Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
That's what the belgian and dutch media are saying today. :)

Officially Feyenoord and Rangers haven't confirmed anything yet, but according to the newspapers the deal is as good as finished and there's nothing in the way of the deal anymore.

Thomas Buffel is a forward and belgian International. In his debut-year at Feyenoord he scored 18 goals in 31 games. Last year he scored 14 goals in 34 games. This year his place in the team was blocked by Ivorian revelation/topscorer Salamon Kalou.

2002/03 Feyenoord 31 18 Eredivisie
2003/04 Feyenoord 34 14 Eredivisie
2004/05 Feyenoord 14 2 Eredivisie

·
Registered
40,652 Posts
:eek:

Well, if it's true then you signed yourselves a class player. Last season he was IMO Feyenoord's best man, but this season another terrific player made his breakthrough in Buffel's position, Salomon Kalou, and therefore Thomas ended up on the bench.

Basically he's got it all, he works hard, is a good dribbler, has a great eye for the goal and he can pass. It's just too bad that we have 2 great players for one position.

If he signs, best of luck!

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BTW: sorry dudes for making a new thread, didn't see the discussion in the transfer rumours thread. :embarass: :lala:

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Kampfschwein said:
BTW: sorry dudes for making a new thread, didn't see the discussion in the transfer rumours thread. :embarass: :lala:
No problem Kampfschwein, thanks for posting this news.

From what you and Kampfschwein are saying it sounds like we have got a good player in Buffel. I know Guillit was originally looking for £5m but I think Rangers may have got him for £2m if the stories prove to be correct.

I know you guys have pointed out that he is a forward but does he play through the middle or is he a winger?

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Cheers for the info guys. If this is true it'll help lift a lot of the gloom around Ibrox just now. I thought that McLeish had blew his transfer budget with the result the other night. I'm under the impression that he's more of a playmaker chivo, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
40,652 Posts
Nah, he's something between an attacking midfielder and a forward, but definitely not a playmaker. Buffel should play next to an all out striker, that way you'd get the best out of both. And Chivo, he plays through the middle.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Thanks Drulo. I've not been impressed with McLeish playing Prso as a lone striker so maybe if Buffel was just behind him it may work.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Still not got any official confirmation. I'm not saying the deal won't happen, but I find it really hard to believe that we'd shell out even as much as £2 million for a player. It would go against virtually everything the management have been saying since the summer. If we do make the deal happen it's yet another sign that we're still prepared to go where Celtic won't.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Who would have thought when we paid out £12m for Flo we'd be saying £2m was too much for Rangers to spend? That's the reality but after spending £1m on Mladenovic when we had £50m more debt than we had now I think they can afford it.

·
Registered
59,097 Posts
Buffel should do well if you guys sign him. He's performed better here than Larsson ever did (not saying though that Buffel will score as much as Henrik but he should be able to get 15 odd a season if he finds back his match fitness). It might take him a month or two to find back his match fitness since he's hardly played for us this season and when he has, he's looked well off the pace.

Only other question mark about him I have is his physical presence. He isn't the biggest and I guess the whole SPL is filled with more Fernando Ricksen/ Alex Rae / Neil Lennon type of players but saying that I do expect him to suceed up north :) as Arteta wasn't so big either

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Buffel himself has also mentioned Larsson in an interview he gave which can be found on the Sky Sports site. He said that he is interested in a move to Rangers using Giovanni van Bronckhorst and Henrik Larsson as examples of players who have moved from Feyenoord to Glasgow and done well.

It's looking good at the moment.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
There are some rumours in the English press that Spurs are trying to get Buffel for £3 million to replace Defoe if he moves to Chelsea. Doesn't make much sense to me given that Mourinho has repeatedly said he won't be buying anyone in January.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Angle_eyes said:
There are some rumours in the English press that Spurs are trying to get Buffel for £3 million to replace Defoe if he moves to Chelsea. Doesn't make much sense to me given that Mourinho has repeatedly said he won't be buying anyone in January.

Well Chelsea doesn't make sence anyway. I think they bought Joaquin, or that's the rumour anyway, while I think they don't need him.

Anyway Buffel is a great player, a top class player by Eredivisie standards. However, we basically need a good midfielder and some good backs, I can't understand that we'll spend 3M for an attacker when we have other leaks in our team to worry about and have to watch out for every penny :eekani: Good thing about this tho is that he's still very young as well, so he we can make a profit over him in three years or something. On second thought, bring him in :thmbup:

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
I think we'll have to wait till January for this one. No doubt the rumour mill will keep churning in between.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
We definitely need to strengthen up front, Prso is frustratingly poor at finishing off chances so it would be good to have another goal scorer in the side, especially if Novo continues to pick up silly bookings. Not seen much of this Buffel character but from what I have seen he looks half decent, not sure about the price tag though.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
It's a bit of a joke that we only have 4 strikers, espcecially since he can't get them available together. With Novo's suspensions it's just as well Thompson's back to give us 3 to choose from. I wouldn't be surprised though if Shota or Stevie breaks down again sometime soon which would really limit the options.

·
Registered
59,097 Posts
They're saying it's a done deal between the 2 clubs with 3,5 million euros being the reported fee. Buffel apparantly will confirm the move when he agrees from a short break he;s having in Paris. Congrats already btw :) (another player we've sold for far too little :( but not as bad as with Larsson :eek: )

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Cheers Wally :) . F*** Off Interista :D .

1 - 20 of 60 Posts