Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you think about it, did france really win euro 2000 and world cup '98?

When you look at the lin-up for france, you will see that barly anybody is from mainland france!! Barthez, Deshamps, Petit,Blanc..... anyone else? Dessailly,Lama,thuram,veira are all from ghana!! Djorkaeff, Zidane, Trezuguet are all from Algeria!! I could go on, but I think you got the picture. I think it should be players that are born in the country.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts

Djorkaeff is originally from Armenia not from Algeria.. But who cares .. Imagine of Zidane only wasnt there, I bet they would have never won any of the tournaments..

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
and trezeguet is rom argentina!

but to answer the question: you're right that it's not that obvious. on the other hand coutries like holland also have a lot of "foreign" players. do you make a difference between foreign players that are born in a european country (emile m'penza is born in belgium, but is originally from congo) and players who took a european nationality (desailly who was born in ghana and became frensh)?

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sabry, they said on the final that djorkaeff and zidane were algerian. But I still say that there should be a rule: if you want to play for a country, ONE of your parents has to be BORN in the country. Take for example Robert Pires: If he wanted to play for Spain instead of France, he would be able to because his Mother is spanish. fair?

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
SPANIARD: that would be quite a hard rule. I think you should have spend most of your life in the country you want to play for. What if you're parents moved to say Belgium when you were 5 years old? I think you should be able to play for Belgium 'cause this is then your true home-country.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Well i think that Thuram is from one of the French speaking caribean countries...but anyway the whole French team is not originally French, but then what is it to be French, so i guess that was the French team that won The World cup and the Euro

1 - 6 of 6 Posts