Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
running fast, the future of football.

this is why David Bentley never made it, and why Fernando Torres and Ronaldo have.

·
Registered
69,977 Posts
I like Walcott.

But the future of football should be doing something with the ball instead of running fast. This is not athletics.

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like Walcott.

But the future of football should be doing something with the ball instead of running fast. This is not athletics.
running fast cuts the need for that though, I mean you can overhit a pass by ten yards and Theo will make it look a decent ball with his fast legspeeds.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Really he'd be the final piece of the Brazilian jigsaw. We're lucky to have him as it means it doesn't matter if Gerrard and Lampard can't play together.

·
Banned
63 Posts
He's a good player and seems like a nice lad. Despite the price tag and being called up for a World Cup at a very young age, he seems like a humble guy. Unlike Dos Santos for instance or many other youngsters. Oh yeah Drenthe!

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really he'd be the final piece of the Brazilian jigsaw. We're lucky to have him as it means it doesn't matter if Gerrard and Lampard can't play together.
I'd play Gerrard instead of Heskey, why does Fabio insist on that lump?

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
i still remember his great show vs croatia. he should be one of the english football stars in coming years. a promising player and no doubt have too much to show.

the injury did affect him this season.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Seeing a player cut through players with pure pace is good to watch though and it's not just about running fast. You have got to have some degree of technique to be able to do it succesfully at the top end of the game.

As for Gerrard Zidane describe him as the best player in the world the other week :eek: He said more fuss is made about Messi and Ronaldo but as a driving force and importance to a team they are not above Gerrard.

People who knock the EPL sides saying that it is only due to foreigners for the success obviously do not see that Gerrard is the most important member of that Liverpool team. Messi is the main man at Barcelona. A foreigner playing in a spanish team.

·
Registered
9,491 Posts
Seeing a player cut through players with pure pace is good to watch though and it's not just about running fast. You have got to have some degree of technique to be able to do it succesfully at the top end of the game.

As for Gerrard Zidane describe him as the best player in the world the other week :eek: He said more fuss is made about Messi and Ronaldo but as a driving force and importance to a team they are not above Gerrard.

People who knock the EPL sides saying that it is only due to foreigners for the success obviously do not see that Gerrard is the most important member of that Liverpool team. Messi is the main man at Barcelona. A foreigner playing in a spanish team.
I do get your argument about English teams sometimes getting critisized unfairly on the that aspect but surely you have taken the wrong team as an example ?

I mean in current Barca you have Spanish/Catalan players Valdes, Puyol, Pique, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, Bojan. And they are all important first team players and all the product of our cantera. Also Messi has been at Barca most of his footballing career.

As you only mustered 2 examples from different teams. English sides do get unfairly bad attention but there is truth to the matter.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Messi is a player that a team should be built around. He is key. He is also foreign regardless of how long he has been at the club. Talking about the most important player at a club. Gerrard is one, Messi is another. Not about how many players as a whole but the most important player.

Chelsea. Lampard/Terry are key players. Maybe more so Lampard. Most important player to the team. English.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
People who knock the EPL sides saying that it is only due to foreigners for the success
If you think the EPL would have exploded in popularity if the stars were Darren Bent and Dean Ashton instead of Ronaldo and Torres, then you are insane.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
Also, Walcott needs to learn how to cross.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
If you think the EPL would have exploded in popularity if the stars were Darren Bent and Dean Ashton instead of Ronaldo and Torres, then you are insane.
I don't think that.

The point is the same. Liverpool without Gerrard would suffer greatly as would Chelsea without Lampard over the seasons. They are the most important members of their teams. Something just to consider a little when all we hear is that it is entirely due to foreigners for the success.

·
Registered
9,491 Posts
Messi is a player that some of the Barcas game is built around but you do realize he is not the only one ? I mean he is irreplaceable as there isnt a player that would be at his level. And he is the most valuable asset of the team cause he simply is the best player in the world. But our gameplan is built around Messi as it is built around Xavi as it is built around Iniesta.

Its a working system that is built with the parts you have been given and English teams tend to use more imported parts than their own. Whether it is down to the lack of quality coming through; demand of instant success or different rules.

Liverpool only has 2 English players as first teamers, Arsenal has 1 plus 2 coming through the ranks. Chelsea has 4 first teamers but they are all important so cant really say nothing about it.

Manchester United is a different story alltogether with the team basically half-English, which is very rare.

Not that i have anything against it as its a free world and those nationalistic agendas are really out of date but you simply cannot deny that there are less and less english players in top english clubs. And also in other clubs as well. And the quality is mostly coming from foreigners.

Simply look at how many quality english strikers are there in EPL ?

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Well looking at the EPL as a whole and not the top clubs a lot of foreigners have been brought in because they offer more value for money and have more experience than a young english player coming through. They are more reliable but doesn't mean to say thay they are vastly superior.

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
yes he does, he cross it, he receives his cross and he scores

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
..but, Messi certainly throws some sissy backheels...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts