanced on the starting blocks and toppled into the water in heats at the Olympic trials on Saturday.

Then came the numbing realisation that with his stumble Thorpe had lost his chance to swim in the final and qualify for an Olympic spot in his favoured event, an outcome which has sent shockwaves throughout world swimming.

Grant Hackett subsequently won the final at the trials with Stevens taking second place to claim Australia's two positions in the 400m at the Olympics in August.

But the Thorpe bombshell has failed to subside and there was speculation yesterday that his 23-year-old friend Stevens would nobly fall on his sword and give his place in the event to the 21-year-old swimming superstar.

Thorpe will not ask Stevens to step aside to allow him to swim his pet event at the Olympics, according to Thorpe's manager Dave Flaskas.

Flaskas said Thorpe had accepted the disqualification and would not be asking his friend to make that sacrifice.

“They are great mates and it's been really hard on Craig and I wish everybody would back off a bit because there is no way Ian is going to ask Craig to step aside,” Flaskas said yesterday.

Officially, head body Australian Swimming are saying that Stevens won't be asked to step aside to allow Thorpe to compete in the 400m freestyle.

AOC chief John Coates admits Australia will not have its best swimming team in Athens after Thorpe's disqualification, but said he will not intervene to give him an opportunity to defend his Olympic title.

“I am very, very sad for Ian Thorpe, but one suspects that Ian will still qualify in a number of events,” Coates said yesterday. –

(the Star online)

Tuesday, March 30, 2004. 6:16am AEST

Stop Stevens controversy: Thorpe
Ian Thorpe has thrown his support behind Craig Stevens swimming the 400 metres at the Athens Olympics and called on critics to stop pressuring him to stand down.

Thorpe made his comments after finally booking his own place on the Athens team with a win over Grant Hackett in the 200 metres freestyle at the Olympic selection trials in Sydney on Monday night.

Stevens has been at the centre of controversy since finishing second behind Hackett in the 400m final following Thorpe's controversial disqualification in the heats.

Thorpe said he had hoped the controversy over Stevens' place in the 400m side would have died down by now.

And he called for critics to back off and let Stevens concentrate on qualifying for the 1500m on Saturday's final day of the selection trials.

"I'm sure he's going to swim well on the final day," he said.

"A lot of people are putting a lot of pressure on him, and it's undue and it's undeserved. I think all of us should support Craig's swim in the 400m freestyle at the Olympics."

Stevens finished sixth in the 200m final on Monday and is now in the running for a berth in the 4 x 200m relay side.

(abc.net.au)

They all should finally accept it and stop to discuss it any longer. Its unfair that a qualified swimmer shall give away his olympic ticket. RULES ARE RULES- AS HARD AS IT IS!
I remember the worldchampionship in 1994: german swimmer van Almsick failed to qualify for the final 200 free because she only had the 9th fastest time. So another german swimmer (Hase) who had the 8th time and a final place let van Almsick start instead herself. Van Almsick won the race in worldrecordtime.....

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
The Australian Olympic Committee expects Craig Stevens to give up his 400m Olympic berth in favour of Ian Thorpe after legal advice cleared the way for a swap.

AOC president John Coates said the fact that Stevens was trying to sell his story to media outlets indicated he had decided to give his spot to Thorpe.

"We do know that people acting on behalf of Craig have been doing the rounds to sell the story over the last week so we do anticipate he's going to withdraw," Coates told reporters.

"We do know that Australian Swimming has discussed with Ian Thorpe's manager whether he would take the position and the answer to that is yes.

"We haven't put any pressure on him. He's out there - or people on his behalf - purporting to get set up for an announcement to withdraw.

"Ian Thorpe hasn't put any pressure on him. There's certainly been a weight of public opinion that it would be nice for him to withdraw in favour of Ian and whether that's fair or not you can be the judge."

Stevens said on Wednesday he was still deciding but expected to make a decision within days.

Legal advice obtained by Australian Swimming (AS) on Thursday cleared the path for Thorpe - and not Josh Krogh - to swim the 400m freestyle in Athens if Stevens pulls out.

Under the criteria, AS will be able to nominate the next ranked swimmer should Stevens pull out of the event, which he qualified for after defending Olympic champion Thorpe was disqualified at the national trials for a false start.

There was confusion over whether that should be Thorpe or Krogh, who finished third at the trials and also achieved the necessary A qualifying time.

Alan Sullivan, QC, said the wording of the selection criteria did not fully reflect the intentions of the AOC and AS to pick the best qualified and available athlete should Stevens withdraw.

"In my opinion it is Mr Thorpe and not Mr Krogh or any other swimmer who satisfies the nomination criteria," said Sullivan.

Sullivan indicated it was the intention of AS and the AOC to nominate and select the best swimmer with the best prospect of success at the Athens Olympic Games.

Krogh ruled out accepting the spot on Thursday morning, saying he had accepted that he would not be swimming in Athens.

"Regardless of Craig's decision, the fact remains I didn't qualify in that event - I've moved on and will not be swimming at the Athens Olympics," Krogh said in a statement.

Coates conceded that the act of seeking legal advice had put pressure on Stevens but said it was an issue that needed clarifying.

"Australian Swimming came to us last week and said would you look at this because we're very worried that from looking at the words in our own criteria, if Craig was to withdraw he mightn't achieve the intended consequence," Coates said.

"You could have had an absurd situation where Craig pulled out, the next ranked in the event at national trials was Josh Krogh, he's pulled out and the position isn't filled."

Coates said it was important that had Krogh wanted to swim, he knew the legal position.

"If Josh had a legitimate interest it was important that he knew that and it wasn't just swept under the carpet," Coates said.

He said he believed AS would now redraft its guidelines to make the position clear before the next trials.

AS president John Devitt said Thorpe's 400m times from the world championships at Barcelona last year qualified him for the Olympics in the event.

He denied there was friction between AS and its leading swimmer.

"We have a very good relationship with Ian Thorpe," said Devitt.

"A suggestion that we didn't, I can assure you that it's never been difficult.

"If there were issues that needed to be talked through because of his stance of having to do things to incorporate his sponsors and things, we've always taken that initiative on board and discussed it.

"Terms are very good."

·
Registered
447 Posts
As expected Craig Stevens has announced on a local television station here that he will give up his spot to Thorpe in the 400m. I think this is the best outcome for everybody since we will now most likely get the first two places in the 400m, Stevens still has 2 events to contest and he'll get about $100,000 AUD for agreeing to make his announcement an exclusive for that television station.

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
I didn´t expect anything else! I think it was the pressure from media, public and maybe the swimming assosiation that forced Stevens to step aside.
Anyway.... I am happy Ian can start over his favourite distance now. :)

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
He'll swim in the 400 metres because in my book Craig Stevens opted for the money.They both should be ashamed of themselves,Ian Thorpe accepted Stevens' withdrawal and it was stated that Stevens' did'nt do it for the money.
Yeah and Pigs fly,Obviously the Olympics don't mean that much to some.:rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts