Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 1103 Posts

·
On Planet Z
6,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to talk about everything and nothing? Let's shoot the breeze! :cool:

So, tell us a little bit about your fine selves...

1. Why'd you choose your alias?
2. Where do you live?
3. What do you do in life?
4. What sort of music do you listen to?

Me...
1. I've always been fascinated by the various mythologies of the world, and the phoenix was one of the more interesting creatures--it represented rebirth, everlasting life, and in Chinese mythology, it represented the union of Yin and Yang. When I was thinking about what name to register under here, I was at a moment in my life where I was recovering from a terrible ordeal (don't bother asking about it; I won't discuss it)--I felt at that point as if I had been reborn from the ashes, in a way of speaking. Also, it is said that the mythical phoenix was red and yellow in color, so voilà! :D

2. Until June, I'm in Paris; this summer, I'll be making a move to NYC.

3. I waste my time in school. :pp

4. I'm quite eclectic--right now, I'm really into raï music (dance music from North Africa) and am in love with Faudel! :cool:

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
1. don't remember, but I always use "Wolf" or "Soul Reaver" in my nicknames and since this is a Roma forum, and you all know the story of the city, Of wolf and Man seems to fit.

2. I'm in Colorado right now, don't know where I'll be next but eventually I'll settle back home in Saudi.

3. drift and study.

4. heavy metal.

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
1) I chose it because it is my nick name and almost everyone close to me calls me Gaga and well there are many reasons for my nick name...Back when I was living in Montecelio Guidonia in Rome...me and a group of friends went into an abandoned little house...and we use to use it as a club-house....play cards and hide secret things :D

Anyways one day on a very cold winters day...we were feeling cold and so I thought of an idea...there was an old fire-place in the room...so I went in search of something which I could burn in it. There was nothing but a few burnt out logs and some sponge from a sette...so I decided I'll light this sponge as I thought "whay hey it will burn" burn it did...after a minute the fire got out of hand and I couldn't control it, the others in the room were there just staring at my work...soon enough the whole little house was full of smoke and fumes in-toxicating us...we tried to fan the flames but it made it worse so we just ran out the house and on to the back streets...and split up down the street only to return soon enough after 10 minutes and we could hear people shouting fire!!! fire!!!...

Anyways a little old french lady saw us and started pointing in our direction...and because it's the sort of town everyone knows each other it's fúcking hard to get away with anything...so when my friends were questioned they gave me up...and that little French lady from that day onwards called me gaga...:D she took a liking to me too from that day and use to invite me over for cakes and snacks and what have you...I carried that nick name around with me even now...:tongue:

My attration to starting fires actually didn't cease...when I was 15 I was under a block of flats here in London...and here they have bins under the blocks of flats...anyways I remembered the song "Firestarter" and so that's what I did...I started a giant fire in the bin area with my brother...:D

The name gaga got carried on when on a ski trip...me and mates were hungry and all we had was a whole chicken, so I decided to cook it in a microwave and well...after eating it we had a whole week of food poisoning...no skiing for us...:depress:

2) I live in London...because my family was living in poverty whilst living in Italy and no my family did not take advantage of the UK benefit system for anyone who thinks that, the day we set foot on British soil the very next day my dad was working and making a living whilst we stayed with my aunt till we could find a place to rent.

3) I go to college and study Economics and Business Studies...help my dad in his garage when I have spare time(I have a lot of spare time but hardly work)...or pissing my gf off with my weirdness...:D

4) Right now I'm listening a lot to Xiu Xiu...very interesting band...and I switch between them and my usual Bob Dylan dose in the mornings...London is not the greatest place to wake up to and Bob eases that...

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
1) Deano is of course an Italian way of saying my name and being half Italian I prefer 'Deano' even though Dino is the proper spelling.

2) Im in London for a bit longer but hopefully not too long.

3) I just play sport all the time, and the other odd things there are to do.

4) Rock Music - Muse, Nirvana and RHCP are some of my faves but Im into 80's music at the moment :tongue:

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
1. Back a year or two before i joined xt, this site used to host [email protected] email adresses but they stopped doing it for some reason and i had to go get a hotmail one instead. I tried romafan, romafan1, 2, 3 4.... etc. but all where taken so i just put in 53 and that worked, hence the name.

2. Cork in the South of Ireland. European capital of culture 05' and home to such football stars as Roy Keane and Liam Miller:cool:

3. Supposed to be studying for what are apparently the most important exams of my life....oh well.

4. Tenacious D et al.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
1. Thotobald.. How do I explain this? It's some sort of internal humour. I think Thoto comes from Thomas and Totti, but it's rather strange. I don't know about bald, but I can assure you that it hasn't got anything to do with baldness. Ask my friend Junainho. He made the word!

2. Bergen, Norway. Just like RF53's city, Bergen was the capital of culture a few years ago. A couple of weeks ago, an English travel guide found Bergen the second best place for weekend trips (for Englishmen) just behind New York. Unlike RF53, we haven't got any famous footballers. The closest is probably Claus Lundekvam, the Southampton player, but he's not entirely a Bergener. We've had some good players playing in our club, Brann. Hassan El Fakiri (Monaco) and Tore André Flo (Siena) for example.

3. I try to watch as much football as possible, and of course get some okay grades at school. I also like playing FIFA 2004, fishing and play some heavy shit on my guitar!

4. Nirvana, Metallica, Dire Straits (!), Pearl Jam, Placebo, Meat Loaf, Meat Puppets, Bon Jovi, Morten Abel, Live, Guns'n'roses, Manic Street Preachers, Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis, The Verve and Jeff Buckley.

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
1. Back when I was choosing my nick when i started seriously visiting forumes and the likes, I was a really obssessed with the fantasy series "Wheel of time" and the discussions related to it. Demandred is one of the characters in the book and it sounded very cool to me so i chose it for my nick.

2. Plovidiv, Bulgaria.

3. Supposedly preparing for the final exams in Bachelor degree in Finance, but mostly wasting my time on the Internet, reading and watching movies.;)

4. The Police, Garbage, Cranberries, Depeche Mode are my favourites,

·
Registered
13,063 Posts
It's so interesting, ya know, what you learn when you start a thread like this. You really get to compare your assumptions with reality. It's kinda wicked.
I chose Primo because it means cousin in Spanish, and I often use the term cuz as an endearing term for people. The word also means first in Italian, which I consider Roma.
I've been a New Yorker all my life and I will never leave. Born in Brooklyn, I've since moved upstate to the capitol, sleepy Albany. I work in Saratoga Springs, NY - home of horses, health and history. Saratoga is home to the greatest horse race track in the world (6 weeks a year), and is where a sloppy band of American rebels defeated the British in October 1777 on their way to claiming independence. The Battles of Saratoga are ranked among the most important battles in world history by the NYTimes.
I cover Saratoga County for the Albany Times Union, a Hearst daily newspaper. I write mostly about planning, government, schools, current events, crime, etc. I maintain a good relationship w/ the paper's sports editor so I can write soccer columns prior to every big tournament. Italian-biased, of course.;)
Music is very important to me. I'm an oldies kind of guy. Like Gaga, I admire Dylan bigtime, but I love the Dead, the Allman Bros., the Neville Bros and Van Morrison. Also love Jazz and most rap, especially Wu Tang Clan, 50 Cent, anything East Coast.
I'm also a great admirer of food, history and art. I know that sounds snotty or high-brow, but that's what I like, and I ain't gonna apologize for it.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
1. I already knew about Xtratime for a while thought Juve Online but it never attracted me much, back then it was still dominated by a green layout. Then I started reading some of the post being posted and I got into it, wanted to register. Was going to go with "Alex" but that was taken. So I came up with numerodix.

2. Trondheim, Norway. A small town up north, we have polar bears walking the streets. :tongue: The club up here is Rosenborg and they suck but thanks to CL they have given me a chance to see Juve, Real M, Porto, Milan, Ajax through the years.

3. Computer science student and I spend a bunch of time playing with linux. Also dig playing soccer.

4. Just discovered Maksim Mrvica :star: :cool:

·
Registered
87 Posts
1. I had no idea what alias to choose for this site, I'd already done the Roma related name thing on another message board so I just decided to use the nickname I was given when I worked last summer in a pub. It stands for something either flattering or offensive, depending on your perspective :tongue:

2. I currently live in Cornwall in England and have done for 15 years. It's a decent place in terms of clean air and beautiful scenery but I can't wait to get out of here, and will do when I embark on my gap year trip to Rome before university in Birmingham.

3. I'm in the last couple of months of my A Levels so I'm just a student right now. I plan to work my arse off in the summer though, no doubt doing something mind-numbingly spirit sapping but at least it'll be sunny!

4. Right this minute I'm listening to Kanye West, and I like other kinds of hip hop like Nas, Lauryn Hill, Saian Supa Crew, Dilated Peoples, Alicia Keys, Bone Thugs, Asain Dub Foundation (highly recommended), etc. I love Nirvana, Queens of the Stone Age, Muse, REM, the Chilis, Rage Against The Machine, that sort of thing. Jeff Buckley's short stint in the music industry has also recently made a big impact on me.

·
On Planet Z
6,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Primo said:
I'm also a great admirer of food, history and art. I know that sounds snotty or high-brow, but that's what I like, and I ain't gonna apologize for it.
Yo, I'm with you on that, bro. Were I to be sent to a Dantean circle of hell, I'd most likely end up with those who were gluttonous and laviscious in life. It's not a bad crowd to be with; well, the mud part would suck, but anyway...

I'm happy people have replied to this thread--woo hoo! :cool: I thought it would be cool to get to know each other better, and some of these responses crack me up. GaGa, you kill me! :howler:

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
So mighty Romanista, what have you done this Saturday?

I have just relaxed, made some silly bets on matches that never could go my way. I almost won, but friggin' Crystal Palace scored right at the death. :( Apart from that, I've wasted a reprehensible amount of hours on Fifa 2004, but gladly I managed to lurk Mohamed Kallon, Lamouchi and Ciro Ferrara to a crappy Norwegian club named Odd Grenland. In other words, the Saturday has gone by waiting for the sickening clash tomorrow:dazed:

·
On Planet Z
6,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got back from Disneyland, actually...my friends and I decided to do something different this weekend, and as one of the guys is from Anaheim, CA (where the original Disneyland park is) and had been feeling homesick, we trekked out there. I had a lot more fun than I expected; the only thing I didn't like was this rollercoaster that went backwards and gave me a roaring headache. Normally, I love rollercoasters, but this was just too much for me to handle.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Still a lot of time to kill for tomorrow's game.
Today i've been going through my record collection and sorting some stuff out, listened to records and songs i haven't in years.
The Clash, Kiss, Mötley Crüe, New Model Army,...

Yesterday was a pretty cool day.
At 16h in the afternoon i had the great oportunity to meet Herbert Prohaska who won the Championship with us in 1982/83.
A friend of mine who teaches italian at a school here started with a special football focused class about half a year ago.

Somehow around corners and knowing people he managed to invite our former champion.
At the beginning we watched an old video tape with footage from the championship party etc and then he told stories about all players, Dino Viola(former president) and games.

Herbert spent 2 seasons before with Inter and then came to Roma.

He was the roommate of Agostino Di Bartolomei, who was a very quiet person, loved and adored by all fans.God bless him.

The favourite of all fans was Roberto Falcao nevertheless and number 2 in the ranking Dino Viola.
Falcao was allowed to do things for which other players whould have easily gotten fired and released from contract.
He came 3 weeks later than all others from Brazil to traing camp for instance, but worked all by himself up what he missed and was in top shape as the season started.

Everybody expected juve to easily win the season so our coach Nils Liedholm told the players to answer "Juve are great and will win etc..." whenever journalists asked for statements.
In fact Juve beat us 2-1 in both games but that didn't change it in the end. :)
Liedholm was told to be extremly superstitious and even had a friend who lived in Milano, simply called "Mago" who he asked to look up what's written in the stars, and what players might have been better left out.

Before the homegame against Juve Mago saw something terrible in their stars so Prohaska and Maldera were sent on the tribune to follow their friends take on Juventus.
Liedholm always protected the players when journalists asked things like:"Is it true that the players came home last night at 3 in the morning" and he replied: "Oh well, there you see how good my boys are, i allowed them to stay out till 4."

There were no games against Milan and Lazio that season as both had been relegated involved into the "Calcio Scommesse Scandal"(Betting).

Herbert scored 3 goals that season:
Roma 2-1 Ascoli (Pruzzo(penalty) the other one)
Avellino 1-1 Roma
Fiorentina 2-2 Roma (Pruzzo the other goal.Prohaska took the penalty in the end as Roberto was already substituted and Ago didn't play that game-as much as he remembered it)

Before we won the title in Genova against FC Genoa Herbert was out because he had injured his shoulder in a national team game against Germany and wanted to travel with the other boys.
Conti said to him that it's gonna be an ugly game and he'd better stay in Rome and watch it on TV.
He was surprised but having friends at "RAI" he drove up there and watched the game on TV.
Pruzzo scored the memorable header.

The s**detto already in the pocket we had one game left to play in Stadio Olimpico and beat Torino in front of the exstatic tifosi with 3-1.
Although still a bit injured he asked Liedholm to play and he allowed.
Pruzzo(penalty), Conti and Falcao scored this last game.

At a speach President Dino Viola said that noone will leave the squad as a championship bonus and Falcao demanded a higher contract and threatened not to come back from Brazil in case it was denied.
With that in mind Tonino Cerezo was signed for a 3 year contract.
Back then only 2 foreigners per Team were allowed and Herbert had one season left on his.

As Roma Fan Andreotti (involved into a Cosa Nostra scandal) was in south america doing "politics" he sat down and talked out the problems with Falcao who "surprisingly" came back shortly after and excused himself.Don't ask me what he was promised but it worked.
Unfortunatly for Herbert that ment one foreigner will have to leave and Dino Viola decided it's better to pay out Herbert's one season than Cerezo's 3 and he was released.

One of the sadest days in his life Prohaska told us.
He went back to Austria Vienna were he finished his active career years later.

It was fantastic to hear those stories from a Roma Champion although a bit surreal when you only have known it from books, old videos and friends.
A really memorable and beautifull day.

After that i went with some other friends to see a low league game in which our team won 3-0.
The night ended in a Rock Pub called "Voodoo" many beers later around 3 in the morning...maybe it was 4. :D

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Ok, your last couple of days surely ousted my by miles. I've been pretty bored. Had a day off at Friday, mostly killed by cod-fishing in the same fjord the gigantic freighter "Rocknes" capsized and killed like 25 men some months ago. The fjord is still a bit muddy due to all the oil the freighter managed to offload in the major capsize. The cod tasted surprisingly good though. ;)

Fishing balances my mind. It might sound a bit g*y, but standing on the headland watching the sun set actually gives me internal peace and time to digest a couple of things.

But now I have only one thing in mind: Milan - Roma :devil:

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
Thotobald said:
Fishing balances my mind. It might sound a bit g*y, but standing on the headland watching the sun set actually gives me internal peace and time to digest a couple of things.
That sounds quite :cool: actually...

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
I don't know if your kidding or not, but I consider the amazing fishing opportunities the biggest advantage of living in Norway. :cool:

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Nice threado! :)

1. I have no idea. I am often called bobo by my sister and some times bobbet, so bob must have sprung from that. And so I became bob. I had a funny "o" for a while but I got bored with that so I decided to have a nice little moment of exclamation initiating the bob. I like ice-cream.

2. I'm a bit of a nomad, but I'm from Nepal and I will be living here in Kathmandu until I move to college in a few years. That would probably be in the US, even though I have a thing for Europe...;) which is too expensive for me anyway. In the past I have lived all over south east asia and for a short while in the Balkans. I was born in Sri Lanka.

3. I go to school. I'm interested in doing some sort of Film studies thing, as you can imagine, majorly. Also interested in philosophy. Two completely useless subjects which are fascinating but will not get me anywhere in life :D.

4. I listen to a lot of psychadelic/ baroque pop music. the Olivia Tremor Control, Circulatory System, Neutral Milk Hotel, and Magnetic Fields... I like French music too. Like Francoiz Breut, Serge Gainsbourg, Saint Etienne, Yann Tierson (did the Amelie soundtrack), and ofcourse Noir Desir. Then there's that crazy band called Xiu Xiu. GaGa, good call.. ;)

I also like Bulgaria/ Bulgarians. :D So Demandred, you have a fan. Why is it that every Bulgarian I know has a thing for Depeche Mode? Oh, and Bulgarian girls are extremely pretty. As is Bulgarian folk music. Wow.

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
Thotobald said:
I don't know if your kidding or not, but I consider the amazing fishing opportunities the biggest advantage of living in Norway. :cool:
Nope I wasn't joking. :)

·
On Planet Z
6,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Actually, going fishing sounds like a good idea right now...have a few hours of relax time in a place that's not a noisy, crowded city...ahh...

1 - 20 of 1103 Posts