Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
47,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are in Group C. It's a pretty easy group in which the one contender for the first spot should be Switzerland. Then there are Northern Ireland, Bulgaria and Lithuania. In 1994 it would have been a very tough group. Nowadays not really.

·
inbred amoeba
4,165 Posts
We’ve got a new manager, 52y old Yassen Petrov, a modern type of guy who apparently likes to switch between tactical schemes in the course of a game, and who made some success at club’s level in China.

He already called up the foreign based players for the games vs Switzerland and Italy (28/03) at home and N. Ireland away - and these are warriors known for their never-die attitude and high-work rate. I expect that we’d give the Swiss a fight and not lose our first game in Sofia (pity there will be no attendance allowed). Then, come the Italy game, it might already be an early battle for the top of the group:D.

·
Registered
47,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
March 25, 20.45: Parma, Stadio Tardini: Italy vs Northern Ireland
March 28, 19.45: Sofia (?): Bulgaria vs Italy
March 31, 20.45?: Vilnius (?): Latvia vs Italy

·
inbred amoeba
4,165 Posts
Toni, I cant find an Azzuri squad announced for the forthcoming games. Is there one yet?

·
Registered
47,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Toni, I cant find an Azzuri squad announced for the forthcoming games. Is there one yet?
Not yet. I don't think that there will be big surprises. The biggest question is what players will face Northern Ireland and what players will face Bulgaria as I think that Mancini will field two pretty different lineups. It makes some difference in particular at midfield because for example I strongly doubt that Barella will play both game* and in my opinion having him or not makes some difference.

*Inter would not appreciate, but the same can be said about other players involved in the scudetto or CL spot fight.

·
Registered
47,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A possible list according to Gazzetta dello Sport, including alternatives

Goalies: Donnarumma, Sirigu, Cragno (and one out of Meret, Gollini and Silvestri)
Defenders: Florenzi, Mancini, Di Lorenzo, Bonucci, Acerbi, Toloi, Chiellini, Bastoni, Spinazzola, Emerson, Calabria (Romagnoli)
Midfielders: Jorginho, Locatelli, Barella, Lo. Pellegrini, Verratti, Pessina, Cristante, Castrovilli (Soriano)
Forwards: Chiesa, Bernardeschi, Immobile, Belotti, Kean, Insigne, Berardi, El Shaarawy, Caputo, Grifo

·
Registered
46,488 Posts
Who do you guys think the 2nd and 3rd keepers should be? Is the NT spoiled for choice? I think maybe.

·
Registered
47,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is not easy to choose one. I agree that Sirigu should not be called up any more. Probably Cragno is the second best goalie. Meret and Gollini are not even certain of the starting spot in ther club! There is Silvestri but I don't really like him. Audero has improved but not to the extent to become NT material. Maybe Perin?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone.

I noticed that Jorginho isn't included in the squad. I searched but didn't find any current injury!

Does anyone know why?

·
Registered
47,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Jorginho is there in the squad, but what about Politano? He is easily better than El Sha for example.
Right now he is, but El Shaarawy might return the player he used to be and in that case I'd prefer El Shaarawy. Anyway, I don't think any of them will enter the final lists for the Euro or the World Cup.

I haven't posted the 38-player list for the three games before so I do it now.

Goalies: Cragno (Cagliari), G.Donnarumma (Milan), Meret (Napoli), Sirigu (Torino);
Defenders: Acerbi (Lazio), Bastoni (Inter), Biraghi (Fiorentina), Bonucci (Juventus), Chiellini (Juventus), Di Lorenzo (Napoli), Emerson Palmieri (Chelsea), Ferrari (Sassuolo), Florenzi (Paris Saint Germain), Lazzari (Lazio), Mancini (Roma), Spinazzola (Roma), Toloi (Atalanta);
Midfielders: Barella (Inter), Castrovilli (Fiorentina), Cristante (Roma), Locatelli (Sassuolo), Mandragora (Torino), Pellegrini (Roma), Pessina (Atalanta), Ricci (Spezia), Sensi (Inter), Soriano (Bologna), Verratti (Paris Saint Germain);
Forwards: Belotti (Torino), Berardi (Sassuolo), Bernardeschi (Juventus), Caputo (Sassuolo), Chiesa (Juventus), El Shaarawy (Roma), Grifo (Friburgo), Immobile (Lazio), Insigne (Napoli), Kean (Paris Saint Germain).

·
Registered
47,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mancini today "We are in a bit of trouble as we will miss Jorginho and will probably return home Cristante".

I read elsewhere that Jorginho has had an undefined "little physical problem" during the past week.

·
Registered
17,820 Posts
El Sharaawy was awful vs Napoli. Makes no sense to bring him in instead of Politano, but I rest my case...

·
Registered
47,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I missed the first half of a hour. The Italian NT is leading 1-0 thanks to a goal scored by Berardi who received a through pass made by Florenzi along the right flank, entered the penalty kick area and shot from short distance.
Lineup (4-3-3): Donnarumma - Florenzi, Bonucci, Chiellini, Emerson - Pellegrini, Locatelli, Verratti - Berardi, Immobile, Insigne.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts