Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apart from a few deceased players who already have their own topic, it is now and then also happening unfortunately that we have to say goodbye to a club.

The next one in the row will be Gretna FC probably. They are now officially set back straight from the premier division to the third division (so a relegation of 3 divisions at once): 1 on-field relegation due to bad results and 2 extra relegations for financial issues. The club promoted 3 times in a row but the fairytale ends as they are back where they started from: the lowest level of the league. This is just the final breath though, the club will probably cease to exist within the next days. :moan:

·
Legend
1,550 Posts
Sad . . . :(

They only had a 3,000 capacity stadium. Maritimo only has 9,000. Unreal how these teams compete against the giants with 50,000+.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Well it doesn't really bother me to be honest. Its' good for all the lower league clubs in Scottish football that Gretna have gone.

I follow my hometown team stranraer and Gretna have been pinching our best players and numerous other teams in the league for their 3 years of promotions. They stole fans from Stranraer and Queen of the South at a time where both clubs need as many people coming through the gates as anyone else. Times are hard financially in lower league Scottish Football so not having Gretna around is a good thing.

Gretna are just a little Chelsea, it's a lesson here, this is what happens when your rich chairman vanishes, or in this case, runs out of money.

This also means that one of the deserving non-league teams (who are bigger than Gretna and get more crowds) gets their shot at league status.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Didn't Gretna only come up because of the money? Just like Hoffenheim in Germany? If so, that's what can happen when you lay your fortune into the hands of the wealthy man. And then I'm not sad at all. They're now where they come from.

edit: the post above me says it all. ;)

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
Hoffenheim, Gretna... clubs i can't stand. Here in Croatia we have Kamen Ingrad. They were 5th league local club until their owner decided to invest his company money into the club. He built 10k stadium in place where only 2k people live. (Hoffenheim has even less if i'm not wrong). And ofcourse.. after 4,5 years of top league (even played Spartak Moscow and Schalke in Intertoto) they run of out money. Both club and owners company got bankrupted and how they got relegated second year in a row. This time to third division. Today new managemant is trying to get club out of debts (just for players salaries they owe few millions). Honestly i give them 1 more year before they will shut down the club.

Their stadium will remain as a monument of stupidity.

·
Defunk'ed
7,869 Posts
Concerning the main idea regarding the death of clubs, we have seen some great resurrections from death as well recently. Examples being Fiorentina and Lazio!

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
There's an unhealthy hatred for Gretna from many fans in Scotland. They had some investment but FFS it's not like they signed Crespo or Shevchenko....they signed Steve Tosh...:dielaugh:

Scottish football is a closed shop (no relegation from bottom division - luckily for East Stirling) and many of these clubs enjoy privileges as "member clubs".

As for stealing fans...WTF...Gretna can't be any more culpable than the old firm who get fans in by the busload from all over the country and beyond.

Gretna are just a little Chelsea.....LOL.....let's give Celtic and Rangers the same playing budget as Aberdeen for next season and we'll see how they get on. It certainly wont be as good as now where individually they have the same available finance as all the other 38 clubs put together.:neutral:

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Relegation because of finances doesn't always spell ruin for a club. Lechia Gdansk were relegated from the Ekstraklasa to the VI Liga. However, the fans stayed loyal and the team won four consecutive promotions to get back to the II Liga. After playing there for three seasons, they've now been promoted back to the top flight.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Apart from a few deceased players who already have their own topic, it is now and then also happening unfortunately that we have to say goodbye to a club.

The next one in the row will be Gretna FC probably. They are now officially set back straight from the premier division to the third division (so a relegation of 3 divisions at once): 1 on-field relegation due to bad results and 2 extra relegations for financial issues. The club promoted 3 times in a row but the fairytale ends as they are back where they started from: the lowest level of the league. This is just the final breath though, the club will probably cease to exist within the next days. :moan:
Actually Gretna started lower than that. But its not sad, they just bought their success.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Gretna is only 2 hours drive from me and I think its a shame this has happened, The worst thing was the way the club started to go downhill, with the money man supposed 'going into hospital' but then never returning to pay anyone, Gretna could have achieved something good if the money continued, but it wasnt to be, Unfortunately.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Yes but City's money before this season was all self-earned and non-articificial, unlike Gretna's. We'd still be able to buy Bozhinov without Thaksin.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Does that mean you don't currently have ANY debt and will be making any new signings using profits from last season?

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
No, but our debt is sustainable. If Thaksin left, we'd not fail to pay the players like Gretna did.
Fair enough. Are you happy to increase your debt/operating losses in order to achieve more success on the pitch?

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Yes, provided we are not living beyond our means. The fact is City have a 40,000+ average attendance and some fantastic players. If we fall into debt, we can cover ourselves through sales and have something to fall back on. Gretna had nothing like that, which is why they wil go bust now.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
What could they ahve achieved? They were bottom of the SPL on a terrible points total, with an average gate of 300.
Yes but they were bottom because their players couldnt concentrate on playing football, they were not being paid, they were playing for nothing with all expenses being payed by them the players, its no suprised they were being beat with no motivation and not in the right frame of mind.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
So? Thats something a club should ensure, morale of players, by paying them and looking after them. Besides they were bottom and adrift long before their owner's money ran dry.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Yes, provided we are not living beyond our means. The fact is City have a 40,000+ average attendance and some fantastic players. If we fall into debt, we can cover ourselves through sales and have something to fall back on. Gretna had nothing like that, which is why they wil go bust now.
A myth.

Welcome to Elland Road son.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.