Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a lot of talk about the team being too young and men against boys last night but a lot of these players after having a lot of experience of first team football can be handy to have in a squad but not just starters. Players like Denilson, Diaby and Bendtner can be useful to call upon in a long season. Song has proved himself to be an able first choice back up at DM.

So rather than fixating on these younger players maybe now is the time to put the spotlight on the "senior" players in the team who are seen as first choice material and look to discard some of those to make a clearout and be serious about making this team real challengers for the top honours.

I think Wenger could call upon let's say 30 million to make investments in the side for top quality replacements but if spending all that money in one go is alarming to Wenger and the board they could supplement that with selling of some players and show a reasonable balance on the money side while still strenghtening the team.

Players to be let go:

Almunia Won't get a lot of money for him and he has had a good season and kept us in the Man.Utd tie but there is something about him that smacks of having decent but not the best performers in the club. He was in fact my idea of the player of the season and that says a lot about the season rather than how great Almunia has been. Seeing him last night beaten like that by Ronaldo when he was so slow to react and seemed to get himself in the wrong position puts question marks over him in the real big matches. Spurs at home beaten by a long distance too. The crunch games there is a worry about him.

Toure He improved considerably from earlier in the season but he is not a true leader of a defence and never will be. It's a close thing between him and Gallas on who is the most dispensible but Gallas just edges staying on being the better all round defender though Wenger should be looking to let Gallas go in the next few seasons too. The defence needs a complete breathe of fresh air and new faces. Toure the first to go, Gallas to follow at a later time. Could get decent money for him still.

Van Persie He is such a good player to watch but he seems to be a bit of a luxury at times. He proved his worth when Arsenal were going through a lean patch in the middle of the season and single handedly kept the team floating with good performances and goals. But would he be really greatly missed? He could be let go and some club out there could pay decent money for him

Adebayor He is a decent player and have never gone down the line of hating on the guy as some do here but really he doesn't seem to be a top, top player and the difference between him and Ronaldo leading the lines was like night and day. Just goes to show that if you want someone upfront on his own it doesn't have to be a tall, big centre forward. The size of course is irrelevant. The Bayor just doesn't seem to have an all round game on too may occasions to be seen as top quality. Wenger could still wangle out for some deal for him although it probably won't be as much as last summer.

So selling those players could get a healthy amount on the already existing transfer budget. With the money:

Bring in a new GK, new CB, new DM and a CF. This would provide a new spine to the team and would reinvigorate the side.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I would still keep Toure. I had some doubts on him at the beginning of the season, but he has steadily improved and is good enough to at least be a back up central defender. The only problem would be whether he would be willing to do that seeing as he has already made a fuss already this season when he wasn't chosen in the first XI for a while. I would have loved for Gallas to have been avaliable during the matches against Chelsea and United because a lot of fans were starting to like the partnership between the two again and playing against the big sides would have been an indication of whether these two players can be the central two in a side that wants to win honours. Wenger has to make a decision whether he signs a defender to replace Toure, or he sticks with Toure and Gallas and signs a defender to compete with Djourou as back ups to Toure and Gallas.

A lot of people use the excuse of who is available on the market and I don't know, but it is up to Wenger and his staff to find these players seeing as that is what they bloody get paid for.

·
Gooner
6,780 Posts
I would sell no senior players. I would sell Bentdner and Denilson if anything. With Kroenke we have enough money to spend £30M or so without selling anybody. All depends if Wenger is willing to do so.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Out = Adebayor, Denilson, Bendtner
In = Dzeko, Y.Toure, Spahic

·
Pepe the Beast
4,493 Posts
In all honesty I would add Cesc as well if you really mention some of the senior players above.

I'm not saying I would like him sold... but look at what would happen if we did have to unload him...

- We could stop playing players out of their natural positions just to accomodate him. Think about how many top players we have tried playing on the wings just so Cesc could play. (Rosicky, Hleb, Nasri, Diaby, even Arshavin in a way)

- This gives us much more flexibility to change up our tactics and formation.

- He would easily provide us with the most cash out of any of the players you listed above.

- He did also come off an all around bad season, even if he was injured for almost half of it.

Now once again let me say, I would much rather keep him. However, I see more benefits with selling him than any of the players you mentioned above. After the last few seasons, no ones place should be 100% secure on our team.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Ade for 20-30 MP and that is all.

Dude is a cancer and making Henry money without coming anywhere near Henry quality. We need another match winner we have Arshavin but we need one more, Chelsea have DD and Lamps, Liverpool have Stevie G and El Nino, Man Utd Rooney and CR7...

Unlikely but Arshavin and Benzema..SWETTTTTTTTTT

Can't afford another summer of so many players exiting, takes to to acclimate oneself to a new club save Comrade Arshavin.

+CB and CM

WE'RE SET!!!!!!!

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well players exiting is a problem if there are no able replacements like what we have seen in previous seasons. This is a 4 out, 4 in scenario with suitable replacements. Maybe it is a bit too radical for some ;) Just feel that this team needs more than just one replacement to be seen as being really serious. The players mentioned apart from Toure have been here for a while and the team have won nothing. In my eyes that is more damning than any of the younger players. Again can't see why getting rid of some of the young 'uns like Denilson and Bendtner would be beneficial. It is not their fault that they have had too much put on their plate too early by Wenger and they would be decent back ups in the squad.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
players in(impossible to predict but these would be my realisitic choices)
IN
brede hangeland- has had a fantastic season, proven international for norway, and fantastic in the air- something we desperately need.
mahammadou diarra- top class defensive midfielder, there aren't too many who i believe will be available, yaya toure will stay at barca. would be pricey, but would give us huge strength in the centre of the park. with the elections going on at rm it remains to be seen what his future holds.
pandev- very good striker, eye for goal and great pace- and we know arsene likes his eastern european players. apparently "6 out of the 8 clubs in the quarter finals of UCL have made their interest known to lazi".
OUT

Van Persie- i like the guy and realise he is a good footballer, but he just doesnt fit in with our style. he slows our play down- is easy to defend against a lot of the time, and doesnt give us the movement we need against the top times (eg last night). he has complained about the lack of silverware he has got here, but his performances are part of that failure.

traore- gibbs is a better lb than him in my mind and so i dont see where he could play for us. great pace but not enough quality on the ball.,

denilson- loan- i cant see him getting many oppurtunities next season- wenger's trust in him seems to be decreasing- either him or ramsey need to go on loan, and i choose denilson because he is at a stage where he needs to be getting regular football, still believe he is a good prospect, just not ready for us yet.

silvestre- was never any more than a stop gap solution, with senderos coming back there is no need for him.

4-4-2- against the smaller teams- walcott imo should be an impact sub in games like last night.

-----------almunia---------------
-sagna--gallas---hangeland--clichy-
-walcott--cesc--diarra--arshavin-
--------eduardo-adebayor---------

------------almunia---------------
--sagna--gallas--hangeland--clichy
-------------diarra----------------
nasri---fabregas--rosicky---arshavin
-------------adebayor-------------

therefore first team squad.

GOALKEEPERS-almunia, fabianski, mannone
DEFENDERS-sagna, eboue, toure, gallas, hangeland, senderos, djourou, gibbs, clichy
MIDFIELDERS- walcott,, nasri, diaby, song, diarra, fabregas, ramsey, wilshere, rosicky, arshavin
STRIKERS- eduardo, adebayor, pandev, bendtner, vela,

a big squad, but with the injuries we get and the ANC i feel we would have enough cover

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Ade for 20-30 MP and that is all.

Dude is a cancer and making Henry money without coming anywhere near Henry quality. We need another match winner we have Arshavin but we need one more, Chelsea have DD and Lamps, Liverpool have Stevie G and El Nino, Man Utd Rooney and CR7...

Unlikely but Arshavin and Benzema..SWETTTTTTTTTT

Can't afford another summer of so many players exiting, takes to to acclimate oneself to a new club save Comrade Arshavin.

+CB and CM

WE'RE SET!!!!!!!
Spot on T4L
get rid of that Ade only
get
Villa/Benzima/ElHamdaoi
Bassong/Sakho/Albiol
Toulalan/Cana/Melo

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I wouldn't actively be trying to sell anyone this summer unless we really do lack the necessary funds to bring in reinforcements. A decent offer for Adebayor or van Persie though and I'd probably take it, something about RvP just doesn't seem to 'fit' within this team and I think he's been desperately disappointing at times this season, Adebayor we all know has just failed to live up to his billing. Taking a look at the team, up front is the only position where I look at the players we have and see relatively experienced starting players who I'm really not sure about.

In terms of buying, we should already be preparing bids for central midfielders - it's such a crucial position and Wenger's neglecting of it since Flamini walked on us this time last year is what has laid the foundations for the shittest season of his Arsenal reign. If Adebayor or van Persie was to depart I would probably look for another Arshavin, an attacking player with a bit of creative spark. Centre-back I'm not sure about - people are always banging on about it and I can see why, but I can't see how we can bring another CB in without getting rid of Toure or Gallas, and I wouldn't want that to happen unless it was a really great centre-half we were bringing in. Selling Toure just to bring in some big lump from a mid-table side would be counter-productive. I think the current back four could be successful enough if we focused on sorting our midfield out.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
First of all, I'd get rid of Adebayor.

Then, just add a world class striker and top class defender CB to partner Tourè. If possible, we should get Benzema, just like Tunis said.

This team needs to be reformed and should be based on lightning speed counter attack.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I'd keep van Persie as well. There is no need getting rid of players if the replacements coming in aren't going to be as good. Van Persie is quality, and if we all want Arsenal to be as good as team like United, Chelsea and Barcelona, then you need to have quality like him in the squad. United had Berbatov and Tevez as back up replacements yesterday, Arsenal had Bendtner and Vela. I say no more.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Some of you guys are talking about selling Toure but he is still one of the best defenders and has had to survive so many different combinations and partners, give him a break.

This is my take on things and balancing our budget in terms of selling and buying.

IN = Mamadou Sakho, Y.Toure OR M.Diarra, Mandanda, Santa Cruz (I wish David Villa but price I'm not sure).

Out = Denilson (loan), Adebayor, Silvestre, Traore, Senderos, RVP.

Mandanda

Sagna - Toure - Sakho - Clichy

Fabregas----Y.Toure/M.Diarra

Nasri

Walcott ---- Santa Cruz/Eduardo/Villa (lol) ---- Arshavin

That would be my line-up.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't think the club are in a position to have established players on the bench the way that Man.Utd do. It will forever be a losing battle to try and compete with United and their squad depth. What Wenger can do though is close the gap on United in regards to the First XI because at this moment in time not only do we not have United's squad depth which is miles better than ours of course but they have a far better First XI than us. Closing this gap should be the first step rather than thinking about squads.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
OUT:

Almunia - the second goal just about showed perfectly why he's not a true #1 at a top club. Ronaldo was 100km from goal. He was never going to go to the far post, it was always going to be near post, and Almunia's positioning was so poor he couldn't have spotted this. A top class keeper would have saved that one. I don't care how many freak shots he saves, you always sense there's an error in him coming. We've seen it plenty of times before.

Silvestre - kinda goes without saying.

Denilson - just isn't good enough. He has next-to-no creative ability so he can't be Cesc's understudy and his defensive game is so poor we can't play him next to Cesc or as a back-up DM. What's the point in keeping him? Some midtable club in Italy or Spain will probably pay enough for him so at least a profit should be made on his sale.

Diaby - lazy, inconsistent, unreliable, injury prone, bad attitude. Arsenal will never move anywhere while players like this continually be allowed to get away with showing up for one game in five when it suits them. Either loan him out or quietly send him back to France.

van Persie - his goal production is poor (he's barely out-scored Bendtner ffs) and he doesn't fit with the team dynamics. Sure, he is capable of some ridiculous pieces of individual skill from time-to-time, but that's just the problem. Where is the consistency? For most of this season van Persie has been an anonymous passenger with the usual occasional flashes of brilliance and weeks on the sideline injured. After five seasons at Arsenal van Persie has, really, contributed and produced absolutely f**k all. I would cash in while the going is good and sell him now while there is a chance to get a decent fee. He would certainly command £10m+ based on hype alone.

As for replacements ... I've no idea on that one. But that's where I'd start. Above all else we need a solid defensive base and if this is not addressed in the summer, Wenger should not be allowed to get away with it. Gazidis and, in all likelihood, Kroenke (as new owner) should come down with the hammer of the gods on him if he ****s it up. Again.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
I always tried to believe that RVP will follow Bergy's footstep but apparently I was wrong. He is not the player we can depend on especially in important occasions. He is not a consistent goalscorer and yet his appeareance on the pitch slow us down many times. So I don't mind to see him leaving this club.

Btw...Silvestre must be kicked out off the club, by force if necessary.

·
Pepe the Beast
4,493 Posts
I am hysteric when people mention RVP out but not Adebayor. Adebayor is just as inconsistant, He has a terrible attitude, and the minute he finds some long-term form he will be looking for a way out. He is a mercenary and much too arogant. RVP has shown himself to be a leader at times in the squad. No way Adebayor would put his arm around Gibbs to console him. Instead he came out today and said we need new players, likely expecting he will still be the first person listed on our line-up.

Not only that, but the prices going around for Adebayor are incredibly inflated. To think he is worth 35 million pounds even on his good days is laughable. Meanwhile, Van Persie was supposedly to go to Barca or Juve for something like 15 million pounds.

If the price is right I'm up for selling both of them, but to think that people would toss out RVP rather than Adebayor, well that is just ridiculous.

·
Pepe the Beast
4,493 Posts
If you guys are so concerned by the slow nature of RVP's playing, then why not switch out Cesc for a quick AM with speed then?

This would surely speed up our play more.:rolleyes:

Plus, if anything it is technique and skill that beats teams like Manchester United and Chelsea rather than speed. As you could see, they handled the speedy Walcott pretty damn well.

1 - 20 of 250 Posts