Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Bergkamp was the first that came to my mind.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
What do you mean by last decade? 90s? If it's 90s, then Baggio, Bergkamp, Del Piero.

In this decade,

Bergkamp, Totti, DP, Raul.

·
Registered
66,785 Posts
Raul to me is a striker, not a SS.

DP
Totti
Bergkamp

Arshavin could join that list if he shines in England.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Messi I would count as a 2nd striker and he walks over Rooney.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Raul to me is a striker, not a SS.

DP
Totti
Bergkamp

Arshavin could join that list if he shines in England.
Bergkamp was a far superior player to Totti, and Totti was brilliant in his prime, but not on Bergkamp's level IMO.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Its easy to say Bergkamp was far superior to Totti, but on what grounds? At international level I will agree Bergkamp was better overall, but as usual many people under estimate what Totti did or has done for Roma and Bergkamp was not a great player for Inter Milan (obviously I have to understand that not every player is great at every club too).

Anyway to me Ronaldinho is also the same kind of player as Bergkamp and Totti and honestly he was superior to both at his best as is Messi at the moment. The difference between all of them though is none of them could play like a target man striker like Totti has done and be top scorer playing this role.

·
Registered
28,216 Posts
I will name 3 Italians that immediately spring to mind

Baggio
Zola
Totti

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Its easy to say Bergkamp was far superior to Totti, but on what grounds? At international level I will agree Bergkamp was better overall, but as usual many people under estimate what Totti did or has done for Roma and Bergkamp was not a great player for Inter Milan (obviously I have to understand that not every player is great at every club too).

Anyway to me Ronaldinho is also the same kind of player as Bergkamp and Totti and honestly he was superior to both at his best as is Messi at the moment. The difference between all of them though is none of them could play like a target man striker like Totti has done and be top scorer playing this role.
It's a good point. But if you look at it that way, Totti has played for Roma and only Roma but that still is fantastic when you look at what he has done. Bergkamp was great at Ajax too don't forget, and he didn't do too well at Inter because he was played as a Number 9.

I know what Totti has done for Roma, I like him a lot as a player (as a person is a totally different story) and thinks he has immense talent, technique, vision, shot, control, dribbling. But Bergkamp had all of that and a heap of grace and elegance which he brought to the football field as well.

I am surprised Ronaldinho wasn't mentioned earlier actually. He wins this hands down if counted as a second striker.

1. Ronaldinho
2. Bergkamp
3. Baggio

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
If its the last decade Baggio shouldnt be included... 1999 to 2009... Baggio is nowhere top 3.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
99-09

Difficult to say. Can either of Ronaldinho or Messi be counted as second strikers?

1. Ronaldinho
2. Messi/Totti
3. Bergkamp

·
Registered
46,341 Posts
1) Alessandro Del Piero
:howler:

I thought you were talking about top 3 second strikers, not about top 3 choking second strikers. Del Piero's international contribution both to Juventus and Italy has been pretty average since the famous injury (it's more or less a decade now), the way Juventus have been over all average in CL.

1999-2000: destroyed by Celta Vigo in the UEFA Cup
2000-2001: kicked out in group phase 1
2001-2002: kicked out in group phase 2
2002-2003: final!... but they lose it to Milan after PKs!
2003-2004: kicked out by Deportivo La Coruna in the 1/8 (0-2 o.a.)
2004-2005. kicked out by Liverpool in the QF (1-2 o.a. Cannavaro!)
2005-2006: kicked out by Arsenal in the QF (0-2 o.a.)
2006-2007: deservedly in serie B
2007-2008: back in serie A
2008-2009: let's see

so, in spite of playing with huge champions like Buffon, Nedved, Zidane, Thuram, Zambrotta, etc. etc. etc. he managed to reach one final and lose it in a decade.

I don't even mention his international carreer with the Italian NT...

BTW it looks like the Ballon d'or and the FIFA world player have pretty much ignored him. Wonder why, eh? ;)

·
Premium Member
12,798 Posts
Blasphemy :scream:
How can Shevchenko not be listed? Despite having the physique of a center forward, he's essentially a second striker.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Henry is no way a second striker, may be this year behind Eto'o but he was shocking last year and was the top striker for Arsenal.

Id say Bergkamp, his name immediately came to mind when i saw the topic.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I think the definition of second striker needs to be clarified. Messi & Ronaldinho played in a 4-3-3 for Barcelona, but they can't be called wingers. So, one can call them second strikers.

I think a forward with a good number of assists can be called second striker.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts