Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or have Germany and Turkey had ridiculous routes to the semi-finals, and any other WC would not have got this far?

Turkey is the only 1 of them to have faced a top nation, and they got beat ( in their opening game). It just seems to have been a bit bizarre that Germany and Turkey are in the last 4 without having beaten ANY team ranked in the top 15 of the world. This is obviously not their fault, but in terms of spectacle this world cup has had upsets, some excitement, and poor refereeing decisions but i'm hard pressed to think of more than a couple of world class match-ups and games so far :(

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
We definitely did have relatively easier match ups, but are we to blame for Argetina disastrous play? or France's exit without a single goal?? or England's poor match agasint Brazil? or Portugal's shameful defeats...???

The fact is these teams did not deserve it and we did. Who claims those top teams would have beaten us? We played Brazil in the opneing game and put out a good performance and lost by a made up penalty. We beat and outplayed everybody's favorite Senegal who beat defending world champion France and Sweeden who eliminated Argentina.

Easier matchups can be a factor but doesnt mean it brings the results as clearly seen so far.

I think Turkey deserves much more credit than that.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
like i said the "weakness" of the teams they have faced is obviously not their fault, and they have done what is asked to get to the semis.

I cant comment so much on Turkey, but i've followed the German NT closely since i can remember (largely for their great habit of knocking England out on penalties :D ) and this is the worst team i have ever seen them arrive at a world cup with. With the exception of Ollie Kahn they are just a middle ranking international side, and nowhere near the standard that a 'last 4' side usually is and had they faced tougher competition then i'm sure they would have went out earlier. I just get the impression also that 3 of the 4 semi finalists are 'middle ranking' teams also, who have found themselves in this position as much through good fortune as hard work.

I'm not being anti-Turkish/German/Korean football its just as a neutral i have found the latter stages of this tournament to be a disappointment

ps. of course i'm jealous - i'm jealous of every bloody country that got to wc2002 :(

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
The worst World Cup in the history of the sport. The officiating. The weather. The corruption. Everything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts