Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great article from Channel4 (should have mentioned the tactical change though):

Now Roma are in the last 16 of the Champions League, Steve Wilson wonders what the fans on Luciano Spalletti's back in October must be thinking.

October 22 - Roma sit third in their Champions League group after losses to Chelsea, the night before, and at home to Transylvanian minnows Cluj, on Matchday 1. The club are 14th in Serie A, having won just two of their seven games. The mood of the fans is fast turning against Luciano Spalletti. Has the bald-headed tactician taken Roma as far as he can? Were the consecutive Champions League quarter-finals, Serie A second places and Coppa Italia wins just a blip? Has his true ability now been revealed and denounced in just two months of new-season football?

December 10 - Roma have topped their Champions League group, having to come to the aid of Chelsea by finishing off the threat of a tenacious Bordeaux side at the Olimpico. A place in the last 16, and home advantage for the second leg, is ensured. Domestically the Giallorossi have climbed just one League place, but they are currently five games unbeaten, have only Milan, Napoli and Genoa of the form-sides to face in their next 10 matches and are just seven points off fourth spot. What do the fans who were doubting Spalletti think now I wonder?

The turn around in fortunes in just a little over a month has not been life-changing - there is still a lot of work to do. However, what it does show is that occasionally every Coach has an unfortunate couple of weeks where everything goes wrong - it doesn't mean that he has suddenly turned into an inept fool overnight. Had Roma's board had the same knee-jerk reaction as some of I Lupi's fans then 'Lucky' Luciano may have been spending Christmas working on his CV - and would Roma have done any better without him in this pressure-cooker season of expectation?

This is an exceptional campaign for Roma. The European Cup Final is being played in their back garden and they are desperate to be at the party. Very few clubs in Europe - let alone ones with Roma's limited resources - can mount a dual challenge at home and on the continent and it has to be expected that League form will suffer as the club try and relive, and better, the achievements of their 1984 side. When the wobbles come Spalletti has to be backed and supported - it is the only way the club has any chance of delivering the ultimate prize that the fans desire in May.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
I have a problem with these kind of articles because I don't think it's a crime to say that we lacked preparation, organization and concentration for the first 10 weeks of the season, which already cost us at least the scudetto and maybe next year's CL. It's the coach's job to prepare the club to its utmost, and I still think Spal's mind was on possibly joining Chelsea this summer. He totally misplayed several players in the formation at the start of the campaign and foolishly stuck to a formation without players who suited it. Now, that said, he probably had to figure out how to play certain players and adjust them into the team, but so did all other clubs with new recruits and they didn't fall apart mentally, physically and emotionally.
Credit to Spal for pulling it all together and getting the most from everyone these days. Credit also to the players who are making it happen. Let's hope we found a good formula.

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Spalletti is a smart coach but he is still learning how to become smart and great too. I admit he has proven my doubts wrong about his ability to turn all this around. However I still have my doubts about him having the enough experience to deal with other tough situations that we probably gonna face in the future, without actually going through the painful experience and wasting the time to think it over. It took him almost a whole season and two months to notice the obvious and change his outdated formation. As it took him a humilating historical loss to know that he can't play an open game against an English team at the top of its game. That all said, if his learning curve continues to be improve I have no problem with the occassional hiccups, hoping the one day he'll become the great tactician we all expect him to be.

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Didn't know where to post this. :)

From Spalletti press conference yesterday:

“We will try to improve and bring in even more quality, but we must not forget about these players, because they put us in this position. It is only through forward planning that we can overcome many difficulties.”

Among those whose deals are set to expire in the next few seasons are Francesco Totti, Alberto Aquilani, Rodrigo Taddei, Simone Perrotta, Christian Panucci, David Pizarro and Juan.

“We should give a proper contract to the directors, as they impose the rules. We also have to build the club up with our own stadium, some stands in the Trigoria training ground so the fans can be close to us.

“Our structures must be completed so that no Coach or player can ever have the alibi of saying ‘I can’t perform because I am lacking this support.’ These facilities are the things that help players to perform better.”

One of the first things Spalletti is eager to construct is an indoor swimming pool, as in recent days Rome has been flooded by torrential rain and the training ground is in dire condition.

I like the last part, good thinking.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
The turn around in fortunes in just a little over a month has not been life-changing - there is still a lot of work to do. However, what it does show is that occasionally every Coach has an unfortunate couple of weeks where everything goes wrong - it doesn't mean that he has suddenly turned into an inept fool overnight. Had Roma's board had the same knee-jerk reaction as some of I Lupi's fans then 'Lucky' Luciano may have been spending Christmas working on his CV - and would Roma have done any better without him in this pressure-cooker season of expectation?
It's all fine to say this after the fact, but when you're in the moment you can't tell if it's just a stroke of "bad luck" or if something is seriously wrong. There's no way to win against a guy who sits in the future. A lot of clubs have decided to stick it out with their coach in the past, to disastrous results.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Forza Spal,Forza Ragazzi,Forza Roma:thumbsup::proud:,that win against Cagliari is going to really give Roma that mega boost.it's amazing how a positive run of result's getting back your best player and confidence can turn thing's around.It's apparent that formation doesn't work the one we all know about,but the grinding out of result's against team's such as Lecce,Chievo and Cagliari have shown so much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts