Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
First Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sick and tired of seeing Stankovic rot away on the left wing. SGE played him there, Zoff played him there, Zac played him there but Stankovic always put in his best performaces from the middle of the park or even on the right ...never as a left winger ....Deki isn't a winger for christ sakes.

When a young Stankovic was trying to break into the Lazio first team he was up against the likes Simeone, Veron, Almeyda and Nedved - all in their prime and far more experienced. SGE therefore played him as left winger, with limited success - now Mancio is playing him out wide a regular basis when infact he is a natural central midfielder.

Deki's only saving grace is that he is a very technically sound and well rounded player so he does OK out wide, but he'll never play his best out there, he's an average winger.

If you watch Deki play since his drop in form you'll notice he always get the ball way outwide, a inch from the sidelines and is almost always double teamed - Then, the only player open is Favalli. Favalli has about as much attacking creativity as the San Marino National Team , so in short Deki is screwed. Even so he almost never losses the ball and always makes a decent pass.

Deki really excells in the middle of park and when he was scoring goals for us that is where they all came from. I still think Stankovic has the best shot on our team, he just never has a chance to show it anymore. He never get the ball in a dangerous position at the edge of the area.

Anyway, he really needs to play in the middle and not on the left wing with Favalli. It's a total waste playing Stankovic out there.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
98% agreed, Roman, even on Lazio his best days were on season 03/04 when he played on the center with Gianichedda, with Cesar on the left and Fiore on the right. I just disagree with you when you say he rarely misses a pass, he has a good pass, but sometimes he tries to do complicated things and ends up giving the possession to the opponent very easily.

Since there's no room for him in the middle with the two DM's tactics, he should be benched. Kily and even Emre are better options to play on the left-wing. Mancio could also change his tactics to play 4-3-1-2 with Recoba, Martins and Adriano upfront. But no, he won't leave his beloved 4-4-2, and if he does, he'll go back to it after one game, like he did when Inter played like crap against Chievo. Like Inter never plays badly in 4-4-2....

·
Registered
40,685 Posts
Excellent post Roman2k, you're somewhat of an expert of Serbian players in Serie A I've noticed. :thumbsup:

Deki can be considered a 2 way midfielder, so no matter what, he's suited best for the middle. A slightly more attacking role works to his benefit since Deki has solid scoring capabilities (both feet and head) and as you already said, a good long shot. He can play on the wings as long as this is a 4-4-2 that doesn't require real wingers, but indeed you'll never get the best of him in these positions.

If I'm correct, Deki played behind the strikers a couple of times at the start of the season, and surprise, surprise, those were also his best performances all season.

I realise Mancio has to please a lot of different players, but he's not helping his team by putting Deki on the left. So once again, great post man.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
SGE played him on the right only, and he sucked there. He was young though.....

He become a revelation when he shared left with cesar or when played central.

·
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drulo said:
Excellent post Roman2k, you're somewhat of an expert of Serbian players in Serie A I've noticed. :thumbsup:
I'm an expert of all players in Serie A ;) Honestly though, I've always liked Lazio and followed them very closely. Looks like Jugovic there in your Avatar - another player I respect greatly. He was maestro with Juve, Lazio and Inter ..great player :thumbsup:

·
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Roberto - With Lazio Deki did tend to lose the ball more but watching him this season he is much more percise. He takes one or two touches on the ball and passes right away. I agree 100% on playing Kily or a more sutible left winger if Mancini is going to stick with his beloved 4-4-2.

My football philosophy has always been to play to your strengths ...and with Inter's surplus of quality central midfielders I would really like to see a 4-3-1-2 as you suggested - Zanetti is good enough to cover the whole right side, we just need a left sided player that can do the same.

·
Registered
25,267 Posts
He simply hasn't the speed for playing on the left but he has still been ok, and that is a great testament to his versatility as a player.
Is it necessary to play with 2 defensive midfielders? I mean there are not a lot of sides that do but I suppose with Inter's defence it is needed.
The link up play between Adriano and Deki is very good, they have a great understanding, and so if Deki was playing in the hole, he'd be very dangerous, he is a very good finisher and would come up with the goals, he had a lot of goals at the start of the season when he was playing like this.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Roman2k said:
Roberto - With Lazio Deki did tend to lose the ball more but watching him this season he is much more percise. He takes one or two touches on the ball and passes right away. I agree 100% on playing Kily or a more sutible left winger if Mancini is going to stick with his beloved 4-4-2.

My football philosophy has always been to play to your strengths ...and with Inter's surplus of quality central midfielders I would really like to see a 4-3-1-2 as you suggested - Zanetti is good enough to cover the whole right side, we just need a left sided player that can do the same.
The thing is, Deki sometimes tries to give sequence to the play faster than he needs. He can't hold the ball for two seconds and wait for someone to make a run, he almost always tries to play first touch and even though this gives speed to the play, sometimes it's not the best idea. And this way, he ends up missing a lot of passes, even more he missed at Lazio IMO, cuz in Lazio he played more as a central midfielder where he didn't have as much pressure from the opponents as he has playing as left-winger or as a trequartista.

About Inter playing in 4-3-1-2, I don't know if it would be the best to have a left side-back to cover the whole left side like J. Zanetti does. Because this way, both would have to attack at the same time to make wing plays and the defense would be very, very exposed. In 4-3-1-2 the best idea IMO is play with a winger in just one side, and on the other side you need to have a more offensive side back to compensate. Like Juvi used to have with Zambrotta as a left-back and Camo on the right, or Milan today with Seedorf on the left and Cafu on the right. Kaladze defends more and Gattuso too, so they make the team balanced.

Dusan_UK said:
Is it necessary to play with 2 defensive midfielders? I mean there are not a lot of sides that do but I suppose with Inter's defence it is needed.
No, it's not. Just look at Barça, or Milan. You can call Pirlo and Xavi DMs because they are really positioned as that, but they are there for their offensive quality. Inter could do that to, maybe even playing Veron as an anchorman, but with one tie Mancini will change the formation and everyone is gonna say it didn't work, they feel more safe when two DMs are played and even if the team loses or plays like shit this way like they did several time, they give sequence to make it work.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Excellent post Roman.

Completely agreee with what you said.

I think Deki should earn his spot in the middle. We have better players on the wings in Kily and Emre.

If Mancini gives him a chance in the middle of the park alongside Cambiasso, we could even have ourselves a better pair than the current Cambiasso-CZ one.

·
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Take your pick ....

4-3-1-2 should look like this ...obviously CZ and Camb help with defensive duties on their respective wings.

---------------------------Toldo
-
-----J. Zanetti -----Cordoba ----- Mihajlovic ---- Favalli
-
----------C.Zanetti ------Stankovic -------Cambiasso
-
---------------------------Veron
-
---------------------Adriano ----Martins

If Mancini insists on playing a 4-4-2 this should be his line-up. Veron is a better player then VDM but VDM is a true winger....Seba's best days were at Lazio in a central free role next to Simeone - spraying around passes, setting the tempo of the match and supporting the attack.

----------------------------Toldo
-
-----J. Zanetti -----Cordoda ----- Mihajlovic ---- Favalli
-
------------------C.Zanetti ------Cambiasso
-
-----Van der Meyde----------------------------Kily Gonzalez
-

Depending on form, injuries etc - Emre, Recoba, Davids, Matrix, Vieri could all potentially be starters with either formation.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Roman2k said:
Take your pick ....

4-3-1-2 should look like this ...obviously CZ and Camb help with defensive duties on their respective wings.

---------------------------Toldo
-
-----J. Zanetti -----Cordoba ----- Mihajlovic ---- Favalli
-
----------C.Zanetti ------Stankovic -------Cambiasso
-
---------------------------Veron
-
Hmmm....I don't like the idea of a 4-3-1-2 with the DMs on the sides, and Stankovic, the guy who is supposed to make runs on the center. Also, Veron proved several times he's not a trequartista.

This would be my 4-3-1-2:

------------------------Toldo------------------------
--JZ-----------Cordoba------Matrix-------------Coco----
----------------------Cambiasso-------------------------
-------Veron------------------------------Davids----------
-------------------------------Recoba-----------------------
--------------------Martins---Adriano-------------------------

This way, you have two DMs to give more freedom to the three attackers. Veron helping on the center/right, and Davids and Recoba helping Coco on the left.

If Mancini insists on playing a 4-4-2 this should be his line-up. Veron is a better player then VDM but VDM is a true winger....Seba's best days were at Lazio in a central free role next to Simeone - spraying around passes, setting the tempo of the match and supporting the attack.

----------------------------Toldo
-
-----J. Zanetti -----Cordoda ----- Mihajlovic ---- Favalli
-
------------------C.Zanetti ------Cambiasso
-
-----Van der Meyde----------------------------Kily Gonzalez
-

Depending on form, injuries etc - Emre, Recoba, Davids, Matrix, Vieri could all potentially be starters with either formation.
I agree about the first part about Veron, the guy is not a winger. But even out of the position, he has been the most creative player the team has. You don't need to have two wingers on 4-4-2, as long as you have one side-back with offensive skills on the side of the player who is not a winger, like JZ is.

I like this 4-4-2:

----------------------------Toldo-------------------------
---JZ---------------Cordoba------Matrix----------Coco-----
--------Veron-------Cambiasso------Davids----Kily----------
------------------Martins-------Adriano---------------------

But the best 4-4-2 IMO would be this, it was Mancio's original idea but people blamed Davids and Veron for the goals allowed, even if they did their job right and the goals came from set pieces or individual mistakes from the defenders...also, VDM is out of form:

----------------------------Toldo-------------------------
---JZ---------------Cordoba------Matrix----------Coco-----
-----VDM------------Veron------Davids----------Kily----------
------------------Martins-------Adriano---------------------

·
Registered
390 Posts
yo razman jus curious who r the people on your avatar? and is the dude on the right wearin a brasil shirt?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
uDuD said:
yo razman jus curious who r the people on your avatar? and is the dude on the right wearin a brasil shirt?
that's Vieri holding JZ when Inter knocked out from CL againts Milan in semifinal stage

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Apparently.. Stankovic was made the 3rd Striker. Someone that pops up around that corner area.

Mancio at the beginning tried Veron-Davids centre mids... they failed to live up expectations. Thereafter Cambiasso solidified his position. Having tried out more combinations with Cambi. It looked like the Draws.. the Xs made Mancio to be more careful and used CZ with him.

Veron was also in the same situatiion. Agree with you that Stankovic shld be playing that Ballack-Lampard Type of role. I think he has better abilities than them.. in terms of vision, taking on defenders. But not the power-range-shots.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Stankovic needs to be more central, no doubt about that. at lazio, he was probably one of, if not, the best midfielder going around in a certain period of the season.

for me, i dont understand why Veron isnt being used behind the strikers. He should be in the hole allwoing him to do what he does best, which is pass. Stankovic would be good on the right side of a 3 man midfield. JZ at right back can take the whole wing allowing stankovic to at least play more centrally.

Then if you have davids and maybe Emre, or more defensively you can play cambiasso or CZ.

my team would be as such.

-------------toldo

JZ----cordoba---matrix----coco

-stankovic--cambiasso--davids

------------veron

-------adriano-----martins

If coco would get back to his best, having him and JZ taking the whole wings would allow the team to work great.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
no matrix...i'd rather see miha...

·
U get what U give
8,784 Posts
and suddenly we are all turns into Inter coachs!! :D
ok.. this is my best formation with the subs:

-----------------------Toldo----------------------

JZ-------------Cordoba-----Miha(Matrix)--------Coco

----------------Cambiasso------CZ----------------
-----Veron(stanko)------------Davids(Karagouna)--

---------------------------Recoba-----------------
----------------Adriano(Oba)-----------------------

I`ve won all the trophies with this formation in the last 2 years!! (PS2 :D)

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
rascar capac said:
that's Vieri holding JZ when Inter knocked out from CL againts Milan in semifinal stage
Exactly. The yellow shirt was one of Inter's training shirts back then.

:depress:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts