Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, Figo missed one more penalty kick in his style. :wallbang: I recall there is an official regulation that one should kick the ball in "one action/ movement" without delay or something like hesitation as it is unfair to the keeper. Figo all the time runs and lays and only kick the ball after the goalkeeper jumps or acts. :googly: The referee didn't know the regulation?! :confused: He should have whistled after the ball was saved. :eek:

I remember one match long time ago Figo was asked to replay the one PK three or four times by one referee for his unproper way to handle PK. Your thought on his way to handle PK?

·
Administrator
30,813 Posts
Old "Paradinha", and no, the referee should not have whistled.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
So the ref should have asked him to retake the penalty once it was saved? That's a good one. Why is he taking penalties btw. His record must be worse than Owen's at Liverpool.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Coz owen doesnt play LOL!! i loved rauls reaction after figo missed GOLD!!

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Ivan Helguera said:
Last night, Figo missed one more penalty kick in his style. :wallbang: I recall there is an official regulation that one should kick the ball in "one action/ movement" without delay or something like hesitation as it is unfair to the keeper.

I remember one match long time ago Figo was asked to replay the one PK three or four times by one referee for his unproper way to handle PK. Your thought on his way to handle PK?
If there is a rule like that it must be limited to Spain or at least there is none in Sweden. the only thing you are not allowed to do is to backtrack AFAIK.

·
Registered
607 Posts
the rule is you cant completely stop, figo slows down put his motion never completly stops.

i dont know why he takes penaltys, ronaldo is better at them.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
yeah, its about not being able to run up and be stationary before kicking it. figo kind of slows down, but its still one motion, even though he looks like he gets shot from the stands just before kicking it. :)

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
I saw the match but I didnt see Rauls reaction, what was it like?

I agree with Ivan Helguera, Figos penaltys are not regular IMO. He almost stopped running twice and that is not allowed. I think Beckham should take the penaltys in Real :D

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
In theory at least,

- The kicker is not allowed to check his run before he kicks the ball with the intention to unsettle the keeper
- The goalkeeper isn't supposed to move until the ball moves
- For the attacking side, encroachment is punishable by retaking the penalty again if they score and letting it go if they miss.

Have you seen these rules applied with any sort of regularity or consistency these days?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
The commentators were discussing Figo's style of taking penalties before he actually took it, and how it not permitted to start your run up to your penalty, stop, and then take it, were Figo never actually stops his movement, he makes like a stutter kick, and because keepers are on edge they move before the ball is shot. So no, figo's penalty taking is not in violation of any penalty taking rule.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Falastini said:
The commentators were discussing Figo's style of taking penalties before he actually took it, and how it not permitted to start your run up to your penalty, stop, and then take it, were Figo never actually stops his movement, he makes like a stutter kick, and because keepers are on edge they move before the ball is shot. So no, figo's penalty taking is not in violation of any penalty taking rule.
Can anyone show a video of this penalty taking technique so we can further discuss if it is legal?

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Figo is one of my favourite players of all-time, but lately I have become increasingly frustrated with his inablity to sometimes put the ball in the net from 12-yards out.

He cost us a potential European Cup showdown with Milan when he missed that penalty in Turin a couple of seasons ago, and since then has also missed a couple of other important penalty kicks.

We should let Ronaldo take the penalties at Real Madrid- just ask the Argentinian goalkeeper. :D

·
Premium Member
12,798 Posts
Figo is not the only player who does that stutter & strike PK move, though I think keepers are well aware of his "trick" by now. ;) Some referees will allow such PKs but some will order it to be re-taken.

Zidane should be taking PKs for Real Madrid. I've seen him taking PKs for France and his placement of the ball (either lower left/right corner) is laser perfect.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Figo has missed quite a few important pk's for club and country in the last couple of years. I knew he was going to miss this last one just by the look on his face before he took it.

There's nothing illegal about his style. It has been intensely observed many times, and he never stops completely. The stutter is intended to psyche out the keeper, only lately it seems to have that effect on Figo. He should contend himself with the fact that he is the best player at Real Madrid, and give someone else an opportunity to do the pk's. Probably Zidane, since Beckham has missed quite a few himself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts