Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard some impressive predictions from some Saudi's about thier national team. They are confident that this team may make it to the 1/4 finals.

However, I remember reading not too long ago in a magazine that they will be another laughing stock - my guess is that perhaps the author hasn't watched them enough.

Whose predictions do you deem more accurate?

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Hi..

I'd say somewhere in between the two predictions u have..

I don't believe we have the infrastructure and management to take us to the QF.. we do have a good crop of players (IMO better than the 2002 team by far) but the decision to change the manager six months before the finals and replacing him by a relatively unknown (Paccitta, a Brazilian who coached he Brazilian Youth Team and Al Hilal in Saudi) is something I'm strongly against.. Yes Calderon wasn't a super coach or tactitian.. but he got the best out of the players.. and got us to the finals without a single loss (in a group that included South Korea [we beat them home and away] and Kuwait) and I just believe the timing is wrong..

We could end up with zilch.. and we could surprise some of the experts and maybe sneak a ticket to the 2nd round.. that's how much of a Jekyl & Hyde team we can be..

MacoBoy, yes the 1/4 finals is a stretch.. but why the very pessimistic expectation? I don't expect us to get anything against Spain.. but Tunisia is a 50-50.. and although the Ukraine are very strong.. u never know..

Reminds me of USA94.. we got Holland (ala Spain), Morocco (ala Tunisia) and Belgium (ala Ukraine).. we lost narrowly to Holland.. won by a freak goal against Morocco and beat Belgium 1-0 to make it through..

As I said.. could be the same.. or another failure (more likely to be similar to France98 than Jap/Korea02 if u ask me)

·
totally innocent
2,227 Posts
Yasir put it perfectly.
Personally, any hopes I had quickly faded once our idiotic FA reminded me of it's ahem... unique management style.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts