1. North Korea 1-0 Italy - World Cup 1966 Group Stage

2. Holland 3-0 Italy - Euro 2008 Group Stage

3. South Korea 2-1 Italy (AET) - World Cup 2002 Last 16

4. Italy 1-2 Czech Republic - Euro 1996 Group Stage

5. Sweden 2-2 Denmark - Euro 2004 Group Stage :howler:

·
Registered
48,480 Posts
I can't tell you about the North Korea game.
If we include the Olympic games there is surely Zambia - Italy 4-0 in 1988.
South Korea played with 14 players so that was not just a poor performance of our players.
As regards the games with the Czechs, I think a defeat is rather acceptable both cause the Czechs were a good team and cause Sacchi was so retard to field the reserves.
I still think that the game with the Netherlands was the worst performance in the games of a final phase I watched (1986-2008).

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
What an inauspicious time to start a thread like this.

It has to be Italy 0 Netherlands 3 for now because it's all still so fresh in my memory, but I have to say I've never been more embarassed witnessing us being knocked out by Korea in extra-time in 2002.

·
Registered
34,926 Posts
I watched 1990 - present.

Italy v Holland 0 - 3 (typical "field the old guard of World Champions" defeat)

Italy v Denmark 0 - 0 Euro 2004 Group Stage (type "lazy spit Trap" performance).

Italy v Ireland 0 - 1 WC 1994 (type "confused by british fight" defeat)

Italy v Czech Rep. 1 - 2 Euro 1996 (type hubris defeat)

Italy v Korea 1 - 2 WC 2002 (Gaucci we wuz robbed defeat)

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
We were definitely screwed but weren't that impressive either. But in the end, Tommasi scored a legit goal and Totti was unjustly sent off.

·
Registered
343 Posts
All of the games from the 2002 WC (maybe except the one vs Ecuador) Italy played were horrible, though you were also pretty much screwed (except, again, for the game against Ecuador), you scored like 5 legit goals that were disallowed, and almost everything that happened in the game against South Korea was against you (though in all honesty Totti could have seen the red card in the 2nd half for a horrible tackle, I don't know why that always stuck in my head).

·
Registered
34,926 Posts
Italy were screwed, though Inzaghi's "goal" against Croatia was correctly disallowed, imo.

... but, yeah, there was something "Trap" about all the performances save the match against a poor Ecuador.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts