Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to acknowledge the tremendous job our coach, Luciano Spalletti, has done for our beloved Roma. Despite low funds, the selling of stars like Cassano and Chivu (soon Mancini), and 2 major injuries to Totti...the 3 year Spalletti Era has been great and consistently gets better every year. Yes, he has his faults (as all managers do), I hope the trend continues, but it will be difficult as we can't afford to bring in any big time players.

Nonetheless, the Spalletti Era:

2005/06
69 points...19 wins, 12 draws, 7 losses...70 goals scored, 42 conceded
5th place in Serie A (moved to 2nd place because of calciopoli)
Coppa Italia runners-up
UEFA Cup Round of 16
Record of 11 consecutive wins (later surpassed by Inter)

2006/07
75 points...22 wins, 9 draws, 7 losses...74 goals scored, 34 conceded
2nd place in Serie A
Coppa Italia Winners
Italian SuperCup runners-up
Champions League Quarterfinalist
Eliminated Lyon in Paris from the CL
Tied for most points ever by a Roma team (2000/01)

2007/08
82 points...24 wins, 10 draws, 4 losses...72 goals scored, 37 conceded
2nd place in Serie A
Coppa Italia Winners
Italian SuperCup Winners
Champions League Quarterfinalist
Eliminated Real Madrid in Madrid from the CL
Record for most points ever by a Roma team

Grazie Luciano!!

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
905 Posts
People are worried about the rumours surrounding Spalletti and Chelsea; frankly, if Luciano decides to go I wouldn't begrudge him at all as he is a fantastic tactician and a great motivator. Ancelotti told CdS that he would only leave Milan for Roma, so I suspect if Milan don't extract a piece of silverware from the next campaign he may be heading south. I would not be at all surprised to see Rijkaard return to Milan after a short sabbatical.

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Spalletti already confirmed he is not going anywhere. He said he is not interested in anything else but build a strong Roma for the future.

·
Premium Member
11,360 Posts
Cacini, welcome back. ;)

Anyway, you know my position. Spalletti is my hero. ;)

Chelsea just announced they are signing Scollari, so no worries on that for us anymore.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Thanks guys. D, to be honest I never doubted Spalletti would stay, so the news of Scolari is like a non-event for me and my romanista-mind.

·
Administrator
52,972 Posts
Shooo Osci ;)

Well Yeah, there wasnt anything to fear at all, the media linked Chelsea with every serie A top coach like they were lining up in an auction stage to be lucky enough to be picked by Chelsea. Pretty bullshit stuff. Scolari was allways the most realistic and likely candidate.

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
It was great when it lasted.. but for many reasons the cycle had to finish somewhere. IMO it ended right there when Tonetto PK went over the bar against Arsenal.

Thank you for everything Luciano.. one true word.. you were always a gentleman. Sometimes too much it affected the result of your work.

Good luck in your future. We will always remember you. After all you are the coach with the longest period in this club history.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
He did some very good things with Roma. Had them playing the best, most refreshing football in Italy at some stages during his reign. Things come to an end but he will be back somewhere doing his stuff again no doubt. There is something about the guy where you feel his best is yet to come in management.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Yep, he will be back bigger and better and would have learnt ALOT from his experience with us.

Thanks for everything Luciano. Aside from the last 12 months, I really loved watching your team play. You brought us great joy and turned us into a force when we were really struggling. Wish you all the best for the future.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Always a true gentleman:

Luciano Spalletti left Roma with a final act of generosity – giving up two years of wages to help the club through its financial turmoil.

The Coach was widely expected to be sacked or negotiate the termination of his contract by mutual consent this morning.

Instead, when he arrived at the Villa Pacelli complex for a meeting with President Rosella Sensi, he tended his resignation.

This is a significant move on his part, as Spalletti has effectively let Roma ‘off the hook’ for the wages he was owed until the contract expires in July 2011.

The same does not apply to his coaching staff, as they are set to negotiate their own contract termination separately, but the tactician has decided to give up on a great deal of money.

Roma have been struggling financially for some time and one of the main reasons for this split was the lack of funds for new players.

It is a dramatic exit for Spalletti, who in Week 1 had matched Fabio Capello’s record as the longest-serving Roma Coach by starting his fifth consecutive campaign.

At the Olimpico since 2005 and well known for his entertaining brand of football, with this club he has won two Coppa Italia trophies in 2007 and 2008, the 2007 Italian Super Cup and two Players Association awards as Best Serie A Coach in 2006 and 2007.

Claudio Ranieri was in a meeting with President Sensi this morning and his appointment will be made official later today on a one-year contract with an option for a second.
Grazie!

·
DAJE ROMA
5,521 Posts
Spalletti sucked in many situations but i remain convinced that the management used him as a scape goat for their failure in the mercato.

I would rather keep Spalletti and see Rosella out of the club .

Ranieri is a very poor coach .

·
Professional Pirate
7,103 Posts
Ciao Luciano.Its been great watching his interpretation of football.All good things come to an end though and a new beginning just might be whats best for both of us.I think he'd work brilliantly with Milan imo.

Wish him all the best with his career and life.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts