Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
16,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make a thread that will help us learn a lot in the future. The idea is to list all the prospects of romanian football, guess how far they can get and then follow on their evolution.
It will be interesting to see how accurate our appreciation is and it will also give us a measure of how and at what speed our talents evolve(or not).

For example this seems as a very promising moment, when many kids are confirming for their clubs and the NT, but how will it continue? Will they get lost, live up to expectations or do well but proving we overhyped them?

I would like the help of you all in getting as much data as possible, including dates of birth and main strenghts and weaknesses of every player, along with your appreciation of the future of that particular player.

As a way to compare, i would like to use the example of some of our great talents that are still in activity and could still achieve something else. I will offer a rough "talent estimate" (from 0 to 100) in each case, to use as a comparisson point

Florin Cernat (83)

Best features:Great dribbling, shooting, amazing technique, good passing.

Worst features: Weak physically and low work rate.

What went wrong: Mainly lack of ambition IMO, for example remaining years as a sub.
Present: He surprised with a comeback that was struck by an injury. Maybe he has one last chance.

Lucian Sanmartean (82)

BF:Technique, dribbling, vision, passing, inteligence

WF: Weak physically, a very low scoring rate.

What went wrong: A career plagued by injuries and some bad choices probably.

Present: Keeping a good form in Liga I for 2 seasons without serious injuries. At 30 he is probably too late to do much more.

Adrian Cristea (82)

BF: Dribbling, fantasy, shooting, fantastic technique.

WF: Low work rate, not a great physical shape, very irregular performances

What went wrong: Bad mentality and off the field problems.

Present: Does ok in Liga I. A transfer abroad may
revive his career, he is still 25/26 after all.

Alin Stoica (84)

BF: Amazing vision, technique and passing, an elegant player.

WF: Not too strong or fast, awful mentality.

What went wrong: Apparently serious off the field attitude problem.

Present: At 31, we may not hear much about him anymore.

Tiberiu Ghioane (83)

BF: Intelligence, versatility, class, passing, a sense for scoring.

WF: Not great physically

What went wrong: A strange character and a serious health episode that stopped his evolution

Present: After a nice comeback that got him to the NT he seems to be lost again.

Nicolae Mitea (85)

BF: Speed, dribbling, ease for scoring.

WF: His small body is his only real setback, something i noticed even in his best times.

What went wrong: ...as Gica said, this guy has serious mental problems. He probably still lives in 2005

Present: In his house waiting for an offer from Barcelona:excited:

Ianis Zicu (85)

BF: A magician with the ball, great passing and dribbling, flair, ability to score.

WF: Even when he doesn´t have the best mentality, his main problem are his snail pace and fat body tipe.

What went wrong: It took him a lot to mature, and a bad injury that took a huge time to recover, a bad diagnose included

Present: Probably the best of them all, doing great again in Liga I, and recently back to the NT. However, it remains a mystery if he is able to perform at a higher level.

Now on to the list of current prospects or still young players, with an age estimate (feel free to add names and correct data). I will divide the already stablished names from the mere prospects.

Keepers:

Present:

Tatarusanu (Steaua, 24)
Pantilimon (Timisoara, 23)
Lung jr (Craiova, 21)

Future:

Lungu (Steaua, 20)
Viciu (Sportul, 20)
Pena (Roma, 20)
Bucuroiu (Udinese, 20)
Moldovan (Espanyol, ?)

Right backs

Present:

Rapa (Otelul, 20)
Matel (Astra, 21)
Barboianu (Craiova, 21)
Matei (Pandurii, 20)
Goge (Urziceni, 18)

Future:

Mladen (Roma, 18)

Central defenders

Present:

Radu (Lazio, 24)
Gardos( Steaua, 22)
Gaman (Craiova, 21)
Papp (Vaslui, 20)
Chiriches (Pandurii, 21)

Future:

Daminuta (Milan, 20)

Left back

Present

Latovlevic (Steaua, 23)
Sepsi (Timisoara, 23)
Pulhac (Hercules, 24)
S. Ilie( Otelul, 22)

Future

-

Defensive midfielder

Present

Bicfalvi (Steaua, 22)
Neagu (Otelul, 21)
Olariu (Victoria, 22)

Future

Ologu (Craiova, 20)
Achim (Ceahlaul, 20)

Central off. midfielder:

Radut (Steaua, 20)
Ionescu (Steaua, 21)
D. Popa (Victoria, 21)

Future:

Cosmin Matei (Steaua, 19)
Stanescu (Dinamo,17)

Side midfielder/ winger

Present:

Deac (Schalke, 24)
Tanase (Steaua, 23)
Torje (Dinamo, 21)
Alexe (Dinamo, 20)
Nicoara (Victoria, 23)
Parvulescu (Gaz Metan, 21)
Gangioveanu (Craiova, 21)
Antal (Otelul, 21)
Hora (CFR, 22)
Firtulescu (Craiova, 21)
Doman (..., 21)
Chipciu (Brasov, 21)

Future:

Toba (U Cluj, 20)
Grozav (Standard, 19)
Fl. Matei (Unirea, 17)
Carstocea (Viitorul, 18)
Stoian (Roma, 19)
Stanciu (Alba Iulia/Stuttgart, 17)

Fowards

Stancu (Steaua, 23)
Sburlea (Rapid, 21)
Ganea (Dinamo, 21)
Ionita (Koln, 20)
M. Costea (Craiova, 22)

Future

Alibec (Inter, 19)
Fabian Himcinschi (Alba Iulia, 16)
Roman (Craiova, 18)

From the list is already clear what positions are more weak both currently and in projection. I included 24 year old players as a limit.

·
Registered
23,432 Posts
amazing idea ;)

I still rate Sanmartean as the technically best player in Liga1 and I'd say that he's one of them who could easily perform on a much higher level as well (unlike Zicu for example)

Adi Cristea is a level below the other creative guys you mentioned simply because he has no real fantasy in his game. He's an attacking midfielder who doesn't attack too much and he rarely delivers excellent passes or mistimes them. What makes him a valuable player is the mere fact that he's good on his legs, technical and possesses a really good shot technique as well. I personally think that he'll never make it at a much higher level than Dinamo just because he doesn't work hard enough and doesn't intend to either.

·
Registered
23,432 Posts
regarding your prospects:

you could add:

Keepers:

Niculescu, 23 (Sportul) and Balgradean, 22 (UU)

Left Backs:

Grecu, 22 (Pandurii), Tosca, 18 (UU),

·
Registered
69,554 Posts
Keepers

Tatarusanu:

Best features: Reflexes; able to make incredible saves. Personality.

Worst features: Air balls. Something weird considering his height.

Future: Conditions to be the number 1 in Romania.

Pantilimon:

BF: Height and positioning. His size impresses the attackers.

WF: Slow when he comes out of the goal. Silly mistakes from time to time.

Future: He looks the Lobont successor in the NT for now. With more experience he can sign for a good team.

Silviu Lung junior:

BF: Probably the most talented of all. Agility. Reflexes.

WF: Reserve status at his club. A keeper needs regularity.

Future: Brilliant if he plays again and doesn´t choke.

I read good things about Bucuroiu and Moldovan, but I've never seen them.

·
Registered
23,432 Posts
1) Tatarusanu did improve in the air though imo... he was very safe this season so far and made little mistakes. he also got surprisingly good in 1 on 1s

2) Agreed

3) The problem could become an ace for Lung Jr because Stanca is the ideal player to learn from to eliminate his weaknesses. Lung Jr. is the least vocal and involved keeper in Liga1 I think and has no authority at all. Stanca excells in this and this could be a good influence on Lung Jr.

·
Registered
16,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, good start. 1 year ago the keeper position was a big problem, Coman starting for the NT and raising enormous doubts. But Pantilimon and Tata have grown enormously. Panti has had 2 excellent games with the NT, showing an unusual confidence for a young keeper. While Tata´s performances for Steaua in Europe have been amazing and his NT debut was excellent too. Both have grown much more than we could expect. Therefore, i expect them to be playing in stronger leagues soon.

Lung has all the chances to become excellent too.

Tatarusanu:

Best features: Reflexes; able to make incredible saves. Personality.

Worst features: Air balls. Something weird considering his height.

Future: Conditions to be the number 1 in Romania.

I agree. If he improves in the air i see him in a big club.

Pantilimon:

BF: Height and positioning. His size impresses the attackers.

WF: Slow when he comes out of the goal. Silly mistakes from time to time.

Future: He looks the Lobont successor in the NT for now. With more experience he can sign for a good team.

He sometimes looks lost and his size goes against him. I think he has more to learn

Silviu Lung junior:

BF: Probably the most talented of all. Agility. Reflexes.

WF: Reserve status at his club. A keeper needs regularity.

Future: Brilliant if he plays again and doesn´t choke.

Agreed. I didn´t know what PMC said about him, but certainly he can grow there. Lung remains the one with the biggest future ahead.

·
Registered
16,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
regarding your prospects:

you could add:

Keepers:

Niculescu, 23 (Sportul) and Balgradean, 22 (UU)

Left Backs:

Grecu, 22 (Pandurii), Tosca, 18 (UU),
Edit the list and add them. You know them better than me.
Niculescu seems short, and you really have to be amazing to overcome that problem as a keeper. He´s not that young either, but as a keeper that may not be serious

·
Registered
69,554 Posts
Right backs

Rapa:

Best features: Disciplined and good tactically. Decent defender. Progressed a lot in the last year.

Worst features: Not especially good with the ball. Physically not at the level of European exigence.

Future: I don´t get why the press call him the 'new Petrescu' when his style is different. He still has room for improvement.

Matel:

Best features: Great touch of the ball. Good with ball. He can play as RM.

Worst features: Still doubtful in his defensive abilities. Not great physically.

Future: Interesting player that can develope into a good player. He reminds a lot of Florentin Dumitru.

Barboianu:

BF: He can adapt to LB, where he plays lately. Balanced player that knows how to defend and sometimes attacks by surprise. Fighting spirit.

WF: He's not a wonder but has no clear weaknesses. Maybe he's impulsive/agressive in excess in some moments. Lack of concentration in other moments.

Future: Typical useful player that won´t be a starter in the NT but can be used in emergencies.

We still have Sapunaru and Dananae there, but it wouldn´t be bad if a couple of young players more appear in this position.

·
Registered
23,432 Posts
Agreed. I didn´t know what PMC said about him, but certainly he can grow there. Lung remains the one with the biggest future ahead.
Being an Ex-Keeper it's something that stuck out to me. I think that Lung Jr. barely communicates with his defenders and couldn't lead the backline so far. Opposite examples would be Stanca, Coman, Lobi (at Dinamo) or Bornescu especially. Another factor is the problem that Lung Jr is a classic keeper where as someone like Stanca could play as "sweeper" which is especially important for a team that defends high up the pitch. You'll just not see Lung Jr. come outside of his box for example.

Edit the list and add them. You know them better than me.
Niculescu seems short, and you really have to be amazing to overcome that problem as a keeper. He´s not that young either, but as a keeper that may not be serious
You're right about Niculescu's height but he's still young and plays regularly for a Liga1 team afterall. He's not going to be a big name but he reminds me alot of Coman actually.

Right backs

Rapa:

Matel:

Barboianu:
Out of these 3 players I must say I rate Matel the most right now. He's a really good crosser and setpiece taker as well and was captaining Farul last season in Liga2 (even in Liga1 when they relegated). Only Astra Ploiesti's anonimity speaks against him right now.

oh there's Cojoc around as well by the way

·
Registered
16,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Out of these 3 players I must say I rate Matel the most right now. He's a really good crosser and setpiece taker as well and was captaining Farul last season in Liga2 (even in Liga1 when they relegated). Only Astra Ploiesti's anonimity speaks against him right now.

oh there's Cojoc around as well by the way
Strangely Matel doesn´t always start for Astra right?
There are a lot of transfer rumours around Gabi Matei lately, anyone paid attention to him?

·
Registered
23,432 Posts
Strangely Matel doesn´t always start for Astra right?
There are a lot of transfer rumours around Gabi Matei lately, anyone paid attention to him?
well... the situation at Astra is kinda weird and maybe they're too nervous with their youth players... Stan wasn't used either lately and Vadrariu got loaned out :wallbang:

Matei is a decent right back but he's not "oustanding" in any way. I'd say robust but average, no outstanding performances but nothing terrible either.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Great thread guys! The future looks way more promising now then it did a few years ago. We've improved alot in areas where we lacked before.

Anyone know why Daminuta didn't play for U21 team at all?

·
Registered
16,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We have to point out that some of these young players are already known for their problems outside the pitch or their bad attitude inside it. Or at least there have been rumours about them. Namely:

S. Radu, Tanase, Daminuta, Cosmin Matei, Doman, Antal, Ionescu, Stoian, Alibec and M. Costea.

But there are also many known for their professionalism and excellent attitude such as Gardos, Tata, Deac, Torje, Stancu, Rapa or Lung

·
Registered
23,432 Posts
Gabriel Torje (77)

BF: Speed, Agility, Determination, good crossing and reaction

WF: Kind of small, technically kind of limited

What went wrong: Nothing yet really... so far he's been doing great

Present: He's having a real good season finally and has become one of the most important players of Dinamo despite his age.

Future: Difficult to predict, I think that he could become a valuable player for a midtable team in a bigger league if he continues like this.

Bogdan Stancu (81)

BF: Fast, intelligent, clinical infront of the goal and pretty technical, potential to become a fairly "complete" player
WB: He sometimes disappears too much and lacks a bit of vision as a supporting striker. He might be fairly limited positionally as he only seems to perform well when he's given a rather "free role".

Past: Hailed as talented but didn't impress me in the years prior to this one

Present: The best striker in Romania currently and most important player of Steaua

Future: Pretty much unknown, I don't think he'll ever play for a team like Real Madrid or Chelsea but he could make it to a big team like Valencia etc.

·
Registered
16,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree too, only that i could see Torje higher than you do. Even when he is clearly not a Messi type of player, his shooting could make him score much more in the future, and he´s becomig more dangerous in front of goal too and with counters. Just having turned 21 he could explode and become a player that scores 15-20 goals a season. He´s been only coached by mediocre guys so far and therefore he is underdeveloped IMO

·
Registered
16,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BTW this round Chipciu and Antal were MoM. Chipciu showed a shocking amount of coolness and quality finishing with that chip after such a run.
Antal got a penalty, scored it and assisted the other goal

·
Registered
23,432 Posts
I agree too, only that i could see Torje higher than you do. Even when he is clearly not a Messi type of player, his shooting could make him score much more in the future, and he´s becomig more dangerous in front of goal too and with counters. Just having turned 21 he could explode and become a player that scores 15-20 goals a season. He´s been only coached by mediocre guys so far and therefore he is underdeveloped IMO
I'd be surprised already if he managed to deliver 10 assists & 10 goals this season tbh. Actually this would be a fine rate for a player like him.

BTW this round Chipciu and Antal were MoM. Chipciu showed a shocking amount of coolness and quality finishing with that chip after such a run.
Antal got a penalty, scored it and assisted the other goal
Chipciu imo runs circles around Roman already... it's almost sick to think that this guy didn't get any chances last season considering his potential. Antal is a player I like but imo he's in danger of becoming a Nicolita :undecide:

1 - 20 of 216 Posts