Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
A true hero
31,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, it's that time of year again. Sorry it's a little delayed this year. But I had to move house, get a reliable net connection sorted and really I wanted to wait for the FIFA results to come out for comparison purposes anyway. Dunno what their excuse is.

Anyway, you know the score by now. You all voted, the people with the most points win prizes.

Vote seperators are firstly number of times they were voted as someone's number one, and secondly the amount of votes they got (you win with more). If everything else is equal it's a draw, and there are a few draws this year.

I will point out again there are a few draws, because someone is always all "WTF?" when a number gets skipped and they don't read the = before the number, so keep a ****ing eye out.

This year 58 people voted. I was hoping to get closer to 100 but I guess I can blame VS and the lack of google spiders for that.

The following people were kind enough to bother voting.

Rob/juventus2/Rodriguez/Leckan/Homer/A10/ekim/repLica/PepGuardiola/ K5-H17M4N, Frederic/”Andy”/Vidic15/Camp Nou/Cruyff14/Manijak/Stephan/M.G/Garrincha/Vedz/lionmessi/pun/MaidenMadness/Rhizoid/RobI/ilgenio/Angerjas/Culed/Darealest/pumba/Nesty/Zico 10/FC Barcelona9/las7/Steph!/wariss/JD Crociato/Xavinho/Maturin/Andrey/Amr!/SyKe/Fernando Torres/LiquidFire/Herou/Mutu/Dekalog/totti_the_king/Joshua/Hasuni/Cacini/Real_Madrid/Trip Fontaine/henryrules/Koeman4/Alias12/Osman/Zoric

If you didn't vote then more fool you, because several things were really, really close this year and every vote really did count.

Countdown to be underway as soon as I get the first guy typed up. Amuse yourselves for now.

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
Embarrassing turnout XT

Also, just a pre-emptive warning. Any trolling or excessive complaining in this thread will be clamped down on. I'll probably just delete posts of anyone who is being a dick.

But cool, this thread is always a good read.

·
A true hero
31,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh well, it was a tough year to get points in.

#20. David Silva (0 points/0 votes) :(

Teams played for in 2008 - Valencia, Spain.
Position - Wide midfield
2008 resume - Euro 2008 winner, Copa del rey winner
Position on FIFA WPOY - N/A
XT WPOTY history - N/A

It's a bit tough on David to be the first guy in history to get no points in the final after getting through to it, but I'm sure he's pretty enough to get over it. Had he had as much luck with injuries as he's had in the genetic lottery then he might well have managed to rack some serious points up. As it is, he seems to be injured far more than is fair for a player of his talent.

He's mostly there for his performances in the summer, of course. So the summer is where I'll focus. Truly he was the balance of the Spanish team. It's weird to talk about a wide player as a balancer, but in Spain, where everyone is a deep lying playmaker/continuity passer, it's entirely possible. He brought the variation to their midfield play that they've maybe lacked in previous tournament chokes. He could do that because he has the ability to spare both as a wide man, and coming inside to get involved in the pretty passing pictures being painted in the middle of the park. That's something Joaquin, Exteberria et al have never been able to offer, when Silva is there to offer it, to be the difference between nice play but isolated strikers sulking infront of far too much passing, and a cutting edge. For acting as that key component alone, he warrants inclusion.

The rest of the year was charectarised by injuries and Ronald Koeman, but it's best not to dwell on that. Summer is the best time of year anyway.

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
Haha that picture sums it up perfectly. :D

Anyway, there is no way Ronaldo has won this. Just having a quick glance at the people who voted and I can only see two United fans and many more Barca supporters.

·
A true hero
31,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is noone online at the moment or is everyone distracted by Man City and their outlandish plan to divert attention from this by spending too much money?

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Since it is XT, I am guessing the top three to be:-

1. Messi
2. Totti
3. Zidane

Who should win IMO:-

1. Ronaldo
2. Messi
3. Xavi

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
Actually knowing XT, it's more likely to be:

1) Messi
2) Okocha
3) Savicevic

Anyway, 66 views of this thread so far. Not too shabby.

·
A true hero
31,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Only 17 places more to go to complete the mission statement.

=#18. Robinho (1 point/1 vote)

Teams played for in 2008 - Real Madrid, Manchester City, Brazil.
Position - Wide midfield/support striker
2008 resume - La Liga winner
Position on FIFA WPOY - N/A
XT WPOTY history - N/A

Football still manages to weird me out sometimes. Robinho's year is an incredible example of how it can do that. It's like some kind of reverse Roy of the Rovers yet somehow still being an incredible success type thing.

He did manage to pick up a title this year with Real, and be pretty important in doing so, but noone is going to remember Robinho in 2008 for that. They'll remember his 2008 for being a man on a mission in the second half. Insulted by Real, who tried to replace him with C Ronaldo while paying Royston Drenthe more than him, he was all set to join Big Phil at Chelsea, in a natural move of a big player from one big team to another.

And then he ended up at Manchester City, with admittedly considerably better lined pockets, but still at Manchester City. What's more he was stating that he was going there to become the best player in the world. How we scoffed, and how stupid we look for scoffing now he's actually on the right track towards doing it.

Granted, he's playing in a very on/off side, but when he plays, they play. And when he has been playing well, he's been destroying people in his first season in a new league that was supposed to be too physical for him. And even though City are struggling, it looks like he's having the time of his life doing it. Truly a player reborn, just because he feels important and loved. That's destined to continue to be the case, as perhaps the initial and central member of the new era galacticos.

With those guys at his side this year, does anyone want to bet against him getting closer to his goal? I know I don't.

·
A true hero
31,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually knowing XT, it's more likely to be:

1) Messi
2) Okocha
3) Savicevic

Anyway, 66 views of this thread so far. Not too shabby.
Yeah, should perhaps point out that Mutu didn't say don't post, he just meant don't start any stupid Totti Vs Del Piero debates.

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
I've really warmed to Robinho this season.

I mean yeah, he's still not the perfect player and he really needs to work on his overall game intelligence, but on his day he's devastating.

I'd love to see a compilation of all his goals this season, because he's scored some beauties. One on one I don't think there's a cooler head in the premiership.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Robinho is a player that I have grown to love this season. I've always thought of him as being a player who should be performing so much better and more consistently given the talent he has and the hype around him from when he was young. This season though he has really entertained me, and even though he still has flaws in his game he is certainly a much better player when he is the main guy rather than just one of the stars.

·
A true hero
31,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wonder if he gets to organise pizza chucking contests now he's captain?

=#18. Cesc Fabregas (1 point/1 vote)

Teams played for in 2008 - Arsenal, Spain
Position - Box to box midfielder
2008 resume - Euro 2008 winner
Position on FIFA WPOY - #14
XT WPOTY history - #17 in 2006, #6 in 2007.

I would call this result the arrival of Fabregas among the true established elites of the game, because really it seems like he's had a fairly quiet year. A fairly quiet year in which he won what could turn out to be the biggest honour of his career, but on the playing front, not amazing by his standards.

So does this mean we've arrived at a consensus where he's so world class he doesn't have to be at his best to be considered one of the absolute elite of world football? It would seem so. He spent most of the year trying to drag Arsenal up to his standards, and didn't ever quite manage to do it and capitalise on what he'd set up with his brilliant play in 2007. He's still all class, and that's clearly been recognised here. He also deserves props for being one of the more effective consistent bench players in a winning international team at the Euros too. When Spain needed a boost, Cesc provided it.

Perhaps I'm just becoming too accustomed to his high standards now. It's good that everyone decided to remind me just how good this kid really is. That he got made captain of one of the better teams in Europe at his age is a testament to that fact.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Madrid did wrong in not keeping Robinho IMO...even though he wanted to go in the end they still could have nursed him better...because of his dribbling ability in 1-on-1 situations he always gave the feeling that his marker was in trouble especially when in speed on the counter(kinda like Robben).

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I wonder if he gets to organise pizza chucking contests now he's captain?

=#18. Cesc Fabregas (1 point/1 vote)

Teams played for in 2008 - Arsenal, Spain
Position - Box to box midfielder
2008 resume - Euro 2008 winner
Position on FIFA WPOY - #14
XT WPOTY history - #17 in 2006, #6 in 2007.
Legend :proud:

·
A true hero
31,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Madrid did wrong in not keeping Robinho IMO...even though he wanted to go in the end they still could have nursed him better...because of his dribbling ability in 1-on-1 situations he always gave the feeling that his marker was in trouble especially when in speed on the counter(kinda like Robben).
If Robben can actually stay fit he'll be a lock for this next year the way he's playing. One of the most talented players to never get on one of our end of year lists. Timing really, because I'm sure he would have been top 10 in 2005 had I started them a year earlier.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts