Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, so I'm not going to be as much of a prick this year and open this up for suggestions. Be aware that I'm still quite a bit of a prick so I'll need compelling reasons as to why people should qualify to appear in the pools. Also you can argue with each other if you want to. Also I won't pick everyone suggested, because again, I'm a tolatiratian ****face.

Bear in mind that the following players are already 100% guaranteed to appear in the polls.

Cristiano Ronaldo
Lionel Messi
Xavi
Iker Casillas
Fernando Torres
Andrei Arshavin
Javier Mascherano
Samuel Eto'o
David Villa
Jose Bosingwa
Emmanuel Adebayor
Rio Ferdinand
Frank Lampard
Ricardo Carvalho
Wesley Sneijder
Juan Riquelme
Yuri Zhirkov
Robinho
Zlatan Ibrahimovic
Diego
Vedad Ibisevic
Steven Gerrard
Luka Modric
Alessandro Del Piero
Karim Benzema
Adrian Mutu
Patrice Evra
Gael Clichy
Cesc Fabregas
Rafa Van Der Vaart
Raul
Marcos Senna
Santi Carzola
Luis Fabiano
Daniel Alves
Andres Iniesta
Artur Boruc
Maicon
Giorgio Chiellini
Nemanja Vidic
Wayne Rooney
Daniele De Rossi
Francesco Totti
Mario Gomez
Franck Ribery
Segio Aguero
Gianluigi Buffon
Momo Sissoko
Sergio Ramos
Pepe
Julio Cesar
Konstantin Zyryanov
Yasuhito Endo
Luca Toni
Beyond that, knock yourselves out.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
These players should also be nominated:

Julio Cesar - Had arguably the best season of any goalkeeper in Serie A. Was rated as the best player on Inter squad for several the matches in the second half of the season by Gazetta.

Sergio Aguero - Scored lots of goals. Definitely should be on there.

·
Premium Member
31,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am interested in the arguments people make for great players who haven't had great years by their standards, and how they should stack up against lesser players who have had great years by their standards.

Who deserves the nod more, Buffon or Sissoko for example? One all time great who's been a tad below his best this year vs a player I think of as merely decent who had a great year by his standards.

·
Premium Member
31,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, Aguero is going on the list. The others will be added to heavy consideration.

Also on that are Quaresma, Hamsik, Qualiarella, L Diarra, M Diarra, Guti, Anelka, Pavlyuchenko, Kranjkar, Lavezzi, Forlan, Rossi, Nihat, Anyukov, Danny, Silva, Mata, RVN, Santa Cruz, A Young, Cuellar, Di Natale, Zarate, Pandev, Woodgate, Kanoute, Navas, Palop, Cech, Arteta, Defour, Fellaini, Witsel, Huntelaar, El Hamdaoui, Lahm, Zaki, Abou Treika, Keita, Ireland and probably some others I can't think of now.

·
1st Tier Poster
52,475 Posts
If you happily include guys like Modric there who played in the Croatian league for half of the year and has proven nothing yet at Spurs then it shouldn't take a genius to figure out that Kaka and Buffon, the absolute top of the top, should be there in the list. They're not suddenly out of the top 50 players in the world just because they had average seasons by their standards.

·
Registered
42,995 Posts
Yasuhito Endo

Classy player who dictates play all over the pitch for his team, Gamba Osaka. Also from set pieces can be relied upon to make up ground if need be. I know he won't win it but he really has the potential to be the next Nakata, Nakamura or Ono! As yet he hasn't received the awareness, though... has been capped for the Blue Samurai, and I imagine will feature in the 2010 World Cup, so that may be his stage, his time...

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I'd agree that Modric shouldn't be on there, at least not any more than some of the other nominees not yet on the list. He didn't do anything other than play a role in knocking England out of the Euro qualification.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts