Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, one of Paulmay's posts got me to wondering...what do you guys think is the reason that some of the top teams are getting knocked out so early (not going through to the knock out phase)?

Obviously injuries and some bad luck play a big part...but, I am of the opinion that some of this has to do with the fact that the World Cup was a bit early this year and cut close to the European season. Players just haven't had time to rest and heal some of their injuries....

What do you guys think could be the reason????

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
They probably went into the tournament thinking they'd clean up. They thought advancement was guaranteed. Then they stumbled a bit but still didn't take it serious. Now they're paying for it by going home early.

Look at France. Yeah, their best player was missing the first two matches, but they had the depth to play well. But they played uninspired and sloppily, and Lemerre came up with a line-up that was horse****, anway.

Portugal's loss to us was a great example of overconfidnce, but at least they got the message and went on to tear Poland a new one.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I think the gap between the teams are closing. When the French Nats all play in other countries and the French League is full of Senegalize, Senegal will have their number.

You are also right JureM. These guys are playing 3 games a week. The body just can't take that kind of beating.

I also think the enormous pressure on some teams cause them to choke. They must be envious of the USA. Our national psyche isn't ballanced on a soccer ball. I feel for the people of Argentina. But their players are cheats, so the hell with them.

Brasil is defying all that with marvelous ball. They cheat too. I hope they lose.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very good point the both of you. I agree with the satement that the gap is closing...and the reason I think is because with the amount of money involved in the big leagues of Europe there is that "win now" mentality. What happens is that teams start buying players from all over the world at the expence of developing the young native born players. The foreign players are also entering these leagues at a younger age and then pick up on the style of that country...

Another thing...many coaches are going to other countries to coach...for example Hiddink of Holland. He is in Korea coaching the NT there. What happens is that he has been taught under the Dutch system of "total football" and thus he brings that style to the Koreans...in other words, another countries style is melting in to anothers....

Also, teams can't stay married to one style of football either. The English for example seemed to be married to that long ball style of football. Well, it took them how long to figure out that game has passed them by and are playing a lot more with the short passes...the Italians are in that same boat as well. They play a defensive style and wait for the other team to make a mistake and go on the counter attack. The problem is, that players are so good no a days, that mistakes are few and far between.

Last...just as in ice hockey, the goalies are much better and more athletic than they were in the past.

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Maybe it is also the start of a shift in power, with some of the more powerful countries becoming weaker and with some of the weaker countries becoming more powerful. Nothing lasts forever.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everything goes in cycles...that is unless you're th yankees...they just keep winning...;)

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Its really got nothing to do with Injuries, there have always been injuries in the WC and leading up to it. Its more due to the fact that Football has become more popular around the world than ever before. As the lesser countries become exposed to the game and being tought by foriegn coaches, Players leaving there native lands to play, become more advanced. What this has done is allowed the other nations to catch up.

In the past when some one like Zadan goes down there second choice player was still better than most other nations best players
today that is not the case. Injuries may have made the playing field even but developement has a more direct bearing on current events.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
JureM said:
Well, one of Paulmay's posts got me to wondering...what do you guys think is the reason that some of the top teams are getting knocked out so early (not going through to the knock out phase)?

Obviously injuries and some bad luck play a big part...but, I am of the opinion that some of this has to do with the fact that the World Cup was a bit early this year and cut close to the European season. Players just haven't had time to rest and heal some of their injuries....

What do you guys think could be the reason????
A post of mine got someone thinking? It must have been a mistake. Which one was that I must write it down and frame it.:D
One out of 730 can't be all bad. See OSF there is hope for me yet.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Re: Re: This World Cup So Far....

PAULMAY said:

A post of mine got someone thinking? It must have been a mistake. Which one was that I must write it down and frame it.:D
One out of 730 can't be all bad. See OSF there is hope for me yet.
Most of your posts get me thinking, PaulMay. They get me thinking, "What the hell was he thinking about when he wrote that?!" :tongue: :howler:

·
Registered
674 Posts
JureM,

B/C I know you're lurking on the board right now, let me extend personal condolences for the untimely departure of the Croations. Bummer.:depress: :depress:

They didn't play anywhere near their ability and got burned for it. Also got some bad calls at key times. Bocksic (sorry sp!) paid the price for being so cock sure of himself going in. I read a few quotes attributed to him that foreshadowed his fall.

Anyway, they ended up giving a good account of themselves from the effort standpoint, but the results they received were approximate to the effort/skill/strategy they put in. IMHO. I'll pull for them in the next WC and any other championships they qualify for. Enjoyed my visits to the Xtratime Croation soccer forum. I'll put a note to the guys ther, too.

Oldplayer

This post is generally in keeping with this thread.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Oldsocfan said:
Just don't let your wife know about this, my friend, as she may freak out! :D :dielaugh:
Yah I know I started to walk around with a big head for a while and it didn't take her long to deflate it. :depress:

I have to take it from her but the rest of you could at least let me have my Five minuets of glory. So you can all :kiss: My :ass:
:D

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Oldplayer as well...

Well, their demise was the fact that the coach thought in was 1990 and not 2002...he went away from Croatian Style soccer which is more in the "Brazilian mode" of playing to a very defensive style of play that was just ugly....

The other problem was that we could not put together more tahn 5 passes in a row...not good if you want to win....they just didn't have the desire this year, but what can you do....footie is footie...

Good luck to all the teams that advance...and lets hope that one of those teams is the US...;)

By the way Old...my dads cousin lives in a place called Guyman in Oklahoma....it somewhere on the panhandle...and basically the saying "you can't get there from here" is very much true when it comes to Guyman..:D

·
Registered
674 Posts
JureM, Guymon is in the middle of nowhere, even by Oklahoma standards. Of the 17,000 people that live in the county, 16,000 of them live in Guymon. If you like sunsets, nice vistas, flat terrain and commercial hog farms, it's not a bad place. And it's only two or three hours to the next city of 20,000 people!:howler: :D

Oldplayer

1 - 17 of 17 Posts