181 - 200 of 216 Posts

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
9,978 Posts

·
Registered
16,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #183 (Edited)
The most important thing for our football right now (aside from the chimera of solving the problems of Liga I and youth football of course) is to have a new generation competing abroad, at a good level. Basically, the big leagues, which are the real parameter for a footballer. Watching the highlights of most NT games from the 90´s, it´s clear that our debacle as a NT was paralleled by the decay of our footballers abroad. In the 80´s the core came from a strong divizia A, then the talents started to go abroad and formed the core of 94. Hagi, Popescu, Lupescu, Petrescu, Belodedici played at strong clubs.

By 98 that core was ageing but we were saved by the appearence of Ilie and Moldovan, supported by Galca, Filipescu and Craioveanu. By 2000 only Contra was a notable appearence, while Mutu and Chivu were just emerging. Ganea was another good addition. But it was clear the core was near their end. the team held it´s own but had little future.
And then all went downwards, as Ilie never achieved the same level, and the team relied on the Mutu, Chivu, Contra, Rat and Lobont generation. Many fillers started to appear, players that left no mark and didn´t go further than Liga I in their career. There were some notable cases of players overlooked or barely used, like Lucian, Stoica, Cernat or Serban, that could have improved things, but these players underachieved in their own careers aswell (Niculae and Mitea appeared and dissapeared like a comet).

We only got back to Euro 2008 with a defensive team that relied on a real star at his peak (Mutu), supported by the rest already mentioned, and many forgetable players (the Petres, Codrea, Banel, Daniel Niculae.). The only real appearence in those times was Marica (a great underachiever), who was a great partner for Mutu.

Incredibly, we were close to the 2014 WC, but Piturca blew it. Now we came back to the big scene, helped by an easy fixture, our strenght being the defence and the Brilliance of a recovered talent, Sanmartean, who doesn´t seem to be in the same level as in 2014. we are in desperate need of new blood, cause we rely on a core of players that are just ok for international standards, with decent careers at a middle level and struggling on the high level (Chiriches, Tata, Panti, Sapunaru, Torje, Stancu, Keseru, Maxim, Bourceanu). Our coach is not gonna risk much in bringing the new blood or the not so young blood he left behing before (Bicfalvi, Budescu, Alibec for example). So if we go by the history and the names we´ve got, we shouldn´t make more than a decent role. Getting past the group at best. (I certainly hope for more, but being realistic...)

So looking at the next WC qualification, that won´t be easy at all, I think we really need a core of players that´s doing well abroad, and reaches the highest level again. the ones I see capable of doing this are:

Benzar (23)
Balasa (19)
Hodorogea (21)
Vatajelu (22)
Filip (21)
Bumba (21)
Tanase (21)
Rotariu (20)
Ivan (19)
Matei (22)
Stanciu (22)
Andone (22)
Puscas (19)

I´m talking about players that i think have shown enough, not the ones that are juniors (Hagi or Dragomir), are very raw (Nedelcu or Marin) or already showed signs that they may dissapoint (Mitrita, Bus, Nica or M. Roman for example)

Of course this can change fast, but in the end we only need 6 or 7 players in a top level to be competitive. And what these kids do will be supported by the core of players that have already shown good level abroad and still have many years ahead (Chiriches, Maxim, Gardos, Stancu, Rusescu, the keepers)

Do you think they can make it? Or they should just go to China and stop worrying? :D

·
Registered
9,089 Posts
I'd like to be optimistic and i am but based on the past we can't rely on anything...normally Andone, Matei, Stanciu, Alibec and 2-3 wild cards should get to a decent level (top 10 league, constantly playing) but only future can tell in the end.
Our players go from hero to zero or vice versa in very short periods so it's very hard to predict anything. Matei and Andone seem consistent imo but they are young, too early to say that they will make it. these 2 guys are the brightest prospects in terms of mentality, which is probably more important than the actual talent and potential. talent wise i think we have many players who could make it if they give it all but that's the problem, only few players realise that they have to invest a lot of hard work.
Especially Matei seems very mature considering his age and his rough start as a youth player. he went abroad after he saw no light in Romania and it paid off after hard work (just my impression based on his instagram, he seems to work out a lot which explains his good physical attributes). without constantly working on yourself you won't go anywhere nowadays, talent alone doesn't cut it anymore. he seems like somebody who loves football more than partying.
if guys like Alibec stay focused there is almost no limit. quality wise Alibec should be good enough for any club in the world except Real, Barcelona and similar clubs. with players like Alibec i just always fear that one good season abroad could make him do less than before and then it all goes downhill....but we'll see, we can't say for sure how he really ticks.

·
Registered
16,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Alibec says he´s matured, he recognizes his past mistakes. But he still has a temper and is a smoker, things you can´t afford at a high level, were you can´t give any advantages

But yeah, guys like Andone and Matei seem serious enough. Stanciu too, at least in the last year

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
9,978 Posts
Vlad Galatanu, 17 year old Romanian CM born in Torino, returns to Juve at the end of this month, apparently being from promoted from their U17 to their U19 group. He was on loan at Pro Vercelli U17 in the U17 - A league of Italy, playing 21 games (1,424 mins) for them this season.

only footage I could find:

?v=eVdYZTmwvjg

Seems like the FRF aren't very aware of him, or at least there's not much information on him being capped or called to the NT... quite sure he'd be open to playing for Romania though as his mom is a major patriot lol..

·
Registered
16,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Yeah, in the coming years being able to convince diaspora players to play for Romania will be key. It´d be horrible to see a foreign NT full of romanian names like it happens with Switzerland as Albania 2

·
Registered
12,625 Posts
Yeah, in the coming years being able to convince diaspora players to play for Romania will be key. It´d be horrible to see a foreign NT full of romanian names like it happens with Switzerland as Albania 2
They should all follow Mastour's example

·
Registered
16,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #191 (Edited)

·
Registered
16,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Alex Paun scored after 10 months. He said that his bad form led him to doubt his worth...this is a good example of what happens with out talents. The mentality but also the lack of preparation, psychologists in the teams, prepared coaches and managers...

"Vreau s? ar?t c? nu sunt un caz pierdut!". M?rturisirea plin? de sinceritate a fotbalistului care a înscris în Liga 1 dup? 10 luni | @ProSport

On the same day the nesa about Vali Negru, who is coach, psychologist and also taking mangement classes. Definately the kind of people we need

Vali Negru e unic în fotbalul românesc: antrenor, psiholog, viitor manager! | @ProSport

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
9,978 Posts
OK, so this is the list they made:

10. Florinel Coman
9. Olimpiu Morutan
8. George Puscas
7. Razvan Marin
6. Dragos Nedelcu
5. Dennis Man
4. Ianis Hagi
3. Cristian Manea
2. Andrei Ivan
1. Vladimir Screciu

Decent list, but don't agree with it.
Morutan and Marin should be much higher, Ivan has no place at 2nd in his current situation and Screciu is very talented but definitely not the top one right now.
Also, Dragomir, Pascanu, Matan, Micovschi, Costache, Cicaldau, Rotariu (prob doesn't count anymore at 22), C. Baluta, and others were omitted, but in fairness, there are a lot to compete for a top ten list.

My list:
10. Florinel Coman (could be better if he solved his issues), Cicaldau, or Ianis Hagi (needs to play more, now he has his chance at Viitorul)
9. Vlad Screciu
8. Alex Matan
7. Claudiu Micovschi
6. Alex Pascanu
5. Dennis Man
4. Dragos Nedelcu
3. Olimpiu Morutan
2. Razvan Marin
1. Vlad Dragomir

Also feel like Andrei Vlad, Ionut Radu, and Ionut Rus deserve a shout as goalkeepers, since they will never get much notice in such lists.

·
Registered
12,625 Posts
Ivan has more football in his pinky than all of those put together. He isn't playing because of injury but he's the most talented romanian player out there. Also considering how Screciu was playing for Craiova at only 17 years old, I'd say he's probably the most prodigious on the list.

·
Registered
69,564 Posts
I wouldn't include players without minutes yet in professional football (Dragomir, Micovschi and even Pascanu excluded). And U21 is the limit, older than that won't be included.

Considering that, and judging essentially the potential and not so much their current form, my list:

10.Cicaldau
9.Manea
8.Puscas
7.Ianis Hagi
6.Man
5.Ivan
4.Coman
3.Nedelcu
2.Morutan
1.Marin

I considered Matan, Costache and Screciu too, but they need more time.

·
General Iordanescu
28,212 Posts
2 years later; my additions

Benzar (23) -- CONFIRMED, best RB we have, hopefully OK after injury
Balasa (19) -- also CONFIRMED IMO; we used Grigore for a long time, Balasa now needs a chance; another injury
Hodorogea (21) -- meh
Vatajelu (22) -- could be used, did pretty well
Filip (21) -- LOL
Bumba (21) -- mostly disappeared
Tanase (21) -- does OK
Rotariu (20) -- mostly disappeared after going abroad
Ivan (19) -- overrated (sorry Pele) and injured?
Matei (22) -- didn't succeed abroad, maybe Astra can save him
Stanciu (22) -- CONFIRMED for us, but no success abroad (yet), high pressure
Andone (22) -- CONFIRMED for his club; our style doesn't suit him
Puscas (19) -- confirmed, but at U21 level

I´m talking about players that i think have shown enough, not the ones that are juniors (Hagi or Dragomir), are very raw (Nedelcu or Marin) or already showed signs that they may dissapoint (Mitrita, Bus, Nica or M. Roman for example)
Hagi, Dragomir, Nedelcu, Mitrita, Bancu all promising and Marin is CONFIRMED. The rest, meh. Baluta Confirmed IMO.

Of the ones mentioned, some could/should be starters, e.g. Benzar, Balasa, Marin, Stanciu, Andone at the very least when Alibec is in his current shit form. IMO Baluta has a good claim to it, too.

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
9,978 Posts
I wouldn't include players without minutes yet in professional football (Dragomir, Micovschi and even Pascanu excluded). And U21 is the limit, older than that won't be included.

Considering that, and judging essentially the potential and not so much their current form, my list:

10.Cicaldau
9.Manea
8.Puscas
7.Ianis Hagi
6.Man
5.Ivan
4.Coman
3.Nedelcu
2.Morutan
1.Marin

I considered Matan, Costache and Screciu too, but they need more time.
Maybe with the others but I disagree about Dragomir. Even if he doesn't play for Arsenal's first team, it's a decent level of football and he shows enough with our youth teams. He is also serious and should clearly rise in the next years with some loan time. Playing so well for U23s in Premier League 2 at 18 isn't bad, whereas Puscas struggled even in Serie B until the end of the season where he exploded. Now he is in a horrible situation besides his one goal for Benevento (they are a horrible team to be fair, but he should be playing more then). I guess I could have ranked better purely in potential, though.

181 - 200 of 216 Posts