Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and a mate from Middlesbrough have been discussing new league formats. A few ideas popped up:

Idea 1 -

SPL - 16 teams
SD1 - 16 teams
SD2 - 16 teams

At current there are 42 teams in the Scottish League, 6 teams would be moved in from either Junior or Highland football.

Idea 2 -

SPL - 16 teams
SD1 - 16 teams
SD2 Northern Section - 16 teams - 16 teams from Northern Scotland
SD2 Southern Section - 16 teams - 16 teams from Souther Scotland

The Northern/Southern idea is implemented in France and Germany at current.

This is my preferred option as it brings in Highland teams, many of whom are better than current Div 2 and 3 sides but are penalised due to geographical position. (Look at Ross County and ICT)

Also should be relegation from our bottom leagues and promotion from a conference like league.

Also I think 16 team SPL would work better as it would mean 6 less league games per season(Thus cheaper Season Tickets!) and also reduce the boredom factor of playing teams 4(or more depending on cup, Rangers will face Celtic SIX times come May.)times.

Constructive comments please?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
no, we definately DONT need more teams! thts our problem. my vote would be more suited to top flight of 16, and a 2nd league of 16-18 and thats it!! no more than 32 or 34 teams. saying 48 is just ludicrous!!! 40 was always too many, and we end up with 42 in the new set up! no way do we want 48! id say cut down rather than expand! 10 teams too many for the size of our country.

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
I think, & always have thought, that there should be a trap door for all those dead Division 3 teams to fall through, replacing them with some of the Juniors & Highland League sides.

It would work more like in England, where you have 2 main divisions, then you have a bunch of "feeder leagues" split north & south, with the north champs & south champs getting promoted into the 2nd divison, & the bottom 2 dropping out.

It would keep the game at the lowest level fresh, I mean just look how well Peterhead have done since being granted a place in the league? 2/3 years in & they are practically in Division 2. It's an ambition & drive that Ross County, ICT, Peterhead & Elgin all share, & it's helping to liven up the lower divisions.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
as soon as i saw your name i remembered all the success stoires from highland leagues. in my idea, i did mean to include a re shuffle of highland and junior leagues. if these 3 sides have proven to have so much potential, then there might be other sides denied this chance at the expense of wasters like cowdenbeath who sit bottom of division 3 all the time. teams without ambition, whereas there might be other teams who would kill for thier position. i still think 32/34 teams is more than enough, but everything below should be totally reshuffled. regional leagues would be good cos they would be inexpensive for travelling and have more of a derby atmosphere to each game, posibbly attracting more fans. and then the top 1 from each league, say there is 3 leagues, automatically qualify, and there is a 4 way play off between each regional league runners up, and the team 4th bottom in the 2nd premier league. this make sense? i think its a good idea.

SPL1 16 teams bottom 2 go down and maybe a 3rd bottom playoff

SPL2 16 teams top 2 go up and maybe a 3rd top paly off

bottom 3 go down, and a play off AT HAMPDEN, may as well get it sopme use, in a big semi final and final type playoff between 4th bottom in SPL2 and 2nd top in each regional league.

NOTE: regional leagues can have as many or as little as they want, from 10 to 18 teams.

I hope Rodger Mitchell is Reading!!!

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
Of course, maybe we could after a while take all these ideas, or at least the best ones, & email them all to the nessecary governing bodies. So that's the SFA, SPL & SFL, because the SFA will be able to help with the non-league leagues (I think). I think a team like Pollock, or someone like that (my knowledge of the Juniors is non-existant) would add an extra spice to the league, & then we have teams from the south like Gala Fairydean, who've missed out on a league place both times there was going to be an expansion in favour of highland sides, would be a good addition.

The south of Scotland, more rugby country, still deserves a league side of some sort, & Gala look strong every year in the Scottish Cup.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I lean towards Cam and Juvebhoy. Less teams but a recognised route for teams with ability and resources.

Cam gave a good example of Pollok who a few years ago were producing audiences of four figures.

p.s JB aren't Cowdenbeath currently in division 2? :eek:

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Good ideas folks. Here's my view on the matter.

SPL - 16 teams
SD1 - 16 teams

Various Feeder leagues:

Borders Division
Highland Division
Central Division
Western Division

I'm not sure if there are enough clubs but if we could get 12-18 team leagues in these regions it would certainly liven up our game as quit frankly apart from betting I ignore the lower leagues.

12 team SPL setup is now starting to annoy me aswell...

ChelseaBear

·
Registered
862 Posts
My idea is similar to Cam's.

Have a Premier league of 16 teams, and a 1st Division of 16 teams.

Then have all junior/highland clubs playing in lower leagues (non league), with maybe the top 2 clubs from these non leagues being promoted to the 1st division.

Dunno how many clubs are in Scotland (including all clubs playing non league), but the league structure could look like this:

Premier
|
1st Division
|
LowerLeague 1 - LowerLeague 2 - Lowerleague 3 - etc

Winners of lower leagues play each other in playoffs for promotion.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Or, as many of the papers are suggesting, kick the Old Firm out entirely, and let them play each other 38 times a year.
Personally, i wouldn't care if the Old Frim were thrown out. It would ultimately benefit all other clubs. Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
yea. sounds like a plan! i think 3 regions is enough though. geographically 4 would be best, but its having enough teams. i think 10 teams in each regionis most likely, but as i said, bigger regions could hold more.

borders and east scotland 10 teams
west and central 14 odd teams
highland stretching down to dundee way 12ish

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
Now of hand, I think the Highland League currently sits at 18 teams. I'd say you have a North Division 1 & 2, stretching from Wick in the north, as far south as Perth. 2 Division of 10 teams, with teams such as Huntly, Cove Rangers, Tayport (OVD Scottish Cup semi-finalists) & Clachnucudden in the top, & Wick Academy, Forres Mechanics & Fort William in the bottom of the 2.

The only problems of getting enoughs teams together would be with the south, because, unless you include Fife to the borders, there wouldn't be enough sides that I can think of. We must remember that rugby is the king in the borders. I won't even bother talking about the other 2 provinces though because I don't have a cue. In theory we could even split into 2 regional divisions, north (Perth/Dundee being the border) & then a southern division. It would be easier on an administrative level at least. But if it is going to be split geographically can me make sure we have a better understanding of geography than the people who do the American Football divisions. As far as I remember, some team from Florida play in the west!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
whiiiiit! you just wrote almost EXACTLY! what i said!!

adam2k1 said:
My idea is similar to Cam's.
Have a Premier league of 16 teams, and a 1st Division of 16 teams.

Then have all junior/highland clubs playing in lower leagues (non league), with maybe the top 2 clubs from these non leagues being promoted to the 1st division.

Dunno how many clubs are in Scotland (including all clubs playing non league), but the league structure could look like this:

Premier
|
1st Division
|
LowerLeague 1 - LowerLeague 2 - Lowerleague 3 - etc

Winners of lower leagues play each other in playoffs for promotion.

·
Fourth Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Conte
7,783 Posts
i know this is slighty of topic abit......
but Ross county look what they have done in the last couple of years....
got all the way up to div 1
and on the road to div 1 they had a spell where they were winning 8-0, 7- 0 etc

·
Registered
862 Posts
Sorry JB, i thought it was Cam who said this.

I dont know if spliting the leagues into regional areas matter. Do they? Obviously it would be easier for the league but there isn't an even split.

IF a split is required, it should be West and East, as JB suggested. Scotland is traditionaly separated into West and East (in footballing terms) so it seems logical.

Basically, England is a perfect example. (So hard to say, but jus look at their footballing pyramid, right down to below their Ryman Premier, Dr Martin Premier etc. Even these leagues have lower leagues.) Take this set up and apply it to Scotland. Everythin would be to a smaller scale, but all the same set up.

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
But with the east/west split you still end up with more teams on the west coast. How about 3 splits, north, east & west. Because I still believe that there is a huge number of teams up here who could do well, because they have the drive & ambition that all the dead wood have. Not to mention a huge catchment area, as long as the youngsters up here are encouraged to follow Brora Rangers, Clach, etc & not 1 of the 3 biggest teams in this region, being Rangers, Aberdeen & Celtic (in that order.) In fact Caley & County have more supporters than both Aberdeen & Celtic, & are on par with Rangers in my school, but the numbers of Rangers fans is quite sickening.

I wish glory hunters would fvck off & everyone supported a local side:mad:

·
Registered
737 Posts
You can't have 3 regional divisions as you wouldn't be able to have a play-off system(unless a SD1 team made up another place).

Here is my suggestion(s):

SPL - 16 teams with 2 relegated

SD1 - 16 teams with 2 promoted,2 relegated.

4 Regional Divisions - Champions of each Division go into a Play-off and the 2 winners go up.

OR

3 Regional Divisions - 3 Champions + 3rd bottom SD1 side play-off.

The play-off would be 4 teams who get drawn to play another of the teams in a 2 legged tie.The 2 teams who win the tie go up(or stay up).

There could also be a play-off between 3rd in SD1 and 3rd bottom in SPL for another possible promotion/relegation place.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
yea thats ma plan. looks a lot tidier the way champmaster wrote it,

SPL - 16 teams with 2 relegated

SD1 - 16 teams with 2 promoted,2 relegated.

3 Regional Divisions - 3 Champions + 3rd bottom SD1 side play-off.

i think cam, cos he knows lower league football better than i do, hit the nail on the head in terms of where each region should end. North, West, East+South together. highland teams ahve proved to have a lot of ambition and have so fat been successful in the professional leagues.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts