Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People who say "don't worry about the ref , if you were a good side you would have scored again" or "this has nothing to do with the ref, you just didn't play your best". Who really gives a **** if we didn't play our best or whatever, the fact is tat we have been robbed here, plain and simple.

Also people who say "get over it" or "you whingers" , well they don't know how it feels to be cheated but if they were cheated they would keep going on avout it as well.

**** soccer :D

Ciao

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
What people dont seem to realize is that the bad decisions being called here(Tommasi goal, and Totti red card) did not happen until after S.Korea equalized. The game should have been well wrapped up by then. Instead Trap brings in defensive mids, his negative tactics resulted in Koreas equalizer. Traps bad tactics came first, so the blame goes to him.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Haider,

Exactly. Well put. Both the refs and Trap can be criticized. But the ref issue would be inconsequential if Trap had done a better job.

I think there is a culture thing going on here. I think the Italians in general (and I am descended from Italians, so I am talking about my relatives) are quick to blame fate or "luck", or some conspiracy. They are quick to suggest corruption. Possibly because corruption is endemic in Italy, no offense, but it does have a reputation for corrupt officials.

I think other cultures foster different attitudes.

Anyway, to each his own. But if Italy doesn't come away from this humiliation without learning that their approach to the game is flawed, then it will be a damn shame. I was hoping that this would provoke the widespread recognition that they need to modernize their tactics. If they come away from this just thinking that they got screwed by the refs then they will never regain their glory, but will probably continue to decline. They will continue to field immensely talented teams that play not to lose, but inevitably do. No team can progress through a major tournament playing "not to lose" every game.

Here is the current BROKEN formula:
Step 1 - play not to lose
Step 2 - blame the ref when you lose.
Step 3 - go back to step 1.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Can't agree more with King Italy.

Could Brazil and Spain, who are playing the attractive, attacking football at the moment, be able to get over having such bad calls and judgement going against them?? Would the fans not lament if bad calls went against them? That is the relevant question to ask!

Sure, they may be able to have more attacking chances to score because of the way they play but that is no guarantee that they WILL score! Mexico played all the dominating attacking football against USA and see what happened to them? Done in by a fisted handball!

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I am not disagreeing on the referee. I agree that refereeing has been poor throughout, including the match Italy vs Korea, but what i am saying is that these incidents occured after S.Korea equalized. Italy shouldnt have let them equalize in the first place. Nobody is questioning Panucci and Vieri for their performances. Its the all too familiar cliched "oh its the ref"
I am a Italy supporter. I am also devastated by this, but the blame is nowhere but in Italian style of play itself

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree that the Italian style of play has to improve. Why Italy, with all its skills and talents, have to play defensive football is really beyond me. This is where Trap has to take the rap because he's the one to set the tone and the mentality of the players!

Why I bring up the issue of the referee is to raise the possibility that EVEN if Italy is able to change to an attacking style of play, if the playing field is not fair, Italy might still end up with nothing!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
khal i know im going a bit off subject but your comment about the u.s.'s win over mexico is b...sht. yes the mexicans were wronged by the penalty they should have been rewarded but apart from that they were totally outplayed by the states. give the u.s. the credit they deserve. what of the 2 brilliant goals they scored? where was mexico's reply? majority possession doesn't mean a team dominates another. i mean yeah the mexicans passed more then the americans and they were tactically more well positioned but such efforts were fruitless. how many scoring chances did they create as opposed to the states-this my friend is the telling tale,period!!! and as im a proud italo-american who is devastated by italy's exit don't you take away from my own country's successes which have been most deservingly achieved.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yankee,

I completely agree with you! If you read my thread again, my point all along has been that playing dominating football DOES NOT guarantee that you win the match! The USA took their 2 chances while Mexico did not take theirs and thats the bottomline.

The point here is that the handball COULD have been the turning point. Who knows what may have happened if the penalty has been awarded? The course of the whole match COULD have changed.

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Why does it have to be one or the other when it's clearly both? The stereotyping is what bothers me. Any team eliminated the way we were would be entitled to gripe about it endlessly (I shudder to think the meal the British press would have on this if 4 goals were stolen from them), but somehow we are expected to blame ourselves.
We are to blame for being cowards and for playing catennacio. That must change. FIFA is to blame for discriminating against us. That must change.

·
Registered
655 Posts
First of all why does everybody still think we play the catenaccio, trust me when we played it, it worked out. And things I ****ing hate are: really in no order.

1. Lazy forwards- hint hint ****ing hint TOTTI, when you lose the ball you, fight and fight and fight to get it back dont throw up your hands and walk back, and damnit pressure the back line when they are just passing it back and forth, pressre them have someone else cut off the passing lanes, hint-hint midfielders, dont allow a defense to set up passing lanes on you, you are the first line of defense, play hard offensively and defensively, (Note: This also applies to Vieri, Inzaghi, Montella, etc....)

2. "The Long Ball"- Why did the Azzurri start playing like this,it never works, I never saw them do that before, you have to keep your passes on the ground no longer than 10 to 15 yrds, anything else is hard to do or control.

3. Delvecchio. Dont ask why? just my damn opinion.

4. Ibrahim Ba- ?
5. Cois
6. Indonesia

wow off the subject again sorry guys...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts