Xtratime Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sadly, that is the way of football. There is so much money involved at the highest level that managers are under immense pressure to succeed and succeed quickly, that they are reluctant to play the younger players. Managers are going more for ready made players from the continent. The exception to the rule is probably Beckham, Butt, Scholes and the Neville brothers at Man Utd but even since they first appeared the game has changed so a lot.

I'm hoping in the coming seasons that the likes of Pennant, Halls and Alideire will be given more of a chance to impress in the first team and if they do half as well as Ashley Cole the future looks good for the Arsenal :)

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Well Wenger just threw Cole in, and look what happened! Pennant is coming up to that, as is Aliadiere I think as well. What if we end up buying some great player in their spot though? It would be stupid to throw away such great talent.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
bergkamp is god said:
I'm hoping in the coming seasons that the likes of Pennant, Halls and Alideire will be given more of a chance to impress in the first team and if they do half as well as Ashley Cole the future looks good for the Arsenal :)
I would like to Halls in the first-team action abit more :D Bergkamp is god you come from Essex :eekani: that makes to of us! :D

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
i disagree dude
i know young talents have great talents, skill etc
hot prospect for future
eg ashly cole
but we dont need to put a young talent up when we have a player better then them in that position!
thats just the way of life!
ashly cole did suceed and continue to do so is because we dont have a better LB, plus we aint gonna buy one.

i mean, do you think we'll put up ali if we have the striking power of cisse, henry, berggy, etc etc

do you think we'll place a young talent in the first 11 to replae paddy?
never!
until he retires or just plays sloppy football
its good to see young talent up because they can imrpove to become better, but they can do that in the reserves!
in the first 11 the players are already stars and have matured.
but thats what i think anywya

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Cole was not thrown in because we did not have a better LB!
we had Silvinho for christ sake!
He was injured or something...
and cole played so well he couldnt be dropped after that so we had to sell sivinho!

well i think if kanu goes aliadere should be promoted and pennant deserves a chance and probably so does halls!

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Pennant knew the score when he joined, so he won't leave us just because he doesn't get first team football at Highbury. He knew that he'd have to wait 5 years or so to get into the first team at all - never mind on a regular basis.

Now that we're approaching that time, maybe early next season will be the time to put him in for a few games, whilst Pires and Van Bronckhorst are still injured. If he performs poorly, it doesn't matter, because he'll have plenty of chances ahead of him. If he plays admirably, then that's a bonus.

As a Watford season ticket holder, I know quite a lot about his form this season - and he's been on fire. Other than Anthony McNamee, he's been the only bright spot, in an otherwise nightmare season.

As for Alliadiere, I don't think he should be played, unless extreme situations dictate. We have Henry, Wiltord, Bergkamp, Kanu, and Jeffers for senior strikers, and I'm not sure that he'll be able to get into the line-up unless Kanu leaves this summer without replacement, Jeffers gets injured again, and Wiltord and Henry disappear on international duty.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
As long as we don't buy any new mids (and we shouldn't really) than I think Pennant should get at least some playing time. Kanu won't be here next season, and maybe Wiltord won't either so Aliadiere may get a chance.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
This is from an article on onefootball.com :

"Wenger revealed he has identified two players he wants to bring to the club next season, including a defender, while young French forward Jeremie Aliadiere will be given his chance in the first team. "He has improved enormously," said the coach."

:)

·
Registered
452 Posts
I am pretty sure that Pennant will have more chance next season.
I dont think AW will play Alidiere next season, he has not worked on Jeffers till now. Frannie will have the priority first, as long as AW does nt buy a striket this summer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts