Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least how you set up, it destroys the idea of having a team because you attack with 3 and defend with 8, and every team in the league knows how to play against it, by keeping compact and counter-attacking like Cagliari did last week.

I understand Del Neri sold/loaned D'agostino, but surely either Totti or Cassano can be used out wide and it would help Mancini's play if he was able to come forward as surprise rather than always having to pass to anyone of the heavily marked trio..

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
That's a good point. I don't think the tridente is working. Maybe a regular 4-4-2 would be best.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
That's what I've been saying for a long time. A 4-4-2 like last year's Capellos is the best for Roma, and now that Emerson is gone is even more needed to have more people in the midfield. Problem is how to bench Cassano or Totti since they are stars, or Montella with the season he's having.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
It has little to nothing to do with the tridente, it's the fact that we have nothing behind them in terms of creativity. De Rossi has been anonymous this season, same for Mancini, Perrotta can't pass for his life, Dacourt's game revolves around his crunching tackles, and Aquilani is nothing but average in my eyes. A 4-4-2 wouldn't change anything.

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
Interesting thread, Politician.
Versus Milan, Conti moved Cassano out more toward the left wing yesterday in an effort to link the midfield with Totti & Montella. I think our club recognizes that there's a certain imbalance with the tridente, though it's still not clear what's creating that problem, the lack of quality/ideas of the 8 in back, or the module itself. It's just one of the many daunting organizational issues facing our poor club. :frownani:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
It might seem a little radical and perhaps a waste of talent but have we thought of moving Totti in the midfield and playing Cassano and Montella upfront?

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
"you attack with 3 and defend with 8"

This is EXACTLY what a said to myself yesterday. And I don´t know why we are doing this, could it be because everyone expects (including the players) that the tridente will fix it all by them selfs just because they are Totti, Cassano and Montella?

·
Professional Pirate
7,107 Posts
heres an idea why not play a diamond formation for our midfield so that totti can link the mid field to the attack and of course dacourt is the bottom of the diamond with de rossi to his left and mancini to the right so that totti has support for mancini and vice versa...we all know that every one of these players are great individually but its a team game not a three man show and i think we will prove that against udinese so here is the formation im thinking of:

---------------curci--------------

pannuci------chivu-------mexes-----cufre--

----------------dacourt-----------------

------mancini-----------------de rossi----

-----------------totti-------------------

--------montella--------cassano----

but with this formation we must be wary of the wings play of the opposing team...maybe d'agstino should come back to the club if he is ready...ya so i think that formation is best for the team since we can keep a very strong tridente but also have alot of talent in the mid field but we also must get pannuci and cufre up...if cappello did something right for the team it was the free flowing game between the defence the midfield and the attack we just need a deeper bench and i think we can challenge for the cup next year :D

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Never thought of it that way! Thanks for enlighten me. I've been thinking about our unstructured football for a full day now, but still haven't found theoretical solutions. The only thing I got out of last nights match is that the tridente is all alone and I automatically blamed the centrocampisti, but perhaps it's the ideology "tridente" that makes us unstructured. :confused: Like...it's not physically possible for the midfielders to support the tridente sufficiently?

·
Professional Pirate
7,107 Posts
exactly lol football manager is good for something!!! LOL mancini is low in confidence and is looking sluggish but perrota is garbage with his passing and dacourt seems to be doing a better jog in the midfield so if totti goes back to his mid field ways like he was back when batistuta was the striker along with delvechio or montella or cassano you will see that totti played ahead of the midfield but not to far but far enuff behind the strikers to support both the midfield and the attacking area lets just hope that conti is smart enuff to use it so that we can have some wing play and also get everybody attacking not just 3 people as a unit we are strong but alone we will fall so we must play like a team throught the whole game not just 3 man attack and 8 men defend thats getting us nowhere so with a little more long balls to to cassano and let everybody move forward and support im not a player coach for my team for nothing >.< LOL forza roma

·
Professional Pirate
7,107 Posts
Never thought of it that way! Thanks for enlighten me. I've been thinking about our unstructured football for a full day now, but still haven't found theoretical solutions. The only thing I got out of last nights match is that the tridente is all alone and I automatically blamed the centrocampisti, but perhaps it's the ideology "tridente" that makes us unstructured. Like...it's not physically possible for the midfielders to support the tridente sufficiently?
sorry for the double post but to answer your question i think the "trident" can work its just that one of our pieces of the trident needs to play behind the other two isnt lippi doin that for the national team???.....its true that teams do know how to play against it and we have seen that during the palermo and cagliari game but we must play like a team and spread the ball to the wings thus spreding the opposing defence and not getting marked by more then one person...if de rossi come back from his ban and plays down the left side i think we will do fine along with mancini it should give us an attacking yet defensive presence do i even need to mention dacourt LOL so ya heres what i think about the udinese game...even if its not for another week or so

--------curci----------

scurto----chivu---ferrari----mexes or mexes in the central and ferrari in the wing

----------dacourt--------------

mancini-----------------de rossi

-----------totti----------------

montella------------cassano------

but mexes is better in the attacking area and ferrari seems to be playing well with chivu so we cant break up that pair can we?? perrotta should be bench he doesnt have pace nor can he pass so dacourt is technically better and more efficient in the midfield we dont need xavier....im not even gonna mention why...so ya thinking way to ahead but hey thats the way i am :p so ya wut do you think about that formation?? good enuff against udinese or am i barking up the wrong tree???

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
I don't really know what to think about that formation. I wonder how Totti will respond to the even tighter marking he will be forced to handle if he's played in a more defensive role. But he's out against Udinese anyway...

To change the question a little bit, is it possible for the midfielders to transport the ball to the tridente when the three up front completely lack work rate? For the teams you mentioned, two thirds of the tridente have a lot more defensive responsibility than what the case is with Roma. I believe that makes it easier to distribute the ball to them as they're closer to the midfielders. Just a thought.

·
Professional Pirate
7,107 Posts
whoops sorry he isnt in the udinese match is he.......my bad.......k scrap that go back to 4-4-2 LOL

·
Registered
581 Posts
did we not try a 4-4-2 when Del Neri took over....and what did that do for us? NOTHING.

Roma can't play a 4-4-2, we don't have the wing play to do so, if cufré works on his crossing and mancini plays like mancini should then we could possibly try a 4-4-2 with the diamond midfield, but for now we can't. with cufré probably out injured thanks to cafu we could try this.although i disagree playing a 4-4-2, if we have to, it should be like this.

----------------------Curci-------------------------
-Xavier/Panucci------Mexes/Ferrari----Chivu----Panucci/Cufré when healed-
-----------------------Dacourt---------------------
-Mancini--------------------------------De Rossi----
---------------------Totti---------------
---------Montella----------------Cassano

This could possibly work and that's only if Panucci pushes up and gets crosses in and Mancini decides to show up for more than 1 game in a season, de rossi would be like a DM on the left rather then attacking on the wing the way that formation looks, but I personally think this has a slight chance of working, and when cufré's back panucci can go to the right, and if mancini doesnt show up, aquilani has to play the wing.

and a quick question, how many of you would oppose to this formation. it's basically the milan system but worth a shot.

----------------------Curci-------------------------
-Xavier/Panucci------Mexes/Ferrari----Chivu----Panucci/Cufré when healed-
-----------------------Aquilani---------------------
-----------Dacourt-------------De Rossi-------
---------------------Totti---------------
---------Montella----------------Cassano

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Panucci on the left side is horrible.
The only solution i see in Chivu on the left back position with Ferrari and Mexès as central defenders.Then Cufrè could be in left midfield.

If we buy a left winger in summer, we can shift Chivu in central defense alongside Mexès and Cufrè as left back.

·
Registered
581 Posts
i was thinking of chivu as left back but he's too solid and too important in the centre of defence to us that we should keep him there, it's a liability playing panucci on the left but with cufré most definately out who will we play there, unless dellas fills in the centre and chivu as lb but i've always liked chivu in the centre as opposed to putting him on the left, but what do u guys think of us playing a somewhat christmas tree formation?

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
Ever considered a 3-4-1-2 with Ferarri-Chivu-Mexes in the back and Mancini-Dacourt-Perotto-De Rossi in the middle supporting the front 3?

·
Registered
581 Posts
De Rossi wouldn't do much on the left wing tho and with that formation and no cufré we have no one on the left pushing up

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
Fair enough, but is a 3-4-1-2 a possible solution with other players?

·
Registered
581 Posts
-------curci------------
----ferrari mexes chivu----
-mancini-dacourt-de rossi-cufré-
--------totti-------
--montella--cassano

1 - 20 of 57 Posts