Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this piece from a Brazilian TV network. Check it out.
it regards the 'universal truths' we see in every World Cup. In this 'Cup of the Unexpected', where so many apparent surprises happened, we should consider what was really new and unheard-of this year. ;)

The Seven Deadly Sins in World Cups

1- Never be surprised with the Cup 'surprises'. There are ALWAYS teams, usually European, that go the distance and reach the decisive stages when nobody expected them to. Bulgaria did it in ’94, Croatia did it in ’98, Turkey played that part in ’02.

2- The Cup's 'dazzling sensation' always falls during the tournament. From Roger Milla's Cameroon to Diouf's Senegal, they come, they shine intensely, then they go back home. Denmark '86 and Portugal '66 were other short-lived "sensations" of the tournament that couldn't go all the way.

3- Don’t hold your breath waiting for Spain to fulfill their potential. There’s always something in Spain’s way, isn’t there? This year, I actually thought they might make it, but when it's not the Spaniards themselves, it's something else - something always happens to Spain. I think it's a shame, as I consider Hierro and Raul top-class players, but there it is.

4- Never forget the Italians' need to suffer. The Azzurri are always surrounded with drama and tension, almost like they need the suffering. With the team they have, they might have done without the suffering – but then they hired a manager who provided all the drama they needed, and then some more. :rollani:

5- The hosts always do better than expected. Mexico’s best campaigns were in ’70 and ’86. Chile was 3rd-placed in WC ’62. France got their first title in ’98. Sweden reached the final in 1958. The host nation always exceeds expectations.

6- One must NEVER dismiss Germany. Sure their football is ‘mechanical’, and rarely attractive. But they’re always going the distance. There’s a saying (I believe it’s a British saying but I may be wrong): “Football is a sport the whole world plays, then Germany wins by 1x0”. Playing ‘boring’ football bever stopped them from winning; and the fact that other teams are better has NEVER stopped Germany from raising trophies. Hungary learned that in '54, Holland was reminded of that in '74. And I hope this year Brazil escapes that 'curse'.

7- Remember, Brazil is a favorite. Are they disorganized? frequently. Is their defense unreliable? Almost always. but no matter how messed up they are, never forget Brazil’s power: The obscene amount of talent they have at their disposal makes the difference. Brazil is Brazil, and World Cups are Brazil’s natural environment. :cool:

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Bravo! Bravo! Excellent post!!!

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Bull's Eye. Great post and great analysis of facts. :cool:

The point No. 7 is the best and completly correct.:D

bye

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's thread-ressurection time! :party:

Four years ago, this list hit the bullseye. Will this year's WC follow those patterns once more? If so, who will be the "unexpected european teams that go the distance"? Who will be the short-lived WC "dazzling sensation"?

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Garrincha said:
3- Don’t hold your breath waiting for Spain to fulfill their potential. There’s always something in Spain’s way, isn’t there? This year, I actually thought they might make it, but when it's not the Spaniards themselves, it's something else - something always happens to Spain. I think it's a shame, as I consider Hierro and Raul top-class players, but there it is.
:howler:

How about two perfect goals not awarded vs Korea?

I am still mad about Morientes' golden goal. :mad:

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Madridista10 said:
:howler:

How about two perfect goals not awarded vs Korea?

I am still mad about Morientes' golden goal. :mad:
It's "something else", something always seems to happen to Spain. IMO the article isn't saying that Spain is incompetent, just that something always happens to throw them off-track; sometimes it's their own fault, sometimes not.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Garrincha said:
It's "something else", something always seems to happen to Spain. IMO the article isn't saying that Spain is incompetent, just that something always happens to throw them off-track; sometimes it's their own fault, sometimes not.
Yep.

I wonder what it will be this time.

Power failure after leading 1-0 with 5 mins left to play? :D

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Madridista10 said:
Yep.

I wonder what it will be this time.

Power failure after leading 1-0 with 5 mins left to play? :D
Maybe a meteor will fall on the stadium. :scared: :D

·
Registered
42,849 Posts
Great observations ...

A "surprise" European nation to make it far into the tournament ... I look at Serbia as the likely nation to perform that role ... of course, their group is very difficult, but I believe they can do it.

The nation to make an explosion, then die pretty quickly ... Japan.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Spain have a "good" WC and a "bad" WC... it's a pattern. Spain 1982, bad for us (BTW, this breaks rule 5, but it was obviously not compatible with rule 3 :D); Mexico 86, good for us... we lost in the penalties...pff; Italy 90, bad for us, Yugoslavia kicked us our in 1/8 finals; USA 94, good WC, but Baggio, the mistakes of Salinas and the ref did the job in our best game; France 98,...no comment; Korea 02, good WC for us, we were literally robbed in one of the biggest shames in WC's history... and lost in the penalties; Germany 06...ayayayay... bad? :scared:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
:scared:

I wouldn´t say though that -94 was a "good" WC for Spains outcome since Tassotti virtually broke LE´s nose in the pentalty-box and the ref.. Well, what the hell did he do?

So considering we have two "bad" WC in between -94 and -98, we surely must have some good ones to be afforded.:lick:

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
the unexpected european will be ukraine. mark my words.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Wow Garrincha, a very timely resurrection. Well done mate. Some very, very true points.

RE: Point No.1...

One word: Ukraine :thumbsup:

EDIT: Just noticed your post, Fabio. I agree 100%.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts