Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Star Player
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Rovers visit Anfield tomorrow

Come on guys.......we have to win this:) We must ensure a top 2 finish...........
I will leave the rest of the discussion to the others;):D

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Mr Fowler said:
Actually they don't, it's on wednsday
First of all.. welcome back Mr Fowler.. wow.. has it been a while or what since you were last here :) Hope to see you here day in day out :)

ok.. so we play the game on Wednesday... I think at the same time as the Man U - Arsenal game... and it's a must win (how many times have we said that?? :D).. but seriously.. with our top 2 rivals clashing.. (personally I want an Arsenal win!!).. we should raise our game in search for the 3 points..

Actually.. a draw would be enough to ensure that Liverpool have broken their Premiership record of points!! :) that's some acheivement!!..

who should play?? well I don't want to go into that.. why?? cuz in the end it's the same old formation that will play.. I'm guessing something like:

Dudek

Xavier-Henchoz-Hyypia-Carra

Murphy-Hamann-Gerrard-Riise

Anelka-Owen (or Heskey for one of them)...

Personally, I'd want to see Litti playing.. and Baros on the bench!! it's about time he gets a nod!! :)

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Don't worry about the slip up... Razor drinks;)

I'll discuss the game more the day before...:eek:

·
Registered
202 Posts
He's been playing in the reserves and he stinks!:(
(Baros, that is)

·
Star Player
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Rovers DO visit Anfield tomorrow.....:devil:
Heeeeeheeeeehaaaahaaaaaa:devil: :dielaugh:

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
I think we're gonna win, mainly of 2 reasons:

1. I want the second place, just to finish above you know who

2. Don't feel like going through all those CL qualifiers, so a victory tomorrow plus an Arsenal draw at OT would be just fine. :cool:

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
To be honest, I don't care if Arsenal get the double or not. I want them to do a good job @ OT and get at least a draw. Too bad Henry twisted his knee in the FA Cup final and he is not going to play tomorrow... :(

I think tomorrow will be an easy game for Liverpool, get into top gear and score as many goals as they can...

Players not going to play are: Litmanen (Calf), Wright (Ankle) and Kirkland (back)

What is Kirkland doing? I know this is not the first time he injured himself. He is still young and he has a bright future. We know he said he wants to put pressure on Dudek to challenge for the no. 1 spot but... Pls, don't be too serious, take it easy, man!

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Premiership Preview: Liverpool Vs Blackburn
Liverpool - Blackburn Rovers | News Archive

Liverpool and Blackburn meet at Anfield on Wednesday evening (Allsport)
05/07/2002. AT STAKE

Will Liverpool out duel the Red Devils for the runner-up spot in the Premier League? The Reds finished fourth two seasons ago and third last season and should be geared up to finish the season on a high note. Here's how the picture could look. If Arsenal seizes victory over Manchester United tomorrow, a Reds victory over Blackburn will lift them one point above their archrivals. By then, destiny will be in the hands of Liverpool who will only need a final victory over Ipswich on Saturday to finish second in the league, and also avoid having to pre-qualify for the Champions League.

On the other hand, Graeme Souness will have his nostalgic moments when he returns to Anfield but would have plans of his own as he hopes to motivate his men to collect all six points in their remaining two fixtures starting with their visit to Anfield at 8pm kickoff time tomorrow night. Two more wins would mean a very good chance of finishing in the top ten this year.

TEAM NEWS AND FORM GUIDE

Jari Litmanen, Chris Kirkland and Stephen Wright all have injuries to contend with. Nonetheless, none of them would have had the chance to fight for first team place as Houllier has vowed to feature his strongest side despite the fact that Liverpool has no chance to win the Premier League this year.

Liverpool (all comps – oldest results first): WWLWWL: If the Reds do not beat Blackburn, there will be nothing to play for in their last game against Ipswich. So look for an upbeat Liverpool to put behind their loss against Tottenham and re-focus on their objectives. Houllier will most likely play all three strikers upfront, with Owen looking to finish the season with 20 league goals, Anelka hoping to be part of the team's plans next season and Heskey typically controlling the ball in the air.

The visitors will not have any alarming injury worries prior to kickoff. Alan Kelly, the Republic of Ireland stopper will face Liverpool following Brad Friedel's return to the USA to prepare for the World Cup. It will be his first Premiership start this season.

Blackburn (all comps – oldest results first): LWDWDW: It would really be a black and burning Wednesday night if the visitors can inflict Liverpool with a second consecutive loss, flaming out their last minute chances to finish higher than their current position. At this point of the season, it isn't really necessary to look at a team's current form to know that international players like Jansen and Duff will be looking to improve their chances of participating in the upcoming World-cup finals.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Liverpool: Anelka has just two more matches before Houllier decides if Anelka will be wearing a Liverpool jersey next season. While the 22 years old Frenchman has no confirmation of a place in the World Cup finals, he has everything to play for and a lot at stake.

Blackburn: Matt Jansen continues to impress, scoring an opportunistic goal against Everton while taking advantage of the latter's awful defending. It would be a good platform for him to impress Sven Goran Eriksson with the likes of World Cup bound Owen, Heskey and Gerrard playing for the opposition. Very quietly, another England hopeful, Andy Cole scored his tenth goal against Everton, since joining Blackburn from Manchester United earlier this season. Unfortunately, Cole's chances of joining the England team are only theoretical.

POSSIBLE STARTING XIs:

Liverpool (4-3-3): Dudek; Carragher, Henchoz, Hyypia, Xavier, Hamann, Gerrard, Riise; Owen, Anelka, Heskey

Blackburn (4-4-2): Kelly, Unsal, Short, Berg, Curtis, Gillespie, Dunn, Tugay, Duff, Cole, Jansen

soccerage

·
Registered
547 Posts
If you stop Duff, you stop Blackburn.

Jansen and Co can only operate if Duff is on form. He is the outstanding attacking player in our side.

+ He'll probably be looking to impress the Liverpool management as there are rumours linking him with you rats!!

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Blooming hell, what is going on at Anfield, we're currently 4:3 up, Heskey just scored. :) Murphy, Anelka and Hyypia put us ahead 3 times but the Rovers equalised 3 times....and now, Heskey's given us the lead again.

If all the result stay as it is, we'll go back to second.

·
International
6,724 Posts
4-3 was the final score. We move up to 2nd now. Scrappy goal by Murphy, nice finish by Anelka, great header by Hyypia, and a good turn and shoot goal by Heskey :cool:

1 more match to go, Ipswich at Anfield on Saturday :)

·
Registered
516 Posts
What a game. Great result, great to leapfrog Manure. Now we've got to finish the job on Saturday and finally finish above them.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
7 goal thriller!!! ...What a game!!

But I am just glad that we finished the victors....nearly died from the heart thumpings

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
wow...4-3??? what a game...didn't watch the game but i think it was an exciting one...wasn't it??? ;)

·
Star Player
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A thriller indeed:cool: But definitely not one for the defensive records:D Too bad I had to miss such a match for the Arse-Man U match:eek:

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
I watched the game, albeit delayed. It was not one of Liverpool's best performance defensively, though we look good going forward. But it seems like our "good going forward" is unlike Arsenal or Man U's. It is just not the same. We do not look as threatening as them up front. Our game against Blackburn was saved by some wonderful play by Gerrard and Anelka, coupled with the hardworking Murphy, displaying his attitude (in vain) in front of Sven. Blackburn, unlike most teams playing at Anfield, refuses to lie down with some nice touches.

Our first goal was a lucky one by Murphy. Riise cut in from the left and pass to an onrushing Murphy, who stumbled his way through, and with butt on the ground, scooped the ball past Alan Kelly. On closer examination, there was a slight deflection along the way by Berg, and Spud did not even celebrate his goal. He did not look happy either. Blackburn's first equaliser came from the inspired Liverpool target Damien Duff, who swept the ball past Dudek after two close interchanging passes (INSIDE LIVERPOOL'S BOX) with Cole and Short. Liverpool restored their advantage when Anelka took the ball away from Owen from another Riise's past, skipped past one challenge at the edge of the box and found space to slot the ball home. He was perhaps trying to justify for his wage demands so that Liverpool will be more willing to sign him this summer.

Once second half resumed, Blackburn came back with a reply from an Andy Cole header that went straight to Dudek, but the power caught Dudek off and he palmed the ball into the net. It was Dudek's mistake, that, his first in many League games. 2-2. Liverpool went looking for the advantage again, with many long range shootings, and got it through Hyypia's header into the ground past Kelly. The game proceeded until the 78th minute, when Matt Jansen slienced the home crowd with a simple tap-in in the far-post after Blackburn contrived a good chance with a low cross the eluded half the defence. But Heskey turned into the match winner, when he, like Anelka, found space and slot home the goal that killed off Blackburn, finally. Like Murphy, he was slightly injured while being tackled after he pulled the trigger.

This could well turn out to be the match to overhaul Man U to finish second.

paw;)

·
Star Player
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just managed to watch the 2nd half delayed. I switched on the TV and suddenly the game was being shown.....but I had already missed the first half by then:groan:
Rather entertaining game it was:) I thought Dudek was rather shaky though:rolleyes: Wonder what got into him:eek: And the second goal (Cole's header from Neil's cross) actually made me think twice about risking Riise at left-back again. I myself had said before that Riise is 'ok' in defending......but I am getting more and more worried. He is too easily fooled by the strikers:(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts