Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best midfield line today... and WHY? I mean not only in terms of individual talents or collected results, but also in tactical terms. Which midfield unit in world football performs all the duties an ideal midfield should fulfill – occupying spaces, covering the flanks/creating through the flanks, guarding the defense and delivering assists for the forward line?

Would it be Mourinho's Chelsea, with Makelele, Lampard, Duff and Robben? Or maybe Milan's well-rehearsed Pirlo-Gattuso-Seedorf-Kaka formation? Or is it Ronaldinho Gaucho's smart and flamboyant Barcelona midfield? You tell me. hey, maybe the world's best midfield isn't even part of one of the best/most successful teams – after all, a team with an outstanding mid-sector but a feeble defense or a limp strikeforce may find itself in mid-table, and not at the top. ;)

I personally think Milan has the most complete midfield today, finely combining competitiveness and fluency... from the fierce Gattuso to the young wizard Kaka, passing through a great game distributor like Pirlo and a quality two-way workhorse, Seedorf. :dazed: Their formation is quick to deliver the ball upfield and protects both sides quite well (although to be honest, the right side wouldn't be the same without Cafu). But I'm quite sure many of you will disagree with me, so let's have it. :D

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
There is only one answer: Milan.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I'd probably have to say Chelsea. They just seem to have the best structured midfield that has balance and depth. After them, I'd probably have to say Barcelona.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Well Garrincha, before Ranieri went and destroyed the team, I would say that Valencia had a pretty good setup, probably not as good as Milan now, but very strong all the same. Albelda as a workhorse alongside goals and class from Baraja in the middle. Then you have Vicente on the left and a genius like Aimar as well, with maybe Angulo on the right. :star:

Ranieri often leaving out Aimar was incredible though :jester:, and Fiore (although a very good player) hasn't worked there either. But now that Ranieri has gone, the old options are mostly still all there, and this team has gotten results in the past with a fairly solid defence but not exactly massive firepower up front, so there's no reason why they couldn't do it again. :)

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Milan by a longshot. They have all the elements needed to completely dominate the midfield: a natural playmaker right behind the strikers who is always available for an outlet pass; an all-action midfielder who can defend and tackle with the best of them; a rugged ballwinner who is one of the best at breaking down opposition attacks; and a deep-lying playmaker who conducts where the ball is played and orchestrates the pace and rythem of the team. Kaka, Seedorf, Gattuso, and Pirlo respectively form the best midfield on the planet.

The brilliant thing about Milan's midfield is that it fits perfectly into the team with Cafu making runs up the right flank. Gattuso is not really playing wide out on the right and leaves that space for Cafu to run into. So Gattuso essentially plays right next to Pirlo, doing the dirty work for the talented Andrea to flourish with the ball at his feet. Seedorf owns the whole left side of the pitch, sometimes moving out to the wing or cutting inside while on the offensive. Kaka always makes himself available behind Shevchenko and Crespo, usually running laterally towards the wings where either Cafu or Seedorf plays off him. On the counter I usually see Kaka making a run up the right flank where Pirlo sends him off into space, filling the void where Crespo or Shevchenko vacated to move more centrally. Defensively Gattuso and Pirlo form the shield for the talented defense, so IMO Milan has the perfect midfield.

Chelsea has a great midfield as well, however it's not as talented as Milan.

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
Yeah, Valencia certainly has a very good midfield but they really arent clicking this season and the serious injury of Vicente and Ranieri hasnt helped either. I think Barca's midfield is brilliant. You have Ronaldinho, then Deco, Xavi and Marquez not only are they super talented (excluding Marquez) but they play so well as a team, the thing that gets me about them is that they understand each other so well, its insane.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
I really like Barcelona's midfield, if their two man defence didn't play such a high flat line then they might have won the CL this year :googly: they are definitely the best to watch though.

Arsenal willbe contenders next year if we manage to pick up SWP. :lick:

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
SM ONLINE said:
riise---alonso--gerrard--garcia

case closed
Sorry, but which team is that?:stress::mute:

Cheers.;)

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
I don't think it's really close to the best midfield in the world yet. Chuck in a fit and on form Kewell and Pablo Aimar and maybe. ;)

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Cannot look past

Musampa---Barton--Reyna---SWP

:D Seriously though?

Chelsea's of:

---------Robben-----Duff
Lampard-----Makelele-----J. Cole

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
next year we will hopefully add SWP, and be better..

madrid will probably grow with signings of robinho and god knows who else.

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
Chelsea in a 442 and Milan in a 4312, these are vastly different approches to the midfield game and can't really be compared. Both work really well though.

·
Premium Member
12,798 Posts
Milan without doubt. We have 4 midfielders of contrasting styles playing together as a unit for almost 2 years now, combining a mixture of passing fluidity, speed and aggresion. Kaka for his pace and flair, Gattuso for his grit, workrate and aggression, Seedorf for his box-to-box style of play (both offensive & defensive), Pirlo for his wide range of passing & creativity.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts