Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17,531 Posts
And if he were how much of a pay cut would you expect him to have...?

This is the type of mismanagement i'm talking about.

·
Administrator
52,974 Posts
Immense legend for us, but seriously, lets hope its not true FFS.

If it would be swell if was just for a reserve role where he would hardly play unless its a necessary, and mainly be around to rub off his experience and winning mentality. But thats how competent teams function, for us it would be they would still see him as a champion that should start for us, and doesnt need a big time replacement to buy for.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
I know what you mean Ozzy:thumbsup:,well in term's off like great TV show's we rather see them going out on a high instead of one season too long.P.S his display against Bologna was simply "cinquestelle"

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Another talk is that he'll be offered a role in our youth sector. One should always know when to retire. Let's hope he'll have the decency to call it quits by himself.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
you would think. as they say up here, leave when the audience is applauding.

hopefully pavel exercises similar judgement.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Going forward, I would like to see Juventus relying less and less on Nedved and Del Piero. While both legends - I don't think they can play 90 minutes every 3 days at full intensity. By all means, keep them.....but gradually I would like to see Giovinco taking more responsibility along with another acquisition in the summer. A good winger or support striker.....and no....not cassano. Someone like Van Persie for example.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
bah, he is more than good as a back-up

i would re-sign him for sure
Cool. You pay his salaries then, and we'll say nothing more of it.
If Nedved played on a vastly downsized contract that reflected his diminished capacity, then having him as sub and squad influence wouldn't be bad, even if it could turn out to tarnish his legacy as a great player.
But as of right now he is paid a star salary that prevents us from getting someone to be a star.

On something the same:
http://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/?action=read&id=127509

Del Piero admittedly is producing and has a different status, but why, WHY would we even think about prolonging a contract that ends in June 2010?

·
Registered
43,403 Posts
do you guys also see a lot of things in common between the role Nedved plays in your team (in more general terms, not so much where he plays in the tactical formation, though even there) and Dinho in ours? Age is on Dinho's side, but other than that they are both kind of similar and get the fat checks no? This is more of a question than a statement.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
The similarity is that Nedved and Ronaldinho both used to be way better than they are now and both today only produce in 'moments' rather than be focal points for the entire game as they used to be.

If their level of performance and importance to the team was similar I would be ecstatic. But they're not. Ronaldinho in his present slowed down capacity provides heaps more offense and creativity than Nedved does for us.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Glen, why wouldn't be thinking about renewing Del Piero's contract. June 2010 is not so far away and he was great in the last few years. A one year renewal would be perfect for now.

·
Administrator
52,974 Posts
but gradually I would like to see Giovinco taking more responsibility along with another acquisition in the summer. A good winger or support striker.....and no....not cassano. Someone like Van Persie for example.
Aside from the impossible dream signings of Benzema or Aguero, I would defenitely say the perfect candidate for what you propose is Giuseppe Rossi. Absolutely STELLAR player, one who has instinctive and telepathic understanding with Giovinco already.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Glen, why wouldn't be thinking about renewing Del Piero's contract. June 2010 is not so far away and he was great in the last few years. A one year renewal would be perfect for now.
Why? We would face no competition for his signing, and the Summer of 2010 is almost two seasons away. Moreover, Del Piero's greatness of last season and his numerous highlights this season... you cannot count on that to continue at his age. Look at Pavel. Look at everyone still playing at 36. That's how old DP will be at that time. resigning him now brings no benefits. Only risks of overpaying.

·
Administrator
52,974 Posts
He wont retire in 2010, and overpaying or not, who cares when he wont retire and we might aswell sign him for that extra season we are sure we will be blessed to have him still. Aslong as its him alone, there is no reason to penny pinch in his last season (What can you possible say to him of all people? "Here, its a significantly lower salary, or NO contract"? :pp).

Plus, even if his quality will diminish for sure, I think its more likely to diminish to a degree of a Bergkamp, and not like Nedved. Meaning not good enough to start in that age, but still brings experienced sheer quality in bursts. Instead of dear Pavel who I respect alot, but who is just downright hapless most of the time due to his decline (and thats more understandable, due to he relies on speed and strenght he doesnt have anymore, while someone like Ale and Bergkamp rely on technique and sheer skill).

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
For me, while he is one of the most representative player one can think of, Del Piero is not as big as the club Juventus... as much as I love the player, I would have preferred that we had Mutu in his place now. Because he is a better player. Extending major contracts to players in decline has consequences to those who are in their shadow - rightly or wrongly.

Unless our formation changes, in 2010 that Mutu situation (plying on the wings in a 442 or starting from the bench) could be replayed with Giovinco or whatever other upcoming star that could/should be in a starting spot at the time.
Again - what possible benefit does it give to sign DP to a longer contract?

·
Administrator
52,974 Posts
Seeing him wearing our shirt for one more season is more then enough benefit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts