Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dowie needs to strengthen the team in several key areas if Palace are to stand any chance of beating the drop. I'm sure he's identified the players he want's to bring in, but convincing them to sign for a struggling team could be a problem :moan:

In my opinion we need a minimum of 3 players: a left back, Granville try's hard but makes too many mistakes. Babayaro at Chelsea has said that he turned down a possible loan move to Palace.
Two midfielders. Our midfield has plenty of huff and puff but lacks players who can get forward and score goals like David Hopkin used to do or who can put their foot on the ball and pick a pass. Someone like Gravesen,Berkovic at Portsmouth, Michael Brown at Spurs,Tonge at Sheff Utd or even Glenn Little at Reading.

We still need another striker to help AJ , none of the other forwards seem to be able to make any impact, they're either injured or way off form.

·
Registered
14,901 Posts
Hmm, my knowegdle about Crystal Placae isn't big. Who is the first goalkeeper ? Kiraly ?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like there will be a big fat ZERO new players joining Palace , even the shitty ones like Zamora don't want to know :yuck: :dielaugh:
If Dowie can keep us up now it truly will be a miracle :angel: :strong:

·
Registered
866 Posts
Mart seems like every player want to play in Chelsea and win cups and be steady first 11. True is a fact that only handful can keep up with that pace. All in all what i`m trying to say is that nowadays every player has bigger ego than player abilities, just look Anelka....

but in all honesty CP squad should be enough for survival and most of it is now to Dowie to set up a game to his best giving the squad he has. If they play like they played against Spurs they are ON!!!!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish I could share your optimism. The chairman operates a very rigid pay structure and is well known for his dislike of agents. Should we stay up,players like Sorondo and Ventola would have to take a huge pay cut if they wanted to stay,becuase at the moment Inter pay half of their wages.
If we go down then it would be open season :cry:

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unhappy Gaffer

Crystal Palace boss Iain Dowie has admitted he was hugely frustrated at not being able to bring in new faces during the transfer window.

Indeed, Dowie believes the club's failure to bolster their squad could see them pay the ultimate price at the end of the season.

Unlike most of their relegation rivals, the South Londoners were not able to finalise any deals despite being in the hunt for a host of names including Dean Ashton, Nigel Reo-Coker, Francesco Coco and Anthony Le Tallec.

Their failure to do business was down in no small part to chairman Simon Jordan's refusal to deal with certain agents and pay transfer fees up front.

Dowie feels it is a stance that could come back to haunt the club, and insists dealing with and paying agents is a reality football clubs must now come to terms with.

"It's all about the ambition that we show and we haven't shown enough ambition," he declared. "That's the business we're in.

"Do I feel that we should have got some more bodies in? Yes, I do.

"I said before the window opened that getting a couple of players might prove the difference between us staying up and being relegated, and I stand by that.

"We're in the real world and we have to deal with agents - if you speak to every other manager, they will say the same.

"Every Premier League club, with the exception of one or two, have brought bodies in and we haven't. It's frustrating."

However, Dowie was fulsome in his praise of the players he currently has at his disposal who once again demonstrated their commitment to the cause with a gutsy draw at West Brom on Tuesday.

Indeed, the Eagles chief - who also took a swipe at the training facilities he and his team have to make do with - insisted that the attitude and spirit of his group gave them every chance of beating the drop.

"But the boys we have here have showed that they want to play for Crystal Palace, and that is enough for me," he continued.

"Every Premier League club - bar one or two - have an excellent day-to-day environment.

"The training grounds and conditions for players are very good. Our training ground has a very difficult playing surface, so we have a lot to put up with here.

"But the boys have been getting on with things manfully and the spirit and desire have been terrific.

"Whatever happens, this group of players will fight tooth and nail to stay where they are."

skysports

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jordan says his bit.

Jon Brodkin and Andrew Fifield
Thursday February 3, 2005
The Guardian

The Crystal Palace chairman Simon Jordan last night dismissed suggestions that his relationship with Iain Dowie is on the brink of collapse after the manager had seemingly criticised him by accusing the club of lacking ambition.

Dowie had expressed dismay that Palace failed to sign a player last month, claiming that it may make the difference between staying up and going down. He also implied the club have suffered as his chairman is unwilling to deal with some agents.

Jordan retorted by saying he made extensive efforts to sign players, is willing to work with agents and has put £40m into the club. "Unfortunately the players we identified were unachievable and it's got nothing to do with anybody's ambition, let alone mine," he said.

He stressed he is not criticising Dowie and added that he does not believe there is a problem between them. "Iain is doing the job he's paid to do and, if there was a problem between me and Iain, the first person to know of that problem would be Iain."

Jordan is likely to talk to Dowie about views which he aired after Palace missed out on several targets, including Dean Ashton and Bobby Zamora.

"It's all about the ambition that we show and we haven't shown enough," Dowie said. "Do I feel that we should have got some more bodies in? Yes, I do. I said before the window opened that getting a couple might prove the difference between staying up and being relegated, and I stand by that.

"We're in the real world and we have to deal with agents; every other manager will say the same. That's the business we're in. Every Premier club, with the exception of one or two, brought bodies in and we haven't and that's frustrating."

Dowie also suggested certain deals never "got over the line" because of Jordan's refusal to deal with certain agents and he believes some targets were not pursued aggressively enough.

"Having spent £40m of my money the one thing I don't have any concerns over is lacking ambition," Jordan said. "My money put Crystal Palace in the Premiership. Iain inherited a team which was patently capable, with proper leadership, of getting into the Premiership. He did a fantastic job, he got the team into the Premiership.

"I acquired 14 players at his request in the summer. We haven't acquired any in the window but we put in a £2.75m bid to Charlton for Jason Euell, provisionally accepted but the manager didn't want to sell.

"We put a £3m bid on the table to Crewe for Dean Ashton but they didn't want to talk to us. We offered Liverpool a £500,000 loan fee for Igor Biscan and £500,000 if we stay up. We offered West Brom £750,000 for a player [Neil Clement] that's got four months left on his contract.

"We offered £1m for Bobby Zamora who apparently didn't want to join because he was getting death threats on his mobile [from Brighton fans] . . ."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts