Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damià Abellà played in Valencia C (Tercera Division) 2 years ago. Next weekend, he's going to play against the "Ché" team with the Barça shirt.

"One year and a half ago, I was there and it seemed unreachable to play in the first team, and now I'm playing with Barcelona. Because of this, this is another match in the sport level, but it will be a special match in the emotional level".

Damià arrived to Valencia in December 2002 and he played there for 6 months. It was such a short time that he has problems recognizing himself with the Valencia shirt. "I recognize myself, but it still surprises me, I see it and I don't believe it. It's going to be strange to play in Mestalla, if I play".

He left Valencia in the summer of 2003 because he had no future. "We did a poor season with Valencia C and we saved our cathegory in the last match. Only 3 of the ones that played in that team continued and I went to Valencia B. There Voro (one of the Valencia's coaches) told me that he saw me as playmaker and I had Gavilán, now in Tenerife (Segunda), Redondo, now in Albacete, and Sissoko, who was going to play in the B team, over me. At that moment, I thought that it wasn't worth to continue there. The best for me was to study in INEF (sport education) in Catalunya. And look what happened, after 2 weeks in Figueres (Tercera), Redondo went to Albacete and Sissoko to the A team. At this point, I had doubts: retire or not".

The player had doubts about his career: "I thought about leaving football because I didn't have finished with the studies and I thought that playing in small teams of Catalunya was worthless for me. In Valencia, my girlfriend was far from me, I had to change the university and I could not continue there. Although I could have played in the C and the B team, I'm not one of those who care about nothing. Fortunately, Judit, my girlfriend, told me to continue in Figueres, playing in Tercera Division, and now I'm here. I owe a lot to Judit".

When he was in Valencia, he was friend of David Navarro and Carlos Marchena, and he doesn't forget a "lesson" by "grandpa" Carboni: "We were playing a training match with the A team and he constantly stoped our right wing, a friend of mine, and he explained to me how I had to face the wings to stop them. And he did it several times. It was a surprise to me how a player, who has done everything in his life, lost his time with a young player. I'm thankful to him".

In Valencia, people says that García Pitarch (ex Sport director) was the one who did not trust in Damià and now he's being criticized for this. "Possibly, he didn't trust in me. But they signed me to play in the wing and they finally put me in the center... very strange". Now he plays in Barça and no one doubts about his class.

http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/20041216/NOTICIA186767669.html

·
1st Tier Poster
49,958 Posts
His story shows how small is the difference between being a total nobody and a first-team player in one of the greatest clubs in the world.

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Andy Christ said:
His story shows how small is the difference between being a total nobody and a first-team player in one of the greatest clubs in the world.
Yes... life can change in few months. He was forgotten in Valencia, he played in Tercera Division last season (which is the 4th cathegory of the Spanish football, under Primera, Segunda and Segunda Division B)... even when he signed for Barça, he was supposed to be the replacement for the right wing in the B team... then he trained with the A team, Rijkaard put him in the right back and he made his debut in San Mamés in Liga and his debut in the Camp Nou against Real Madrid... unbelievable.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Koeman4 said:
Yes... life can change in few months. He was forgotten in Valencia, he played in Tercera Division last season (which is the 4th cathegory of the Spanish football, under Primera, Segunda and Segunda Division B)... even when he signed for Barça, he was supposed to be the replacement for the right wing in the B team... then he trained with the A team, Rijkaard put him in the right back and he made his debut in San Mamés in Liga and his debut in the Camp Nou against Real Madrid... unbelievable.
Wow that's impressive,in my mind that's not "possible" :star:

·
Boti Boti Boti
10,303 Posts
I think that from what we have seen so far from Damia (his pace and skill), he is definitey way beyond Tercera level. I don't know how those coaches at Valencia couldn't even see potential, unless he improved exponentially in the last 18 months. But anyways, I guess their loss is Barça's gain. For me, he was excellent in Barça's last game (possible Man of the Match), and he shows a great attitude, which you can tell he's just happy to be on the field with the senior players. Players in that situation know that they have to keep working hard to stay where they are and get better, which can only be good for the overall strength of the team...

·
Defunk'ed
7,869 Posts
Sorry for going totally offtopic with this request, but can anyone tell me what American city falls under the ET time standard ? Sorry again, but just need this real quick. Thanks.

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Barcawinner said:
He's also pretty tall isn't he?
Yes, a lot. It's not usual to see side backs so tall, but he's not slow or clumsy, his technic is quite good.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Its a shame hes not better in the air with all that height as its definately something we could use, getting a Chelsea for example in the CL on Terry.

Can still be worked on however as hes young.

·
Boti Boti Boti
10,303 Posts
husain_14 said:
Sorry for going totally offtopic with this request, but can anyone tell me what American city falls under the ET time standard ? Sorry again, but just need this real quick. Thanks.

ET= Eastern standard time. So that's any city on or near the East Coast New York, Flrorida, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh etc... In Canada Toronto, Montreal etc... (but not the Canadian East Coat)

·
Registered
841 Posts
That's an amazing story. I still not fully convinced with Damià though. Sure, he played some nice games and is a good backup, but I think he needs more time to judge. He is still inexperienced which could show at higher levels but I remember in the Super Classico he stopped Figo well one time. But can he do that the whole game?

Still, he has surprised me so far. Last season I was not convinced at the start with Luis Garcia and then he changed my mind, so you never know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts