Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've seen the most over-rated plaeyrs in the world already, now for a harder one, the most under-rated players.

I'll put down a few names to begin with.

Henchoz
Walter Samuel
Toldo
Kallon
Coco

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Any Arsenal defender would fit nicely into this category. People might dismiss them as over-paid, drunks, OAPs, donkeys, long ball artists, etc, but they get results.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
To me, i feel Rui Costa is under-rated... I think he should be the star of the Portugal team and not Luis Figo.. If u notice, most of the attacks started from him.. He makes good through balls and passes to team-mates in dangerous areas.. Although he doesnt dribble much, I dont see the need for him to dribble that much.. he has the ability to create more than waht Luis Figo does.. And I think he seldom loses the ball as much as Figo does..

Figo do provide the magic, but he can play real bad at times... And one thing is that I dont think Rui Costa's freekick standard is below Figo... Everyone talks about Figo in the Portugal national team, but not many mention Rui Costa...

To me, I think Figo is over-rated...

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Lyon's brazilian mid Juninho Pernambucano. This guy is an extremely good playmaker, top-class material, certainly among the world's best. He can also play as second man in midfield, helping the defense.

·
International
8,545 Posts
Niether Samuel nor Toldo are underrated though, they're both considered to be amongst the best in their positions in Serie A.

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
IVO said:
Niether Samuel nor Toldo are underrated though, they're both considered to be amongst the best in their positions in Serie A.
But then, one could argue that they should be rated as THE best in Serie A. I don't think Samuel should be, but Toldo is much better than Buffon.

·
International
8,545 Posts
Samuel will need to prove himself over time. As good as he is, when you have a player like Nesta in Serie A, who's been at the top of the game for so long, it's hard to rate Samuel as no.1 until he passes that test of time.

As far as Toldo goes, I agree and I believe he's better than Buffon, but only slightly better. It all comes down to opinion and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a lot of people thinking that Toldo is much better than Buffon. With 2 keepers who are really great, it's difficult to believe that there's such a wide gap between the two of them.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
P-lease guys!!!

All these players mentioned (Samuel, Ferdinand, Toldo, Henchoz, Rui Costa) are first teamers for top clubs in top leagues and are internationals for premier nations (bar Henchoz) - obviously they are rated quite highly by a fair few people!!!

When I saw the title of this thread I would've thought more along the lines of someone who is playing consistantly good football but always gets overlooked or isn't really known by the wider football community like:

Aaron Hughes (Newcastle United and Northern Ireland) - Brilliant year at fullback though overlooked for honours by the PFA in favour of Steve Finnan and is consistantly forgotten when top Premiership fullbacks are listed.

Craig Moore (Rangers and Australia) - Rock solid defender who has an international goal vs France and Champions League goals vs Valencia to his credit ... also had a MOTM performance vs Bayern Munich a few seasons ago when he marked Elber out of the game in the Olympiastadion. Has steadily improved but no-one would know him from a bar of soap outside Oz and Scotland.

Thomas Graveson (Everton and Denmark) - Has a great World Cup before being bundled out by the English and has a work-rate that cannot be faulted - would hardly rate a mention when picking dream teams though.

Anyone think of anyone else?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I think pauleta from portugal is under-rated. No matter how good he does people would rather c nuno gomes in their because pauleta is from the acores

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Kiyan said:
Iker Casillas, Valeron and Luis Enrique are heavenly under-rated IMO
hmmmm.. well I'd have to disagree with Luis Enrique.. I think some of us are kinda misunderstanding the word "under rated" :) I'd agree about Iker.. and I'd say Tommassi.. for all the work he puts in.. he barely gets a bit of the praise he deserves.. similar to him are Hamann are Henchoz at Liverpool.. and Carlo Cudicini for Chelsea..

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
Under-rated players? I got name a heap of players who I think are great but are under-rated by others

Kevin McNaughton (Aberdeen & Scotland)
James McFadden (Motherwell & Scotland)
Phil McGuire (Aberdeen & Scotland)
Stephen Crainey (Celtic & Scotland)
Paul Gallagher (Dundee Utd & Scoctland)
Jamie Langfield (Dundee & Scotland)
Steven Milne (Dundee & Scotland)
Darren Young (Aberdeen & Scotland)
Derek Young (Aberdeen & Scotland)
Stephen Hughes (Rangers & Scotland)
Barry Ferguson (Rangers & Scotland) He's under-rated out-with Scotland as far as I am concerned.
Craig Moore (Rangers & Australia)
Steven Hislop (Ross County & Scotand)
Barry Wilson (Livingston & Scotland)
Darren Mackie (Aberdeen & Scotland)

I can't really think of any others at the mo, but if I do I'll let you know:)

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Can we work to this definition of "under-rated"?

"Someone who is playing consistantly good football but always gets overlooked or isn't really known by the wider football community"

Now 90% of the players mentioned are regular performers for world class clubs in world class leagues and are first teamers for their national team! Now IMO, that definitely is not under-rated.

Take this players for instance:

Dietmar Hamann - Germany and Liverpool
Nicky Butt - England and Man United
Iker Casillas - Real and Spain

All have been listed as "under-rated" ... erm ... everyone knows who they are, and they are regular performers at both club and international level - under-rated by whom??

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Paul Robinson (Watford, not Leeds) is definitely under-rated. For several years, he's been the best player at Watford, and is still only 23. He's a hard-worker, but also has strength, pace, and plenty of skill.

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
I know he's a big name and all but Cafu. When we talk about Roma, certainly in the scudetto year, the names always are Totti and Batistuta. I dare to say the player that makes the tam play (or not play) is the Brazilian right-winger. If he's in a good day Roma is an unstopable team. If he's in some sort of an off-day the team falls apart.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Ok, here is my list:

Serginho(Milan)
Kanoute (don't know how to spell it, on West Ham)
Eto'o(Mallorca)
Puyol(Bar$a)
Recoba(Inter)
Okocha(PSG)
Seedorf(Inter)
Tristan(Deportivo)
Cardetti(River)
Hearte(Leeds)
Kewell(Leeds)
Gudjohnson(Chelsea)
Zuma(Copenhagen)
Saviola(Bar$a)