Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
www.worldcuparchive.com , official partenr site of the World Cup forum on Xtratime, has predicted Paolo Maldini to life the Jules Rimet Trophy on June 30 in Yokohama.

Italy to win it

June 30th 2002, Paolo Maldini crowns his wonderful career by holding the beautiful FIFA World Cup aloft after winning the final in Yokohama in his last international appearance. Can you imagine this scenario to come true? We at WCA can for sure because we pick Italy as our World Cup winners this summer.

We could easily have picked France or Argentina. Most people would probably stick with one of those instead because they are widely regarded as the hottest favourites with the strongest squads player by player. But favourites seldom win the title and will struggle to do so this year more than ever. Especially because both these teams have a remarkably tougher route to the Yokohama final drawn in the more difficult half of the tournament schedule. Besides, France winning three major tournaments in a row in the most competitive sport in the world borders to unlikely no matter how strong they are. No team has ever accomplished that before.

Argentina are strong enough on paper to win, but Batistuta's generation has always underachieved in World Cups. Moreover, being hyped up as they have been recently is never an advantage. Impressive performances in qualification doesn't guarantee success in the World Cup. Just ask Spain. England might surprise and go far, but winning the whole tournament? Nah. Brazil are always at their best in tournaments and shouldn't be written off, but are no longer the force they were a few years ago. Spain have always been the opposite of Italy: Impressive in qualifications, disappointing in tournaments. Portugal have a knack of doing well in the few tournaments they qualify for and could be a dark horse. Germany then? Nowotny, Ballack, Jancker...naah. Hardly championship winning material. We landed on Italy in the end. There are a lot of factors pointing in direction of success for the Azzurri. Let’s start on the bench.

In Giovanni Trapattoni the Italians have a coach who knows everything about winning. The winning mentality has been in his blood forever and he has experienced success in more or less every club he has been in charge of. His teams have always been solid at the back and Italy this year is no difference. Trapattoni has all the tools he needs in this talented squad to make them champions. He has kept his enthusiasm and developed his views on the game with time and enjoyed success over many years, not only a short spell in one club. Trap may be old, but he is an enormous capacity from the good old Italian school. Players who have struggled to blossom under other national team coaches (i.e. Del Piero) now have success under his guidance. The team couldn't be in better hands.

Italy arrive at the World Cup with a 23-man squad containing equally much strength in attack as everywhere else in the team. This is very rare for Italy. While they in previous World Cups have relied exclusively on rock solid defence, hard working midfield and only one potential matchwinning striker up front with instinct for scoring (Rossi 82, Schillaci 90, Baggio 94), now a number of top names have emerged to give Italy more depth than usual in attack both in the creator role (Totti, Del Piero etc) and as finishers (Vieri, Inzaghi, Montella etc). Most of them seem to be on form at the same time for their clubsides and have had success during the World Cup qualifiers with Trapattoni's playing system.

Italy will land in Asia better equipped than ever up front if these players remain fit. Earlier Italian World Cup editions have had mediocre players like Carnevale, Massaro and Serena as forwards and still achieved a Top 3 position. Now with improved attacking power, Italy will become a major force in the quest for the title. We saw signs at Euro 2000 and that was still with a Francesco Totti under development, a struggling Del Piero and without Christian Vieri.

With Croatia, Ecuador and Mexico in the preliminary group, Italy won't need to fire on all cylinders to go through. They never do anyway. The team is expected to improve for every game in true Italian tradition. Trapattoni’s men have ended up on the easier half of the tournament set-up which means they won’t need to play Argentina, England, France or Brazil until the final no matter if they finish first or second in the opening round.

The bad trend of losing on penalties was broken at the Euro 2000 semifinal against Holland and that is of course mentally important for a team that has been eliminated three World Cups in a row on penalties. Now they have regained confidence from the spot should they be asked to step up again.

There is also an increased hunger for international success after Italian clubs’ failure in European Cups in recent years. Mix this hunger with Italian defensive strength, determination, great traditions and increased firepower up front and you have a perfect recipe to win the World Cup. On paper. We think they'll make it on the field as well - 20 years after those sunny weeks in Spain.

·
totally innocent
2,227 Posts
Re: Re: Re: The staff at World Cup Archive predict Italy to win the World Cup

King Italy said:

Name of the World Cup ;)
Actually King Italy, the Jules Rimet is the previous World cup trophy (the one that Brazil kept then "lost"). The new one is simply called the world cup trophy.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: Re: Re: The staff at World Cup Archive predict Italy to win the World Cup

HiJazzey said:

Actually King Italy, the Jules Rimet is the previous World cup trophy (the one that Brazil kept then "lost"). The new one is simply called the world cup trophy.

I was testing ya's ;)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I'm shure a team with no wingers, a team that has no replacement for the injury Totti, a team that always loses on penalties..is going to win the WC....yeah right...

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
SZeppelin75 said:
I'm shure a team with no wingers, a team that has no replacement for the injury Totti, a team that always loses on penalties..is going to win the WC....yeah right...
Damn gloryhunter, go and support your own nation instead, before you talk crap about italy. Our wingers are doing absolutely fine and Totti will be playing too for the record.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Hey Nasty nick, are you swedish of Italian?, i am from Argentina, my family is from Argentina, what is your problem?

Coco and Zambrotta are pure excuses of wingers, you can't compare them to Sorin, Killy or Zanetti,,Totti looks very injured to me, thanks to Trapattoni, Doni can't cover for him, and since Fat boy del piero, doens't want to play in Totti's position, you'll have to play with 5 defensive midfielders...all that Itally will do in the WC, is play defense, defense, defense, and throw long balls to Vieri and Co, to see what they can do...BORING...

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
SZeppelin75 said:
Hey Nasty nick, are you swedish of Italian?, i am from Argentina, my family is from Argentina, what is your problem?

Coco and Zambrotta are pure excuses of wingers, you can't compare them to Sorin, Killy or Zanetti,,Totti looks very injured to me, thanks to Trapattoni, Doni can't cover for him, and since Fat boy del piero, doens't want to play in Totti's position, you'll have to play with 5 defensive midfielders...all that Itally will do in the WC, is play defense, defense, defense, and throw long balls to Vieri and Co, to see what they can do...BORING...
Easy to knock Italy because they rarely like to show up unless they have to.

What Italy has is heart and a tenaciousness that can't be matched.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Fee-Go said:

What Italy has is heart and a tenaciousness that can't be matched.
extremly wrong, fee-go. i dont think any other team will leave their souls in the pitch like our players will do. i have never seen a team so committed to their people like this. the terrible situatiom argentina is going through, is giving to our players an extra motivation to win. and like claudio caniggia said, noone loves their NT more than the argentine players.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
You got that right Batigold, no one has more will and hungre to win this WC than our players, they have a commintment to our people, they know this is their chance..

No one loves more thier national team than our players...

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Hey Zeppelin so you're one of a few argies around here? Then why don't you write it on your profile and let us know.

Coco and Zambrotta are decent players IMO. Zambrotta is even better then Sorin i think. And for someone who think that we only play defence can't obviously not been watching italy much, so my advice is that you shut your mouth before you know some more.

I just hate Italy bashers :yuck:

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nasty nick said:

I just hate Italy bashers :yuck:

nasty nick so do I man, they particularly come out in force just before a major tournament. They do it because:

a. They simply don't like the way they play (Catenaccio)
b. They are a Catenaccio victim
c. They are worried about becoming a Catenaccio victim

:cool:

·
Registered
13,104 Posts
I support Italy but I'm not afraid to criticize my squad. We have a few soft spots, but so does Argie (on defense). I actually think Zambro is pretty good these days. I used to be down on him, but w/ experience he's grown. I like Italy's chances at 6-1, mainly because of the bracket they are in. A lot will depend on the health of Totti and Vieri.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Zambrotta better than Sorin?, ja,ja,ja, don't make me laugh...all italy does is throw long balls to their forwards....No middle play, Totti is a magician, but if you mark him tight, then there's notihg your other players can do..

Samuel and Ayala don't seam like bad defenders to me, do you still think we have a bad defense?, i don't think so..

If you can't stand criticisim.,....then, you shouldn't be here...

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
SZeppelin75 said:
Zambrotta better than Sorin?, ja,ja,ja, don't make me laugh...all italy does is throw long balls to their forwards....No middle play, Totti is a magician, but if you mark him tight, then there's notihg your other players can do..
I guess we have to disagree on this one :rolleyes: I can't say you got a bad defence but it could have been better. The Midfield and attack is pure class even through Gustavo Lopez and Caniggia has nothing to do in a world cup. I admit you got a good team but don't forget to give ITALY credit for the large number of imigrants that moved to Argentina.

SZeppelin75 said:
If you can't stand criticisim.,....then, you shouldn't be here...
That comming from a guy who was previously banned, hmmmm.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Yeah....yeah...yeah...yada....yada.....
Maybe your midfield is strong but your strikers suxx and your keepers....... :eek:
So the only place that Argentina is stronger Than Italia is only in the midfield!
Besides how can you win a WC w/ bad forwards like that????
I guess you'll be praying all day till the WC that all your forwards will get back in form! Or Argentina will be in deep $hit!
And like Nasty Nick said: Be thankful that a lot of Italian immigrants moved to Argentina, because if not your team will not be as strong as it is right now.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Crespo and Batigol have always been better in the NT, they always play well in the NT, even if they have had a bad season at serie a, they will regain their form in the WC, believe me, nobody is a hubgry as us...

If i was banned ot wasn't because of critisism, it was because Srtephanho, Junevuts Forum manager, couldn't stand the fact thet i said that Juve buys referees, and games...

Midfield wins championships, remember that.

Zambrotta is no Conti, so there you go..

Batistuta, veron, Ortega, Lopez, Crespo, Samuel, Ayala, Burgos, Aimar, Gallardo, Placente, Sorin, Simeone, Almeyda, don't sound italian to me..

Remember we gave you Orsi, so you could win your first championship with the help of Mussolini.

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
SZeppelin75 said:
Batistuta, veron, Ortega, Lopez, Crespo, Samuel, Ayala, Burgos, Aimar, Gallardo, Placente, Sorin, Simeone, Almeyda, don't sound italian to me..

Remember we gave you Orsi, so you could win your first championship with the help of Mussolini.
OK, Batistuta is an Italian name so is Crespo, Simeone, Caniggia, Sensini, Zanetti. Actually most Argentinians has some kind of italian heritage, might not be their name but maybe their grandmother came from italy or some other relative so don't let the names itself fool you. If you're actually Argentinian yourself make and heritage research and you'll perhaps will find that you also had some italian origins.

Orsi had an Italian father for the record :D

·
Registered
13,104 Posts
The ethnicity stuff is for the birds, but I believe Argentina does indeed have a very leaky defense and three rotten keepers.
Besides Samuel, what is there in the back? Ayala is a Serie A reject, Chamot is known as one of the league's worst defenders (gave Juve scudetto w/ own goal) and the rest are unworthy. Placente (?sp) that dude from Leverkusen is awful, just awful. Yes, Argentina has a solid midfield, but defense wins championships. Look at the Euro 2000 final four - all great defenses, incl. Portugal, whom no one scored against for like over 300 mins. France and Italy had the best defenses. France squeaked out a win vs. Italy due to our defensive lapses.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts