Xtratime Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past 48 hours the football world has gone upside down, the truth is the unbelievable debacle of teams of the caliber of France and Argentina was begun before this world cup even started. To better understand this let's look at the story of "super team" and "courageuos little lot":

1. First you have the typical overwhhelming pressure instiled by the media and experts on the game, who point out "super" team as supreme favorites to win the tournament, as in another level above the rest. This having been said the fans and rest of the the media assume that this team is infallible, they shouldn't even be getting scored on, and they should breeze their way through the amateur crowds.

2. As the begining of the tournament arrives, little casual, freakish accidents or bloopers occur that kind of poke on the "super" team's confidence. Let's say an injury, a loss or tie against a useless second division team, etc.

3. The day arrives, all the world is watching as "super team" is about to begin it's glorious quest for the world cup. Oblviously the opposing team is seen by the rest of the world as not even worthy of stepping the same soil as "super team". The match begins and, well in order for the tragic formula to succeed you need a team bold enough to attack and play from the start agains the greatest of them all, instead of fearing them:eek: . Well, "ST" thinks, what a courageous little lot, we thought they would be more careful, lets play the ball around, were in no hurry to trounce all over this team.
HA!: surprise, surprise, all of the sudden the courageous little lot scores!!:dazed: :dazed: . WHAT?! this ain't right, says "ST", what will people think, we have to go all out and tie this mo fo right away! 'cause we're super team.

4. And so Super team stopps thinking with it's brilliant minds and starts hurrying everything they do. In the meantime all "courageous litle lot" can do is stay in the back with 10 men and fend the result. And ST tries, and tries, hits the post, hits the legs of opposing players, and each knock that fails to go in is a knock on their self esteem, and then tragedy strikes: after minutes of attacking in vain there's a slip up, CLL picks up the ball runs effortlesly towards the unprepared defense and scores. WOW:depress:

5. The first match is over, humilating defeat of the team who was supposed to be unbeatable, and now they must prove their true worth against their next opponents. Same pressure, same desprate ST tactic, same courageous little lot fighting disrespectfully from the back.

6. In the end media and CLL extreme counterstrike tactics bring to an end the dream of a ST before they even got started.

Today I have mixed feelings, I am very sad for France and Argentina, and Portugal almost went in the same direction (and still could along with Italy). They are undoubtley great teams with extraordinary players and it's a shame they couldn't show it. The Senegals and Sweeden type teams don't honestly play the most attractive football and maybe they were a bit unfair in being so harsh on defense, but who can blame them, nobody wants to loose. At the same time it's great to think that nowadays anyone can win this cup. What do you think?:) :( ;)

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Good analysis Emiliano. :) :cool: Bull's eye.

I feel sorry for France and Argentina. But thats all, I am not devastated or furious. I mean Ok we would have had a treat of better football from these teams in the later stages had they proceeded. But they have not, and it was all their fault.

By saying this I would also have felt sorry if my favourite team, (brazil & Italy) had they been eliminated in a similiar fashion. No, I would have felt more than sorry but not devastated.

Whatever has happened, has thrown the WC wide open. And I am thankful to Lady Luck for happening so. No I hadn't put money on these teams losing. But look at the brighter side. Haven't u got tired of same teams getting the Cup all the time. I am. Would love to see some team who has not previously lifted the WC, get it.
:)

Thats what makes football so interesting. The Enigma, The unpredictability..... By saying so I don't mean that I would like my team to lose it, But if they do I wouldn't be devastated.

Well life goes on. Saviour the enigma of WC.

One thing I must admit is that, My quota of surprises which I can digest is almost on the brink.

Bye

·
Registered
765 Posts
milano77 said:
Would love to see some team who has not previously lifted the WC, get it.
:)

Thats what makes football so interesting. The Enigma, The unpredictability..... By saying so I don't mean that I would like my team to lose it, But if they do I wouldn't be devastated.

Well life goes on. Saviour the enigma of WC.

Bye
Yeah I'd love to see a team that hasn't won the WC win it too.
So my hope would be beside Denmark ofcourse (though I simply don't see it happen).... SPAIN! Best league in the world, I think - definately the most entertaining one! Time for some success for the Spanish NT.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts