Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
MVP
8,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I walk into an Adidas shop, and understandably so, I'd see alot of Messi posters, and Messi shirts being promoted at the entrance. He's a superstar, dazzling everyone with his skills.

I walk into a Nike store, and there are posters of Cristiano Ronaldo. Again, understandbly so - top scorer last season, CL winner, EPL winner.

Ronaldinho also had his moments...back in 2005...ish.

So, what's with all the commercial hype?

Why is his R10 branded items continuing to be promoted by Nike? He has completely vanished out of the limelight in the last two years with Barcelona; why is his R10 brand still releasing goods in shops here?

What's even more puzzling, is why people are still buying that stuff? Does the casual sports-wear fan actually think that R10 means something?

This logo is on boots, footballs, shorts, shirts, jackets, caps...

Sorry, I have nothing against the player, I just get irritated when visiting ANY Nike store with R10 and Ronaldinho being shoved in my face; when in fact this is a clearly misleading OVERHYPE!!!

There are much MUCH MUCH worthier footballers who deserve to represent the Nike brand in shops, than Ronaldinho.

/End rant.

·
1st Tier Poster
50,805 Posts
Do you think it matters how good his form currently is? Do you think it is morally wrong by Nike to continue promoting a successful brand when the player in question isn't the best player in the world anymore? :D

They are going by the sales number only. If people won't buy R10 stuff then it will dissappear from the shops. It has nothing to do with the hype, it's strictly business. He was the absolute best in the world for several seasons and that built up the brand value. It won't vanish overnight.

·
MVP
8,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you think it matters how good his form currently is? Do you think it is morally wrong by Nike to continue promoting a successful brand when the player in question isn't the best player in the world anymore? :D

They are going by the sales number only. If people won't buy R10 stuff then it will dissappear from the shops. It has nothing to do with the hype, it's strictly business. He was the absolute best in the world for several seasons and that built up the brand value. It won't vanish overnight.
Fine. But it's misleading!!!! :scream:

Casual customer (not hardcore, statistic, scoreline, we-know-what-time-the-player-goes-to-the-bathroom-obsessed fans like us :D ) walks in and goes, "Hmm. Ronaldinho, WOW yeah he's that Brazilian superstar he's awesome...I'll take the boots and the ball please."

:wallbang:

·
1st Tier Poster
50,805 Posts
You know what's even more outrageous: people are still buying Air Jordans even though Michael isn't even playing anymore :scream: How dare they!

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
His Brand Still Sells.

I think most people in the globe recognize Ronaldinho more than Messi.

Or Beckham more than C Ronaldo.

·
MVP
8,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know what's even more outrageous: people are still buying Air Jordans even though Michael isn't even playing anymore :scream: How dare they!
I knew you'd mention that. :lazy:

The Micheal Jordan brand is completely different. The man is a legend in every sense of the word. He broke records in NBA and in the basketball...

This symbol meant something to me when I was an 8 year old kid [1989] going to buy a pair of sneakers. It's timeless...

Ronaldinho's R10...seriously no comparison, and no meaning to "sell" the idea of it to the new generation.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Does the casual sports-wear fan actually think that R10 means something?
Yes.

The fact that Ronaldinho made 3 times as much money (or something like that) as Cristiano did last year proves that.

Also, don't forget that David Beckham is currently the highest earner in football, as of data for last year. So yes, casual perception of sports is different.

·
Registered
46,028 Posts
Air Jordans. :proud:

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
They're not gonna pull off the shelves a load of shirts that cost a pound to make 3 in sweatshops. they will sell until nothings left

·
Premium Member
11,360 Posts
I don't get this thread. Since when marketing hype has to do anything with reality?

And it would be totally idiotic for Nike to give up on using Ronaldinho heavily while he's still very popular and his stuff sells well. They've already invested so much in making him a marketing icon, of course they'll use this. Plus he may'be a shadow of what he used to be, but he's still spectacular to watch and able to produce magic on the field.

·
MVP
8,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For the umpteenth time, I just think his marketing campaign is overhyping a player that doesn't deserve to be hyped at the moment.

And that Nike should put more efforts into the C_Ronaldo's than R10.

Just my humble opinion.

Of course, it's good business for Nike, I'm not denying that they may sell such merchandise like hot-cakes.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
For the umpteenth time, I just think his marketing campaign is overhyping a player that doesn't deserve to be hyped at the moment.
You've never worked marketing, clearly :smileani: :pp .
Its what they're supposed to do.

The brand sells and saying that they shouldn't be doing this is like tellling McDonalds that they shouldn't advertise, because they make god awful burgers.

...eh... no comparison anyway, Ronaldinho might not be what he was - well he isn't - but he is still a special player :thumbsup: .

·
Bernard > Messi
2,687 Posts
this has to be the most stupid thread I ever read in my life and I post on sherdog (the land of stupid people)

ARE YOU ****ING COMPLAINING BECAUSE A COMPANY WANTS TO SELL SOMETHING AND PEOPLE WANTS TO BUY IT???????????????????????????????????????????????????

WHAT THE ****???????????

I would understand if you got mad if your team brought him for xx.xxx.xxx,xx amount of money and you think he isn't worth it

but you are mad because HIS NAME STILL SELLS SHIT? WHAT??????

a) DO YOU WANT HIS FANS TO STOP LIKING HIM BECAUSE IN YOUR OPINION HE DOESN'T DESERVE IT ANYMORE?

OR

b) DO YOU WANT NIKE STOP SELLING HIS BRAND BECAUSE IN YOUR OPINION HE DOESN'T DESERVE THAT NIKE SELLS HIS SHIT, EVEN IF THERES A HUGE DEMAND FOR IT?

are you for real? wtf? marry with Abramobich / Bill Gates and put an anti-ronaldinho marketing campaign in the media, thats your only option. ****ing retard

you: hey people you shouldn't buy r10 products because hes isn't the best in the world anymore!

fans: I buy his products because I like them and I'll keep buying it.

you: waaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh he isn't the best anymore why you keep buying his productsssssss wahhhhhhhhhhh why you do this to me god!

I NEED TO PUNCH SOMEONE IN THE FACE RIGHT NOW. YOU ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOO ****IIIIIIIIIIIINGGGGGGGGGG DUMB.

Ok :D I'm calm now. I hate stupid people. :D

·
MVP
8,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I do work in Marketing actually :) - in consumer electronics.

Obviously, we promote goods which is based on the market trend and demand. Digital Camcorders:

Mini DV -> shifted to DVD -> shifted to Hard Disc -> shifted to Memory Card (SD Card in particular)

Now moving towards High Definition 1920x1080p

Hmmm. Relating that to Nikefootball. Very simple:

Ronaldinho = Standard Definition format therefore obsolete and no longer in fashion, meaning you have to change your entire home setup, upgrade to blu-ray, get a flat screen, and probably your home theater speaker system.

Cristiano Ronaldo = FULL High Definition. The full package. Makes Standard Definition look like crap, and you can easily tell the difference.

:angel:

·
1st Tier Poster
50,805 Posts
you seem to forget the fact that CRon is a metrosexual diving & crying pansy

his digital equivalent would be a HD TV which is put together by crying third world children who get whipped 5 times a day if they don't work their fingers to the bone

and you can watch only gay sex channels with that TV set

·
MVP
8,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
this has to be the most stupid thread I ever read in my life and I post on sherdog (the land of stupid people)

ARE YOU ****ING COMPLAINING BECAUSE A COMPANY WANTS TO SELL SOMETHING AND PEOPLE WANTS TO BUY IT???????????????????????????????????????????????????

WHAT THE ****???????????

I would understand if you got mad if your team brought him for xx.xxx.xxx,xx amount of money and you think he isn't worth it

but you are mad because HIS NAME STILL SELLS SHIT? WHAT??????

a) DO YOU WANT HIS FANS TO STOP LIKING HIM BECAUSE IN YOUR OPINION HE DOESN'T DESERVE IT ANYMORE?

OR

b) DO YOU WANT NIKE STOP SELLING HIS BRAND BECAUSE IN YOUR OPINION HE DOESN'T DESERVE THAT NIKE SELLS HIS SHIT, EVEN IF THERES A HUGE DEMAND FOR IT?

are you for real? wtf? marry with Abramobich / Bill Gates and put an anti-ronaldinho marketing campaign in the media, thats your only option. ****ing retard

you: hey people you shouldn't buy r10 products because hes isn't the best in the world anymore!

fans: I buy his products because I like them and I'll keep buying it.

you: waaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh he isn't the best anymore why you keep buying his productsssssss wahhhhhhhhhhh why you do this to me god!

I NEED TO PUNCH SOMEONE IN THE FACE RIGHT NOW. YOU ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOO ****IIIIIIIIIIIINGGGGGGGGGG DUMB.

Ok :D I'm calm now. I hate stupid people. :D
:howler:

You jackass! I'm clearly saying, there are much worthier players out there which could be marketed by Nike. Instead of shoving a has-been in our faces every day, they have to appeal to what's "in".

It sells? Well of course - to those who can't be f*cked to learn the difference...

It's just the image/message which is being communicated (i.e. he's a "God" and has his own sportswear)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts