Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Worth the call

i dont need to justify it.his performances speak for itself.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
New Inter signing Thiago Motta has sent Marcello Lippi a message for the World Cup. “I have an Italian passport and will play if he calls me.”

The Brazilian midfielder risked ending his career due to injuries and was released by Barcelona, but impressed so much in one season at Genoa that he has earned a move to the Nerazzurri.

“I have an Italian passport and if the opportunity to be called by Lippi arose, as I’ve said many times, then I would be happy,” he said in his presentation Press conference.

“If the Coach wants me, then I will join the Azzurri and play.”

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jul11n.html

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts

Inter are going to contribute another Top Italiano. :stuckup:

·
Administrator
52,970 Posts
Fvcking embarrassing.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
They are simply not Italian wheher they are good players or not. Lets have a National team of mercenaries. No I dont care if Italy became sh!t, as long as it was a team of Italians.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
What constitutes being an Italian? That is the question. Technically it is a passport. Why Camoranesi got into the team is a good question. I don't see other NT's taking in Brazilians and stuff, w/e of Deco with Portugal.

·
Administrator
52,970 Posts
Pulsy :howler:

And Deano said all that is needed to be said, period.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
lol.....i mean....is Motta that much better than D'Agostino? Different positions all together. But D'Ago can do anything Motta can whether its his natural position or not.

I dunno

you guys would gotta know how you want yr team to look

Balotelli Camoranesi Motta Amauri.

Balotelli is probably the ony one there who would turn down a call from his home nation

·
Registered
32,679 Posts
Pulsy :howler:

And Deano said all that is needed to be said, period.
Branding them mercenaries per se -- just for their ambition to participate in the greatest competition the game has to offer -- is fvcking miss-guided, though.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Okay, I admit I made a mistake but a lot of those guys w/e of Senna are not really high profile. W/e of Senna/Deco/maybe Motta, there aren't a lot of high profile non-nationality absorptions

·
Administrator
52,970 Posts
But what is their motivation? Its for sure not because they feel more Italian and only want to play for Italy or whatever else country, Amauri said he feels more brazilian and dreams to play for Brasil, Camo said he feels more Argentinian, Senna said recently he doesnt feel Spanish and his dream was Brasil etc (same with with Deco, Pepe etc etc).

Mercenary can be a harsh word, but when they are choosing NTs like they choose clubs, meaning one clubs (read: their country's) reject them, and to improve and benifite their careers and ambitions they pick another, then yeah the mercenary tag fits.

I would understand it more if it wasnt such a blatant case of picking and choosing others just because their countries reject them (they pretty much say so themselves, I mean, how is that acceptable? Legally, they have the right as citizens, but so what? When they are painstackingly clear where their loyalties lie).

And its not even about so much as rejection, because with little patience, several of them would eventually play for their countries, but they immediately pick other countries the minute some interest are shown (I have no idea why this impatient disregard for their country is too common amongst Brazilians). And its pathetic so many countries choose to take them. I really hope Italy dont go for Amauri and Motta.

·
Registered
23,826 Posts
lol.....i mean....is Motta that much better than D'Agostino? Different positions all together. But D'Ago can do anything Motta can whether its his natural position or not.

I dunno

you guys would gotta know how you want yr team to look

Balotelli Camoranesi Motta Amauri.

Balotelli is probably the ony one there who would turn down a call from his home nation
Balotelli? As far as I know he's never even been to Ghana so I wouldn't exactly called it his home nation.

·
MVP
8,990 Posts
Heeeeere we go again........! :doh:

He's an awesome player. He's not Italian. Now connect the dots.

End of discussion.

·
Registered
32,679 Posts
Mercenary can be a harsh word, but when they are choosing NTs like they choose clubs, meaning one clubs (read: their country's) reject them, and to improve and benifite their careers and ambitions they pick another, then yeah the mercenary tag fits.
Mercenary has only negative connotations, and has to do only with $.

I guess you could call every person in employment (or seeking employment or having retired from employment) a mercenary. :rolleyes:

These footballers are professionals and Motta likely wants to achieve as much as he can in his profession.

Everyone wants to go to the World Cup. Many are even willing to take a pay-cut to fulfil this ambition.

Most would prefer to go with their country of birth, but if not like that then with some other team.

·
Administrator
52,970 Posts
If you dont object to the line of thinking of your final sentence, then I have to ask you what do you think is the point of NTs. I understand if its somewhere you grew up or lived in, have connection to it, call it home, or if you havent lived but have strong connections to due to heritage&origins and immigration etc (like Turks, balkans and such choosing country of origin over the Germany they were born in etc), which is common due to a globalised multi-cultural world, and people sometimes having more then 1 option due to it.

But these cases are NOTHING like that, its simple and purely about benifiting and improving their careers and ambitions, nothing more then that at all. I mean, to actually read Senna's words about Brasil recently, he was honest, but its quite ****ing insulting for Spain, seriously, its ridicolous.

·
Registered
32,679 Posts
I'm just saying they are driven by ambition, but that the term mercenary is way too narrow.

Nesta admitted not to have celebrated the WC victory in '06, because his personal ambitions as a footballer weren't fulfilled (he was injured). Not because of money and not because of patriotism.

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
Has nothing to do with his qualities, or lack of them. Has a lot more to do with the thought (real or not/right or not) that the italian NT needs reinforcement right now in such position. I don't understand, nor like, that the Italian NT needs to go for such solutions.

Even if Motta was freaking Redondo+Rikjaard+Guardiola in one player, he shouldn't be call...because the mere soul of this sort of adquisitions is (even it sounds chessy as hell) going for the easy "solution" instead of the right one...the right one is:

- using another system.
- using a youngster
- giving chances to develope to another players with such role..
- etc...

The critic toward these sort of moves, is that people tend to talk about the quality of Motta to be on favour or not of his inclusion. While the issue isn't there even if Motta sucks big donkey balls or is excellent.

Italian football, which is more than just the NT, can properly find an answer to not having 5 players of diff qualities in every role to feel more secure, can have more patience to develope a player if there aren't a lot of players avaiable in a role and have finally the know how to use tactics/strategies that can easily avoid the inclusion of any foreigner, on any role in the NT.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts