Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i read that the technical staff of the under 23 team is blaming diego for brazil's failure to qualify. here the article:

Diego takes the blame
Tuesday, 27 January 2004

By Patricio Figueroa
Midfielder Diego has been made out to be the scapegoat for Brazil's failure in the pre-Olympic tournament in Chile.
The Santos playmaker was singled out by Brazil's technical staff for his attitude going into the games and his selfishness on the pitch.

Sources close to the national team set-up say that he may take some time to get himself back involved with Brazil after his display.

"We will have to wait a long time to see Diego playing in a yellow shirt again," a source from the Brazil Football Confederation was quoted as saying.

"His behaviour on and off the pitch lacked what we call 'national team spirit'.

"He still has to learn a lot about this game."

Diego, who has been chased by Premier League side Tottenham Hotspur, was accused of being too greedy with the ball by his team-mates, of not concentrating too well for the matches by his coaching staff and his statements to the press were not well received either.

"The atmosphere inside the group could have been too relaxed, with many jokes, that's true. We lacked some maturity," Diego admitted in Sao Paulo.

Branco, who is in charge of the co-ordination of the youth teams, will send a report to the CBF in which only six players will be considered innocent in the failure.

Gomes, Edu Dracena, Alex, Fabio Rochemback, Dudu and Daniel Carvalho are thought to be the players who will not be blamed

blaming diego(any player for that fact) is a pathetic excuse. i tell you who should get the blame. i blame CBF for not having kaka our best player. why did CBF let milan have kaka? i bet you if the coach was scolari,the team wouldn't have the disciplinary problem they are talking about. diego was being this.... diego was being that.... well, take drastic actions bench him.
be honest people! the whole team stinks.

·
Banned
37,734 Posts
brazil forever,

It is part of brazilian football culture to blame someone. And Diego is being blamed this time round after all him and Robinho were mainly joking in TV, putting shorts down etc..

It may be unfair as football is a collective sport, but i think it is good for him to receive the blame and look at his actions and the way he has been playing. He is being to much of a prima donna and being labelled as a scape goat of the elimination will be better for him in the long run.

He has a tough personality and he can cope with the deserved critisism that he is getting and will get even more provided he does not play up to the standards that are set for him. This is Brazil... if you put that short on you must know the responsibilities..... and that goes to ALL players;)

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
It's not entirely true that the blame was deposited solely on Diego's account. The media is just making a negative hype around Diego proportional to the positive hype that existed before. What officially happened was this...

brazil_forever said:
Branco, who is in charge of the co-ordination of the youth teams, will send a report to the CBF in which only six players will be considered innocent in the failure.

Gomes, Edu Dracena, Alex, Fabio Rochemback, Dudu and Daniel Carvalho are thought to be the players who will not be blamed
Branco didn't mention Diego specifically (that I know of): he listed these players who are "blameless", and gave this list to the media. The problem is that the list includes half the team. :rolleyes: Which would mean that the remaining players – Maicon :yuck:, Wendell, Diego, Marcel and Robinho – ARE to blame. I mean... if he says that one half of the team doesn't deserve to be blamed, doesn't that mean that the other half DOES deserve it?
:confused:
I understand that Branco needs to write a report of the pre-Olympic tournament for CBF, pointing out who did well and who didn't; that IS his job as head of the Brazilian delegation. but I personally thought it was unethical to announce the list of "blameless" players to the press, since it's a cynical way to point fingers at the "guilty" ones, by exclusion. Branco may be a nice guy but that was just plain WRONG. That (official) list should never have been made public. :(

brazil_forever said:
blaming diego(any player for that fact) is a pathetic excuse. i tell you who should get the blame. i blame CBF for not having kaka our best player. why did CBF let milan have kaka?
CBF didn't have a choice. FIFA allowed Milan to keep Kaka, Sevilla to keep Julio Baptista and Benfica to keep Luisão. :devil: But really... that's not the reason we lost. Kaka might have made a difference but we could've qualified perfectly well even without him; it's not like the guys who played were untalented. It wasn't a technical problem that eliminated us... it was a problem of attitude. Kaka would not have solved that problem.

A manager like Scolari might have made a difference and whipped the kids into shape, yes – but that's immaterial, because 1) Felipao is not available and 2) he was never interested in the job. :undecide:

I see the paulista press now saying it should have been Leao instead of Gomes... why? So he could blame the referees, as he always does? At least Ricardo Gomes acted like a man and admitted his mistakes, something Leao NEVER does.

·
Banned
37,734 Posts
Leao can't critisizse Gomes the way he is doing

At least Ricardo Gomes never put someone of the calibre of LEOMAR:eek: :eek: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: as the CAPTAIN of Brazil.

T

·
0 Posts
brazil_forever said:
i read that the technical staff of the under 23 team is blaming diego for brazil's failure to qualify. here the article:

Diego takes the blame
Tuesday, 27 January 2004

By Patricio Figueroa
Midfielder Diego has been made out to be the scapegoat for Brazil's failure in the pre-Olympic tournament in Chile.
The Santos playmaker was singled out by Brazil's technical staff for his attitude going into the games and his selfishness on the pitch.

Sources close to the national team set-up say that he may take some time to get himself back involved with Brazil after his display.

"We will have to wait a long time to see Diego playing in a yellow shirt again," a source from the Brazil Football Confederation was quoted as saying.

"His behaviour on and off the pitch lacked what we call 'national team spirit'.

"He still has to learn a lot about this game."

Diego, who has been chased by Premier League side Tottenham Hotspur, was accused of being too greedy with the ball by his team-mates, of not concentrating too well for the matches by his coaching staff and his statements to the press were not well received either.

"The atmosphere inside the group could have been too relaxed, with many jokes, that's true. We lacked some maturity," Diego admitted in Sao Paulo.

blaming diego(any player for that fact) is a pathetic excuse. i tell you who should get the blame. i blame CBF for not having kaka our best player. why did CBF let milan have kaka? i bet you if the coach was scolari,the team wouldn't have the disciplinary problem they are talking about. diego was being this.... diego was being that.... well, take drastic actions bench him.
be honest people! the whole team stinks.
i guess you are right about the diego thing, but don't you guys think we have the talent to win with or without Kaka in under 23 competitions? we only needed a tie afterall, it shouldn't have been that hard

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Re: Re: this is ridiculous

R9Brasil5 said:
i guess you are right about the diego thing, but don't you guys think we have the talent to win with or without Kaka in under 23 competitions?
In one word... yes. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Garrincha said:

CBF didn't have a choice. FIFA allowed Milan to keep Kaka, Sevilla to keep Julio Baptista and Benfica to keep Luisão. :devil: But really... that's not the reason we lost. Kaka might have made a difference but we could've qualified perfectly well even without him; it's not like the guys who played were untalented. It wasn't a technical problem that eliminated us... it was a problem of attitude. Kaka would not have solved that problem.

A manager like Scolari might have made a difference and whipped the kids into shape, yes – but that's immaterial, because 1) Felipao is not available and 2) he was never interested in the job. :undecide:

I see the paulista press now saying it should have been Leao instead of Gomes... why? So he could blame the referees, as he always does? At least Ricardo Gomes acted like a man and admitted his mistakes, something Leao NEVER does.
Garrincha, i don't know all the facts but i can't see under what ground fifa would let milan keep kaka. fifa's regulations stipulate that a club must let a player play for his national team as long as the call up has been done in the time frame set by fifa. i've read somewhere that CBF gave milan permission to keep kaka after days of negotiation(i don't know if it's true or not).
i chose the scolari illustration to show you that there was a lack of discipline due to the fact that branco is lacking attributes that make a good coach. if it were parreira or scolari that would never happen. for example, in the middle of the competition nigeria dismissed two players for their lack of discipline. why couldn't branco do the same thing? if diego was such a problem why couldn't he take such drastic action?

would kaka make a difference? yes he would have big time!! i only saw one game(the game against argentina). from what i saw, the team lacked a finisher. must of the players need 20 chances before they can score. it's my belief that kaka would have made a difference in this game. it's also my belief that none of these guys have reached kaka's potential although they aren't untalented.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

R9Brasil5 said:
i guess you are right about the diego thing, but don't you guys think we have the talent to win with or without Kaka in under 23 competitions? we only needed a tie afterall, it shouldn't have been that hard

the result speak for themselves..... NO!

·
Banned
37,734 Posts
yes we can qualify without Kaka even without Diego and Robinho (who is nothing spectacular IMO).

The level of the pre-olympic was pretty lost.. and again we lsot because of attidude and not lack of talent, something that we have in abudance in this country THANK GOD;)

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Re: Re: Re: this is ridiculous

brazil_forever said:
Garrincha, i don't know all the facts but i can't see under what ground fifa would let milan keep kaka. fifa's regulations stipulate that a club must let a player play for his national team as long as the call up has been done in the time frame set by fifa. i've read somewhere that CBF gave milan permission to keep kaka after days of negotiation(i don't know if it's true or not).
It's not true. FIFA officially gave Milan permission to keep Kaka, even though CBF wanted him. Yes, the rules determine that the club had to release the player, but FIFA RIPPED APART THEIR OWN REGULATIONS AT MILAN'S REQUEST. CBF was screwed up the ass and there's NOTHING they could do about it. Same thing with Luisão from Benfica.

Milan's (and Benfica's) argument is that Kaka and Luisão already participate in Brazil's 1st team on the Qualifiers, and that it would be too much to release him for both the 1st team and the Olympic team; adding the Qualifiers, the Copa America, the pre-Olympic and the Olympics, there would be too many international games this year. Milan squealed to FIFA, Brazil pointed out that FIFA's rules entitled them to call up the players for any official games, and even though CBF was right FIFA ruled in favour of Milan. :stress: :devil: :fero:

However – I still think that we lost not because this or that player's absence, but due to the boundless arrogance of the players who were there. Those spoiled "wonderkids" all thought they were SO good that victory was a matter of time. They didn't even bother running after the ball on the 1st half of the matches, because they were CONVINCED that 45 minutes of effort would be enough to win the matches. Fortunately they were wrong – their attitude is a disgrace to football and to the yellow shirt, and I'm relieved that they won't be in the Olympics to embarass us any further. :yuck:

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: this is ridiculous

Garrincha said:
It's not true. FIFA officially gave Milan permission to keep Kaka, even though CBF wanted him. Yes, the rules determine that the club had to release the player, but FIFA RIPPED APART THEIR OWN REGULATIONS AT MILAN'S REQUEST. CBF was screwed up the ass and there's NOTHING they could do about it. Same thing with Luisão from Benfica.

Milan's (and Benfica's) argument is that Kaka and Luisão already participate in Brazil's 1st team on the Qualifiers, and that it would be too much to release him for both the 1st team and the Olympic team; adding the Qualifiers, the Copa America, the pre-Olympic and the Olympics, there would be too many international games this year. Milan squealed to FIFA, Brazil pointed out that FIFA's rules entitled them to call up the players for any official games, and even though CBF was right FIFA ruled in favour of Milan. :stress: :devil: :fero:

However – I still think that we lost not because this or that player's absence, but due to the boundless arrogance of the players who were there. Those spoiled "wonderkids" all thought they were SO good that victory was a matter of time. They didn't even bother running after the ball on the 1st half of the matches, because they were CONVINCED that 45 minutes of effort would be enough to win the matches. Fortunately they were wrong – their attitude is a disgrace to football and to the yellow shirt, and I'm relieved that they won't be in the Olympics to embarass us any further. :yuck:
I may be wrong, but I read somewhere that the reason Milan were allowed to keep Kaka is because the Olympics and the Olympic qualifiers are not an official FIFA tournament, in the sense that the World Cup and Copa America are. That basically, it's someone else's tournament so they can't use their own rules to govern it. Again, just what I read.

Either way, as you all have said, Brazil still had enough quality to go through. And Blaming players specifically, either groups or (even worse) individuals is not on! That's not going to help anyone.

·
Administrator
29,709 Posts
A manager like Scolari might have made a difference and whipped the kids into shape, yes – but that's immaterial, because 1) Felipao is not available and 2) he was never interested in the job.
Of course, with the cowardice of CBF main team status, all afraid of Luxemburgo burning effect of 2000, that kept the main team and the olympic teams apart , Scolari would not be there...

The media is a exercise of unlearning...
Leao is the responsable for the attitude of Diego and Robinho, how would he correct them ? Actually last year, his temper caused Santos to constant downs and up making life easier for Cruzeiro, or are we going to forget what happened in the game against Cruzeiro in Mineirao and how after Leao's primadona show Santos allowed cruzeiro to open 12 points ?

So Rodolfo, Adailton, Nilmar and Paulinho barely played and they are blamed also?
I don't agree.
This is all crap and wont go anywhere. If Parreira have the slightly interest in the players he use that are playing in NT he would be there watching them, not here talking to the press. I have seen he also that the players are learning ,are not going to be blamed and their status with him do not changed.
I bet there is a relatory and I bet its about behaviador and i bet the media did not read it and is making a Amazon out of a corrego.

Brazil_Forever:

fifa's regulations stipulate that a club must let a player play for his national team as long as the call up has been done in the time frame set by fifa.
This is easy , FIFAs rules only work out for FIFA's official competitions. The Olympics are not, but from the Olympic Comitte.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts