Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
62,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question here...

...what would you guys consider to be the _true_ definition of a winger?

Is a winger expected to be a smooth dribbling, good paced player with the ability to beat defenders?

Or is a good winger's responsibility to ensure crosses into the box?

How much of a defensive responsibility can a good winger have?

Things like that... and who's a player you'd classify as the perfect winger?

For me, it's Vicente of Valencia. Pure all-around skill, can beat defenders with ease, great pace, phenomenal crossing ability to find markers, and a great work ethic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let's assume it's a basic 4-4-2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sazón said:
Yeah, but it depends what kind of style they play--offensive or defensive, longball or one-touch, fixed 4-4-2 or a moving, changing one...
Jesus Christ, it's a simple question... just what is your definition of a winger?

Forget it... anybody else want to actually answer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,124 Posts
FigoIsGod said:
Jesus Christ, it's a simple question... just what is your definition of a winger?

Forget it... anybody else want to actually answer?
My definition of a winger is someone who plays close to the sidelines. That's it.

In today's game, there are many different type of wingers, and the definition is very broad.

People consider Kewell are true winger. People consider Pires a true winger. For me, both are wingers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,157 Posts
Well, to me a winger is simply someone who plays on the wings :)
Also, to me, a winger is someone who is more on offense than defense, but has more or less the same responsibilities in the middle of the park as the other midfielders. As for whether he should be a dribbler or a crosser, well...he should certainly be able to do both to a certain extent, but which part you emphasize depends really on what kind of style you play (ie. do you prefer crosses into the box, or are you more of the dribble around get in the box with your feet on it type of guy).
 

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
Joined
·
22,495 Posts
Garrincha!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
I think Joaquín Sánchez of Real Betis is an excellent example, who is used as a true winger for both Real Betis and Spain. He's incredibly fast, an excellent dribbler, can provide a decent cross and has an eye for goal. Of course, there are many other examples.

But wingers these days are old fashioned - when was the last time you saw a decent team play a pair of wingers on each side? "Cutting in" is the new thing with supporting wing-backs. This isn't the case for every team, of course not, but when you look at football during the '80s and '90s, there are much less pure wingers in teams these days.
 

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
Joined
·
22,495 Posts
I think Joaquín Sánchez of Real Betis is an excellent example, who is used as a true winger for both Real Betis and Spain. He's incredibly fast, an excellent dribbler, can provide a decent cross and has an eye for goal. Of course, there are many other examples.
yeah...like L. FIGO :D :D :D and many more ;) :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,350 Posts
A great example of a true winger and how wingers "should" be is Zambrotta, although he plays at LB. He's got all a winger needs, except maybe he does to few goals for a winger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,484 Posts
Sazón said:
People consider Kewell are true winger. People consider Pires a true winger. For me, both are wingers.

For me, Pires is not the definition of a true winger, always cutting across the field and as dangerous as he may be I personally think players like Pires falls short of the definition in comparison to other wingers. I would apply a similar comment to Figo. Figo cuts inside, not as badly as Pires, but constantly has difficulty getting it down the line and crossing the ball. Usually, his dribbles down the line go nowhere and he either ends up losing the ball or gives it to someone else running down the same flank.

A true winger is someone who can dribble forward, getting away from the defenders easily, stays true to the touchline and knocks in crosses. Good examples are Zambrotta, Duff, Giggs (of old) & Christiano Ronaldo.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,551 Posts
Barça_Fan said:
when was the last time you saw a decent team play a pair of wingers on each side?
Today, Chelsea versus Newcastle.

Arjen Robben and Damien Duff are great examples of pure wingers. They play wide, they dribble, they cross, they get foward and score. For my money, I'll say Robben is better but they both terrorise defenses from both wings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,845 Posts
There's wingers then there's wide midfielders. The difference being a winger will hug the touchline a lot more, and will look to take on the full back on the outside and cross, whereas a wide midfielder will cut inside a lot more. Someone like Freddie Ljungberg I would give as an example of a wide midfielder, while as already mentioned, Joaquin is a great example of a winger.

Obviously though the term has become corrupted and is now almost interchangable with left/right midfield. In fact if we take it right back to the origins of the word then even what I said above is incorrect because the term was used to refer to the two wide forwards played as part of a 4-3-3 system. E.g...

----------------X---------------

---X--------X------X------X-----

--------X------X------X---------

--W-----------X-------------W-

I think. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,405 Posts
a winger is the player who plays in the wing!!
a winger can dribble, cross,get forward and score sometimes,for me vicente is the best exmble because he combines all these qualities!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,959 Posts
fc barcelona said:
a winger is the player who plays in the wing!!
a winger can dribble, cross,get forward and score sometimes,for me vicente is the best exmble because he combines all these qualities!

Not that Vicente is bad, but for me it's still Luis Figo. ;)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,336 Posts
Firenze said:
For me, Pires is not the definition of a true winger, always cutting across the field and as dangerous as he may be I personally think players like Pires falls short of the definition in comparison to other wingers. I would apply a similar comment to Figo. Figo cuts inside, not as badly as Pires, but constantly has difficulty getting it down the line and crossing the ball. Usually, his dribbles down the line go nowhere and he either ends up losing the ball or gives it to someone else running down the same flank.

A true winger is someone who can dribble forward, getting away from the defenders easily, stays true to the touchline and knocks in crosses. Good examples are Zambrotta, Duff, Giggs (of old) & Christiano Ronaldo.
badly? you saying its a bad thing?
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top