Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
José Santiago Cañizares Ruiz (born December 18, 1969 in Puertollano, Ciudad Real) is a Spanish football goalkeeper who currently plays for Valencia.

Career

Cañizares started his club career with Real Madrid in 1988, playing initially with Real Madrid B. He then played with Mérida UD and Celta Vigo, before coming back to Real Madrid in 1994. Unable to cement a starting place, Cañizares moved to Valencia CF in 1998 to replace the retired Andoni Zubizarreta. He helped the club to consecutive UEFA Champions League finals in 2000 and 2001 and La Liga titles in 2002 and 2004.

National Team

Cañizares has been capped 46 times for Spain, the first in 17 November 1993. Zubizarreta was sent off in the tenth minute of a decisive 1994 World Cup qualifier (Spain-Denmark, 1-0) and Cañizares debuted in heroic fashion, keeping a clean sheet and ensuring qualification at the expense of precisely the Danes. However, he was often the second-choice keeper, and only played five matches in the major international scene: one in the 1994 World Cup (as Zubi served a one-match ban), three in Euro 2000 (the only tournament where he was the first choice keeper) and one in the 2006 World Cup. He was a squad member at Euro 96, the 1998 FIFA World Cup, Euro 2004, and the 2006 World Cup but didn't play behind Andoni Zubizarreta in the 1990s and Iker Casillas in 2004. However, Cañizares was first-choice in the gold winning squad at the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona.

His club form ensured himself as first-choice international in the 2002 FIFA World Cup, but he missed out on the tournament due to an accident with an aftershave bottle which resulted in a severed tendon in his foot. Since then, Casillas has been the first Spain goalkeeping option.

Honours

Real Madrid
La Liga 1994-95, 1996-97
UEFA Champions League 1997-98
Spanish Super Cup 1997

Valencia CF
La Liga 2001-02, 2003-04
Spanish Cup 1998-99
Spanish Super Cup 1999
UEFA Cup 2003-04
European Super Cup 2004

Celta Vigo & Valencia CF
4 Zamora Trophy

Anyway he's now a model:D
He deserves a tribute thread now that he's basically retiring.

·
Registered
34,126 Posts
Yes he does, funny i was just thinking about him the other day and what a legend he was. :(

Sad end, but great guy!

Remember his pasty face, love him! :proud:

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

One of my fav wallpapers:

:cry:

·
semi-retired
18,554 Posts
The guy's first name is José? :howler: Totally kills the coolness eh? :shades:

Anyway great goal keeper when the fcuker wasn't high :D Those were six memorable titles he lifted with us :proud: Ah the good ol' days ;)

I have a feeling he'll be back though...

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
who wouldn't?:pp

·
Registered
16,538 Posts
Santiago Cañizares, well, our best goalkeeper of all time, no doubt about that. His charisma on the field, his cockiness, his brilliance, his security, his feeling on dominating the area despite being so short was immense for us during many years. A goalkeeper that had his own style, unique. A master of making the easy to look hard but still having full control of it and a master of making the hard look easy.

Cañizares was probably never the best person to work with. Many years did he have his fights with players. Palop, Djukic and Carboni are the more known ones. Djukic and Cañizares didn't share a word for 2 years, 2 fúcking years!

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Canizares wouldn't ask that filth, everrr.

Plus Koeman is taken, heard Maduro's his new wife.

Friki this is a tribute thread. So take a shit somewhere else:D:pp

·
Registered
16,538 Posts
:confused:

What has Koeman and Maduro with this to do?
I did say that he was our best goalkeeper ever but were probably not the best teammate because of antics with Djukic, Carboni and Palop. I didn't even mention the dutch guys

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The dutch guys is the usual Valencia OT shit.

But your 'shit' is making Canizares look bad:D

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
[tub]Obs3SD3zwhI[/tub]

[tub]FDrZbj16CkU[/tub]

[tub]ZT2ij3zy9MA[/tub]

·
Registered
16,538 Posts
One of the saves I remember most, his freaky saves against Osasuna, 2 or 3 seasons ago, 2 saves at the bottom of the posts, pure craziness, to even get down there so fast is an achivement and then to save them, just wow...

1 - 20 of 149 Posts