Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alot of people do not understand that no days its impossible to win it all, you see in the last couple of years clubs that werent even close to first place(except Porto) have made it and lifted the CL title. Nowdays it seems that teams who go out and win their respective leages find it harder to win the CL, simply because they go out to win too many things ,look at the current leaders in most European leages

Italy-Juve OUT
England-Chelsea OUT
France-Lyon OUT
Germany-Bayern OUT
Holland-PSV OUT
Portugal-Sporting wasnt even in the CL this year.(thus their players have more energy and are leading in Portugal.)
only Barca are an exception and thats mainly because there has to be at least one leader that somehow makes it to the semi's.
Last couple of finals have been
Liverpool(5th in the leage)-Milan(2nd)
Porto(a real exception mainly because Portugal leage wasnt that competitive 1st)-Monaco(I think they finnished 2nd or 3rd that year)
Juve-Milan was the last final that was made up of big favorites and it was a poop final.

Now days we see that teams that focus on winning all actually find it hard to do so, look at Bayer the perfect example of this they were going out for 3 medals in 01/02 yet they lost all within weeks. This year there is not one team that is close to winning a treble in the CL ,AC Milan perhaps being the closes if they can close the gap on Juve. Yet Milan's form is further prove that this is imposible ,even the high flying Barca went out of their cup.
Now days a team focuses on one big goal either a leage or a cup competion, Liverpool last year, and now Arsenal this year are both teams that had a chance for the CL qualification through winning the CL trophy. We might ask our selfs this question in an age when teams are batling on all fronts will there be actually another Super treble?
Or has the current way the CL is played and the fact that the big clubs find it hard to find the right balance between the CL and their domestic leages made the CL a cup that is full of the small flukes or suprises?

Simply put there is a huge amounth of energy a squad puts while fighting in the CL ,look at Betis ,Celta ,Udine ,Newcastle for just some example how playing in the CL leads to poor leage form. Even squads like Barca/Juve/Chelsea/Bayern/Lyon cannot do so because of the psycological pressure that is put on them to win everything. There is no day off everygame you have to win etc. So even if you have a squad of 22 really good players at some point you hit an dry patch, and the form of the team drops.
There will be a period of time when I think there will be no team that will be able to win the Super Treble ,mainly because the fact that the CL format has changed. The fact that there is only one group stage means that there are far more really important matches ,the fact that the CL is made up of at least 4 teams from each of the 3 big leages also means that leage leaders face the chance of meating about 12 teams who are able to beat them .Let alone another 20 or so clubs in Europe who are also good enough to cause an upsad.
So I ask you this is the total domination of one team posible ever again?Even for one year I think it has become increasingly hard to do so, if it does happen it will be down to chance rather then consistency.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Mind you Porto won the league against strong opposition. Benfica, Sporting and Boavista were still playing good football, Porto just was a team perfectly put together lead by a great manager and a number of very talented players. Many of their players were hitting their prime in those 2 to 3 years of success.

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
O Glorioso said:
Mind you Porto won the league against strong opposition. Benfica, Sporting and Boavista were still playing good football, Porto just was a team perfectly put together lead by a great manager and a number of very talented players. Many of their players were hitting their prime in those 2 to 3 years of success.
Yes but its not like they won a big treble and as I have said although Portugal has a strong leage that year Porto was pretty much run away leaders for most of the time.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
The thing is, teams that lead the league at this stage, especially the ones by a long distance would have needed to play very well and in top form for 6/7 months. Now they will be tired both physically and mentally. Juve being out can be good for Italy as it rests some of our star players for the WC.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Deano said:
The thing is, teams that lead the league at this stage, especially the ones by a long distance would have needed to play very well and in top form for 6/7 months. Now they will be tired both physically and mentally. Juve being out can be good for Italy as it rests some of our star players for the WC.
Juve is good enough for Serie A but not good enough for the CL and the same thing goes for Chelsea...much ado about nothing

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Deo said:
This is why lagues should be cut to 16 teams.
Or the number of teams enter CL cut down. Seriously though, the teams left in the champions league all have to deal with an overloaded schedule. One thing i would maybe adjust is the suspensions. I think there should be a wash somewhere earlier because a lot of key players have missed and that's a shame.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
dont the g 14 teams want to group stages back?, i wouldnt mind that to be honest, only because i'd get to see more football though.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
For any team to win THE treble, you need a lot of factors to go your way. It doesn't look likely for any team, because it requires a big squad with lots of quality, plenty of luck, no or few injuries, and all kinds of other things.

Doesn't mean you can't try though. :D

·
Registered
23,264 Posts
CarlosMiguel said:
Or the number of teams enter CL cut down. Seriously though, the teams left in the champions league all have to deal with an overloaded schedule. One thing i would maybe adjust is the suspensions. I think there should be a wash somewhere earlier because a lot of key players have missed and that's a shame.
No, cut the league, the CL is too importiant, too competive, but the liga is not as interesting as the CL sometimes.

What i mean is that i rather watch Barca-Arsenal than Barca-Espanyol or something like that.

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
I can't draw conclusions from comparing a tournament that rewards consistency, like the league's champinionships and one that is a knock-out competition that rewards form and luck at any given time of the year like the Champions league.

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Personally although luck is involved when it was the time of the BIG clubs I always found that in order for them to not get to a final they would have to be unlucky rather then lucky.
But I personnally think that leages ,CL and cups have become alot harder to win in the last 10 years. The smaller teams are usally really well prepared and if they have a coach who plays correctly and exposes the few weaknesses big teams have suprises happen. Zaragosa are a perfect example they raped Barca and Real exposing the weakness that both of this big clubs posses and that is counter attacking football. Wigan in England played a hard phisical game and were able to reach a final. While in France chance wasnt on Lyon's side while they lost on penilties against a team like Nantes.
In the past big teams really had the aura of invinsibles when it came to matches like this, sure they were able to lose to their rivals but it was far more unlikely for them to lose to a team from the bottom of the berral.

·
Registered
505 Posts
True, it seems like nowadays there is got to be a priority.
Hopefully the 2nd round group stages will be brought back...more matches and less mental strain for the players.

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea but the secound round group phases basicly ment that big G14 teams will find a way to progress just through bigger capacity, also matches will become far less competitive.

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bump :)

Inter-Out
Lyon-Out
MU-Out
Barca-Out

etc

1 - 17 of 17 Posts