Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We need to find results in our forthcoming games or face the prospect of Serie B.I think that we must start to play harder and hungrier.We must grind out our results and fast.Thats what seems to be lacking in our play.There seems to be no bite.I watch players like De Rossi,Mancini even Cassano at times and its as if there is no urgency in their play.Its alltoo effortless.THIS MUST CHANGE.

In the long term,we really need NOT just a GM,we really need new owners.It seems to me that Franco Sensi wanted to cut the costs of running the club as to make more sellable to a future buyer next year.At this rate,he may just be pleased he still has a club in Serie A to sell.He really was foolish.While I am grateful he brought us the Scudetto in 2001 with his high expenditure on players,its obvious the time has come for him to pass this club onto new owners.Someone who has the passion,energy and commitment(and money)that he had in his younger days.Notice his absence from public eye.As a once outspoken man,he is seldom heard of now.And his daughter Rosella,while may have her heart in the right place,looks too soft for the cruel world of football.Sure,we can all dream of an Abramovic,yet what we need just now is a Mourinho.A player who gains the attention and respect of the dressing room.And if you do not behave,you can leave aka Mutu.For a club like ROMA,we need an authority figure who knows how to manage players both phsically and emotionally.Players like Totti and Cassano seem to be very fragile emotionally.They crack at the slightest thing.Yet,Mourinho would show them how to use that to their advantage on the field.Not be provoked into a reaction.The problem is their may not be a manager around Italy with those credentials.

Any thoughts...

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
You are correct.

We need managerial changes at club and team level.

As for the first, I doubt anyone is interested in investing in Roma. Surely they would have done it when we were in better health. Now we are on a life support machine, I think it is unlikely anyone inside Italy would be interested, and even if they were, would the "dark forces" allow it to happen?

As for caoch, Prandelli springs to mind, maybe Trapattoni, becuase both Cassano and Totti appeared to enjoy playing under him in Azzurri.

Whatever, the identity of the new coach must be based on ability, not nationality.

Of course, all this discussion will be academic if we are relegated this season.

·
Registered
13,183 Posts
Unfortunately saying we require new owners and actually getting them are two very different realities. You can't sign or trade for a new owner. New owners come when they sense a good investment. As we sink further and further down the table, it's harder and harder to call Roma a good investment. Still, we have the tradition, the fan base and the foundation to build upon. In a world of shrinking resources, would anyone still be interested in what we have to offer?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Does the club need an all-powerful owner though? I think it's a bit out of date really, unless someone like Abramovich comes along with truckloads of $$$$ no single bloke will be able to fix our problems. and i wouldn't want somebody who doesn't give a to$$ about the club coming and running the show like with Chel$ki anyway. :stuckup:

A.S. Roma is a publicly listed company now so all we need is a decent board who can manage the club properly by spending in line with revenue and so on. Roma could generate enough money from normal activities without needing injections to be competitive imo. :star:

we just need to be run properly like Man Utd or Arsenal, and certainly don't need some self-glorifying muppet dictator running the club, especially if he's not spending money of his own like Perez isn't at Madrid. :greed:

·
Professional Pirate
7,109 Posts
what are you sayin!! i would rather have someone like abromovich taking over the club rite now then get relegated or barley keep our star players!!...i actually enjoy watching chelsea and only the big money clubs seem to be winning the titles year after year....so please dont say you would rather have some huge amount of debt each year then have a owner who is willing to spend and make an all star team :depress: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
sinoy1 said:
what are you sayin!! i would rather have someone like abromovich taking over the club rite now then get relegated or barley keep our star players!!...i actually enjoy watching chelsea and only the big money clubs seem to be winning the titles year after year....so please dont say you would rather have some huge amount of debt each year then have a owner who is willing to spend and make an all star team :depress: :thumbsup:
sinoy you don't need a rich man running the club to get rid of debts, it just takes good management. The club can make plenty of money in a year so it's up to the people runnig it to control salaries and so on. :)

I'd prefer to see Roma try to build on it's own young players with top quality players like Chivu or Montella added from time to time in order to make the team competitive. I've really had enough of mercenary teams like Inter or Juventus (not to mention Chel$ki :yuck: ) and I'd rather lose than end up like them. :proud:

Basically i'd rather see Cerci miss a shot completely and be angry with himself because he actually cares about the team than Cannavaro or Ibrahimovic hit the post like they did vs Liverpool and then just have a laugh about it :rollani: as though they are having a kick around with their mates.

if run properly a club like Roma (or Lazio, Napoli etc) is never Serie B material and in the good years when the squad comes good it's even a chance for lo scudetto. we certainly don't need Abramovich and his dodgy money to sort out the club and I don't want to see Roma go down that road. :D

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Primo said:
Unfortunately saying we require new owners and actually getting them are two very different realities. You can't sign or trade for a new owner. New owners come when they sense a good investment. As we sink further and further down the table, it's harder and harder to call Roma a good investment. Still, we have the tradition, the fan base and the foundation to build upon. In a world of shrinking resources, would anyone still be interested in what we have to offer?
I would have to strongly disagree with your observation here.New owners tend to buy into clubs when they sense a bargain.Take for example,Berlusconi.He bought AC Milan for a pittance in the early 80s when they were in Serie B,or in recent times,Della Valle,the shoe millionaire,who bought Fiorentina as they were in Serie B.Even Abramovic bought Chelsea when they were burdened with debt and Ken Bates could no longer sustain it.Thats the exact point I am trying to make about Sensi.While he is trying to make ROMA financially more attractive to a potential investor by curbing the wage bill and getting rid of the dead wood,he may in the end cut off his nose to spite his face.I believe he was approached last year by the Russians and maybe the Roman investor Coppola,yet by not selling,he may actually get less for the club than he was offered.Especially,if we are relegated.Remember,apart from the training ground,the major asset of any football club,is its players.If Totti,Cassano and Chivu leave,the value of our club shrinks.Sales may offset your liabilities,but your net value decreases as your assets are worth less.This means the club will be worth less to a potential buyer.Its a fact star players always attract bigger sponsorship deals for a club too.
The worrying thing for me is that I see no direction with Sensi in charge anymore.The club may benefit from another's entrepreneurial skills.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
With Totti out we should play like all out defence. 6 draws would be enough to stay up so I wouldnt mind this.

Yesterday I thought the 3-5-2 system looked crap, but if the 3 and 5 stay compact enough, we could well concede less goals. Mancini needs to start working a bit though. Then we can just rely on Cassano and MOntella to score a goal or two.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would like to post this news regarding a sponsorship deal that broke down due to our poor performance this year.Its an Austrian company called betandwin who were eager to sponsor ROMA for $10 million a season if they qualified for CL. :shades: Here's the link,Sport Economy
Remember,Franco,when you help win ROMA the league.You have to speculate to accumulate.

·
Professional Pirate
7,109 Posts
thats sad that we messed up on getting into the champions league...with that 10 mill we could have offered cassano a new contract along with dacourt and dellas......but life goes on and we shall see what is done in the summer....for some strange reason im excited to see what happens in the summer!! FORZA ROMA

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
well a striker with speed is needed since we have not one at all....it would help a lot ..obviously we need better defenders and better holding midfielders...but the whole team sucks. the team lacks pace...if Eto'o was around see how easy it is for the other team to hug onto Cassano and Totti, impossible.

·
Professional Pirate
7,109 Posts
true a world class midfielder and a work horse in the central of the midfield as well...we need to shape up and change quickly...i want a new lean, mean, fighting roma machine next year!!!!

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
we don't have problems in the attack compartment.. we are one of the best attacks in the league..

the defense is not really as bad as it looks.. with a bit more organization and stability it can be one of the best..

Panucci--- Mexes --- Chivu --- Cufre

it's the midfield where we really suck.. it can't defend or create the only job our midfield has done so far this season is full the empty space in the field and run around like idiots..

what do u think of Maniche?

i can dream.. right? :D

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
yes you can lol...and yes i know the attack is good, but sometimes all those flicks and great movement really just needs somebody to stretch the defense...Montella is fine and all but hes not gonna get on the end of many thru balls that require him to beat the last guy for pace...same goes for cassano, although he is fast with the ball. Either way, if were to aquire another foward i would like him to have good speed...

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Maniche? yeah but only after we get Henry :D. after all AS_ROMA83 is right, we could use more pace in the side ;)

i think our defence is good for next year too if we can keep the lads together, except that i think it's time to offload Panucci though. if Galliani, Moggi and everyone else are all asleep at the wheel, maybe we could get Motta from Atalanta :D

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
we could use more pace in the side
we can get use of many things but i'm trying to put things in priority..;)

Maniche? yeah but only after we get Henry
ok then i'll try to be more reasonable.. what do u think of this one?

;)

i believe we can get him if the management play it right.. who knows maybe in exchange for Perotta + Ferrari..

it's inter after all :D

·
Registered
13,183 Posts
I guess the solution is to reinvent the midfield. I don't care for Emre. We need a real physical presence there. A runner w/ some muscle.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
well Bonanni from Vicenza is apparently a 6'3" left sided midfielder with a goal touch. he's only 23 and a Roma youth product that we still own half of I think. never seen him play though so i can't comment on his game. i've heard we might get him for next season but he may not have the quality for Serie A though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts