Xtratime Community banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
47,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
After 38 minute a quick counterattack lead to Insigne who made a through pass to Immobile on the left flank. Immobile shot on the closer post as soon as he entered the penalty area. The goalie proved to be mediocre. 2-0

HT 2-0

·
Registered
47,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
FT 2-0

Well, the technical difference was quite huge but Northern Ireland were tough and gave us some trouble. There have been mistakes which could cost us dearly against different opponents. The win was never in question anyway.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Exactly how I felt. But I also had the feeling that those mistakes would not have been made against a stronger opponent.

Northern Ireland were disappointing, especially the goalkeeper for the goal of Immobile.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Mancini seems to have a positive influence on certain players and this team. May the good form and luck continue.

·
Registered
47,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Mancini is doing a fantastic job. I have no idea what is our level right now but Ventura had brought us so down that it could not be true.

·
Registered
47,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
As regards the players I think we have an excellent midfield. Not so sure about defense and attack, above all the latter.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Yes, the attack has been the Achillies heel for a while now.

I am puzzled as to why Italian clubs struggle to produce quality attacking players.

·
Registered
17,840 Posts
Anyone watching?

I still have PTSD from watching Florenzi's calamitous performance in the last WC or Euro...

Some of our players need to stop appealing to the ref. There is no VAR and this Slovenian ref is obviously not star struck. They need to win this in open play.

·
Registered
17,840 Posts
Pretty bad first half. Ref gifted a no-penalty and Italy are up 1-0. No player stood out except for maybe Spinazzolla in the first 20 minutes.

·
Registered
47,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Nice goal scored by Locatelli, a flash in the night. I had watched 20 minutes of ugly football before, with another flash, the post hit by Belotti.

·
Registered
17,840 Posts
Locatelli made an immediate difference. Sensi-Verratti was extremely poor.

I liked that when Bernardeschi and Locatelli came on, the front 6 included 2 players over 6 feet tall....

Immobile missed a breakaway that he should have scored against this type of opposition. I was not reassured by the performances of the two strikers.

·
Registered
47,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
FT 0-2

After the goal we had a few more chances to score.

According to the little I watched Bulgaria could have troubles in defeating Northern Ireland too. Northern Ireland fought even after conceding the second goal. Bulgaria in the half of a hour I watched tried something with set pieces thrown towards our penalty kick area from midfield but it is not really a plan which works and a few were taken very poorly anyway. In the loss time we attacked 4 minutes on 4.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Geez, this Locatelli player is getting a lot of attention, nice goal, strong demeanor, and shows quality.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Yes, overall though it was one of the worst performances of the Mancini era.

I expect much better tomorrow in Lithuania.

·
Registered
47,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Lithuania should be the worst team of the three and I'm not sure I care enough to watch a game like that. Very likely I pass.

·
Registered
47,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I watched very little of this game which was played on an awful turf in Vilnius.

It was another 2-0, the fifth in a row, the sixth game in a row without conceding, the 25th game in a row without a defeat.

The first goal was scored by Sensi who came in in the second half after a poor first half (I read but didn't watch). The second with a penalty of Immobile just before the final whistle.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
It's a good feeling to finally trust the coaches leading our squads. Feel like we are being led by competent minds, and that mentality matters a lot with Italy.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts