Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thats the Rui Costa we all know and love.
He came in as a sub angainst Poland and was involved in all of the goals...scoring one himself!
I hope he'll continue playing like this.
I also have to admire The portugese coach for not being affreid of putting a star on the bench. It looked liked it worked and Rui really had something to prove...and he did.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Hope he can continue like that, for us in the upcoming season.:)
To tell the truth, lets wait for the next game of Portugal. Will know if he is back for real.

Ciao

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
LEts hope so

but we will see vs south korea poland after all are ****e

Lav

·
Administrator
11,902 Posts
To me the funny thing is that the media (or other) pressure worked because he was actually benched. If that meant that he was
-(one of) the player blamed for the US loss or
-even worse 'sacrificed' to make way for a more defensive formation
I think the coach Oliveira should watch the US game again.
What does that tell about Portugal's chances??? If they had lost to Poland He was gonna bench Figo too???

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
The performance he put up against Poland doesn't mean much. He didn't even start the match.

In addition, the Poland defense was so wide open that even our Gattuso can make that thru pass, BUT, I have to say it's a very good moment fur Rui Costa to start regaining his confidence.

I just hope that he can start the next match against Korea and hopefully qualify to the next round, so that we can enjoy more of his great moves and passes. :)

·
Registered
13,960 Posts
This probably means that he should be benched in Milan next season too....If he´s that good from bench:rolleyes:
He could be a nice sub for Pirlo.

·
Registered
22 Posts
wow , a coach that isn't afraid to put his stars on the bench... maybe he should call Ancellotti , and tell him to put Pirlo instead of Rui...

BTW - i don't beileve we have any chance of seeing the real Rui Costa as long as Ancellotti and Albertini are in the club. Anccelloti puts him in a defensive position which enables him from providing terrific passes to the strikers , and Albertini plays in an "British" style with long balls and just skippes Rui Costa and ignore his presence.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
If he was not afraid to bench stars he would have benched Luis "I won't pass the ball" Figo long ago.

·
Administrator
11,902 Posts
JKris said:
If he was not afraid to bench stars he would have benched Luis "I won't pass the ball" Figo long ago.
Yes it is not as if he did anything useful in the three games.
Before anybody says "he is carrying an injury" please consider that if some body (even a superstar) is so hurt that he is virtually ineffective maybe he shouldn't play or play less and the healthy body replacing him might even surprise a few people.
I know I am going to get insulted but what if Rui Costa played a few minutes in place of Figo. I know Rui has not been in best form but I don't think it would have been much of an unreasonable move.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts