Siam pronti alla morte

L'Italia chiamo, si

CIAO,

IASONO

ROMA VICTOR!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Italian football is way overated. Italy crash out of World Cup 2002 in the 2nd round and had only one Serie A team (Lazio) make it into the quarterfinals of the Champions League in the last 3 years.

The dull, boring defensive tactics of catenaccio is outdated. Italy sat back and tried to play for the win after Vieri scored, instead of finishing them off. Then the Azzurri played for penalty kicks after Korea equalized. After having played such ugly football against a team that they clearly had superiority over, Italy deserved to lose.:howler: :howler: :howler:

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Champ, Yes and No.

The Azzuri went out and made the same mistake, (but to a lesser degree), that we, (Portugal), did.

First, Italian players and Portuguese players were not over rated. They ARE technically superior to the Koreans, (or Americans for that matter).

Second, both Italy and Portugal deserved to lose, because instead of going out and playing to win, they tried all kinds of tricky strategies. We tried to get a draw, Italy tried to have it decided on penalty kicks.

The Koreans taught us a lesson. Play brave, play for goals, attack, attack, attack and NEVER give up. That is why they won, and that is why they deserve it. There was no fluke - they just played their simple basic game with all their hearts.

It hurts, (believe me I know), but that's the way it happened and anyone who says different is tying to fool you, or himself, or both.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you 'The Champ' thanks for updating me on Italian football history, but I still have pride for them as a true fan. You have truely informed me and have changed my perception entirely about my Azzurro. Thanks but no thanks for your true honest opinion. Next time tell me something I don't know about ITALIA, then maybe just maybe I will feel different about my team and culture, have a wondeful day!

P.S. The Azzurri is bad in your opinion, is that what your are trying to say, i cant quite make out what you mean. Maybe its because of that thick accent, but who knows!

·
Banned
2,832 Posts
Champ: Italy last played Catenaccio in 1974...nowhere to be seen since then, it died with Fabbri and Valcareggi.

To the point: I could not possibly be proud of this team, even if I consider that if the results on the pitch had duly been recorded, Italy has won each and every game they played. I am ashamed instead of their lack of fortitude, of mental toughness, of considering the seriousness of the situation at hand; of their unwillingness to undergo the trials and tribulations of proper and complete athletic prepping, of the bacwardness of their athletic trainers, of their medieval medical staff, not to speak of the usual last-minute cazzeggiare with a 1-0 that cost them Euro 2000 as it did the WC today

I expect more from professionals who represent the fatherland...

And the usual suspects blame Trap...what a sick f ucking joke

·
Registered
133 Posts
Azzurri1009,

I normally defend the actions and choices of the Italian NT, but this WC I have to make an exception. From before they left to after the Korea game, it was just horrible.

The only and best thing about Italy in this cup was the national anthem.

GRAZIE G. VERDI FOR YOUR MASTERPIECE (AT LEAST TRAP COULD GET HIS HANDS ON THAT TO RUIN IT TOO!!!):)

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Well FIFA has lot the glamour team of the tournament :cool: A lot of Japanese will be upset :D They expected to see then at Yokohama for the final.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Azzurri1009 said:
Thank you 'The Champ' thanks for updating me on Italian football history, but I still have pride for them as a true fan. You have truely informed me and have changed my perception entirely about my Azzurro. Thanks but no thanks for your true honest opinion. Next time tell me something I don't know about ITALIA, then maybe just maybe I will feel different about my team and culture, have a wondeful day!

P.S. The Azzurri is bad in your opinion, is that what your are trying to say, i cant quite make out what you mean. Maybe its because of that thick accent, but who knows!
It's nice to see that Italian and Portuguese fans can be unbiased and objective about their national team, unlike the English who have made excuses for their mostly 30 years of dismal performances.

To clarify my point, I think Tinto said it best. Italian and Portuguese players are technically superior to Korean ones. In fact they're also better than the current crop of German players too. We can boast of 1 world class player in Kahn but certainly don't have any Tottis, Vieris, or Figos. So the point is not the players, but rather the system. Catenaccio is too technical and cerebral. Too many tactics and mind games to the point where it is suffocating. The Koreans played with the HEART and mind and had a spirit in them that has been so lacking in Italian football. They just went out and played.

When Vieri scored, the Azzurri went into the defensive shell so typical of catenaccio. With all the superior talent, if Italy attacked further, they would have gone onto the quarter finals.

Italian football has some soul searching to do. Poor World Cup and Champions League performances don't lie. It's for the good to face reality so that the problems can be dealt with . That's not a bad thing. Germany has had to look in the mirror for the last 4 years.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts