Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love Serie A and I love watching it regularly. However, I feel that it is difficult for matches to be played at a high standard when the players are playing every 3 days! Not only does it degrade the quality of the football - but it makes it more difficult for the smaller teams who do not have the same depth as the bigger ones. There also tends to be more injuries when you play every 3 days. (on injuries, i think this year has the most injuries that i can remember).

So what should be done? Well for a start, they should start the season earlier. That is, they should try to start it at around the same time the EPL starts. This is also good for the national team because their first qualifying matches start when the season hasn't started or 1 week after the season starts.

They should try to avoid mid-week matches in between european competitions as much as possible. Between the group phase of the UCL and the 2nd round, there is a big break in european fixtures. It is around that time, that more of the mid week matches Serie A matches should be played.

If you start the season a month earlier and have the mid week serie A fixtures happening between UCL breaks, I think that will increase the intensity of the play and make more sense.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
There are 2 huge flaws with the english calendar tho....

1st of all they sometimes stop playing on some weekends to play meaningless and stupid cup games.

2nd of all they play a lot of games during the holiday season which in my mind shouldnt happen in Italy.

I agree tho starting about 2 weeks early would be a good idea.

Or maybe reduce the teams to 18 again???
Still cant complain that they expanded to 20 as that is how Fiorentina made it back to serie a, as I think they were 5th or 6th in serie B but still made it back.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agree on 18. With 20 teams you effectively add a month to the season or end up cramming the calender. Imagine how much better the quality of football would be if the season started 2 weeks earlier and you only had 18 teams.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts