Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nerd patrol, mobilize!

I've asked about it before, but to no avail, and now...I can't take it any more. The noisy fan in my computer is absolutely killing me. It only used to kick in for short periods of time when I was running many applications, but now it's a constant sound which lasts until I shut the computer off.

I cracked up the casing, and noticed it wasn't one of the fans on the back of the case, so to speak, but rather the one smack in the middle of the hardware. It says 'AVC' on it. How do I shut it the **** up? My first born for an answer!

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Maybe it's just dirty? I just cleaned up a noisy fan from my casing. It was so dusty but now it's clean and quiet.

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
Yes, that's probably it. The intake could be blocked with dust, so it can't suck enough cool air in and as a result it's on constantly. Hold a vacuum cleaner up against the intake (on the outside) see if that clears it up.

Disabling the fan wouldn't be a good idea, as it would cause your PC to overheat.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Happened to me to, but it was it was my power supply fan, kept getting making noise then it eventually stopped working, had to replace my power supply.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Well I don't know what AVC stands for, all I know is that I clean my fans once in 2 months or so to keep it nice and clean. You can also try and go to a computershop and ask the question there if nobody has an answer here.

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Brian|an said:
Well I don't know what AVC stands for, all I know is that I clean my fans once in 2 months or so to keep it nice and clean. You can also try and go to a computershop and ask the question there if nobody has an answer here.

How do you clean it?

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
i also heard this sound, i kept neglecting it till it blew off :googly: literally, so watch out.

i had to change the power supply ofcourse, wasnt the fan though.

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,472 Posts
I have a similar problem but its actually the oversized outlet plug for my modem...The piece of crap makes a horrendous hissing noise 24 hrs a day...The only way to stop it is unplugging it from the power bar, but that is nearly impossible in my house where two PC's are on constantly.... :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts