Xtratime Community banner

The Road to Qatar 2022

3K views 32 replies 6 participants last post by  Beaux Balkans 
#1 ·
First, the T-Lions will get a chance to further improve ? its rankings through the second Nations League edition:

Then, based on the rankings we could get a decent WC 2022 qualification group. If we by any hazard do not get the deserved first place but remain only second in that group, we would have to play some weird playoff against the other ruinners-up from the WC quali groups, plus the two best placed teams from the NL other than the WC group winners and ruinners-up.

To cut the crap, a new cycle of fun and beefing guys!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Our squad for the games vs. Republic of Ireland (H) and Wales (A) in early September:

Uncle George called 18-year old CB Stanislav Rabotov and RB Cicinho for their debut appearances in the NT, as well as 19y old RB Viktor Popov. I doubt the youngsters would get playing time, but it might be a good move for the future as we are especially badly lacking quality Bulgarian-born right backs (apart from Stahil Popov to a certain extent, but I hear he is not in form rn), hence the call up of Cicinho. New Man City signing Filip Krastev also in the squad but I doubt he would be a starter.

Karageren and Nedelev in great shape, so I would expect them to be in the starting lineup against the Irish.

Probable starting 11 (4-2-3-1) IMHO:

Nik Mihaylov

Cicinho -- Kris Dimitrov -- Nedyalkov -- Ivan Goranov

Karabeliov -- Kostadinov

Karageren -- Malinov -- Nedelev

Mitko Iliev

But I might be very very off as you never know what's in the head of Elder Gosho :love:

The squads of our opponents:

R. of Ireand:

Wales:

Robson-Kanu's first appearance for Wales since 2017. To counter this, we have called this guy:

In all honesty, Wales vs. Bulgaria would be a complete waste; I'd rather have a free-kick contest between Bale and Nedelev instead, to decide who the winner of the tie should be.

#3 ·
First, the T-Lions will get a chance to further improve ? its rankings through the second Nations League edition:

View attachment 70144

Then, based on the rankings we could get a decent WC 2022 qualification group. If we by any hazard do not get the deserved first place but remain only second in that group, we would have to play some weird playoff against the other ruinners-up from the WC quali groups, plus the two best placed teams from the NL other than the WC group winners and ruinners-up.

To cut the crap, a new cycle of fun and beefing guys!
Hi! I found the valuable football match video.
VfB Stuttgart against SV Werder Bremen in 1995.
Famous player, Balakov,Elber,Bobic,Basler,Ramzy,Júnior Baiano.
Balakov's kick is very accurate!
Bobic's shot is Fine goal!

I like 94 world cup team.Stoichkov,Balakov, Kostadinov ,their skill is Amazing!
Good luck Bulgaria team!

#4 · (Edited)
Good luck glory hunting with Bulgaria, mate.

In other news, covid-19 might get the Bulgarian A-team right against the Irish tomorrow, something our Uncle Gosh has been unable to do in a while. This is the initial group; I have striken out the ones who tested positive, plus Paco the Tiger, who is injured, and Antov and Zdravko Dimitrov sent to help Bulgaria U21 in the important game against Estonia :love::

Goalkeepers: Nikolay Mihaylov (Levski Sofia), Plamen Iliev (Ludogorets), Martin Lukov (Lokomotiv Plovdiv);
Defenders: Petar Zanev (CSKA-Sofia), Vasil Bozhikov (Slovan Bratislava), Strahil Popov (Hatayspor), Anton Nedyalkov (Ludogorets), Georgi Terziev (Ludogorets), Cicinho (Ludogorets), Kristian Dimitrov (Hajduk Split), Valentin Antov (CSKA-Sofia), Viktor Popov (Cherno more), Dimitar Velkovski (Cercle Brugge);
Midfielders: Georgi Kostadinov (Arsenal Tula), Todor Nedelev (Botev Plovdiv), Kristiyan Malinov (OH Leuven), Galin Ivanov (CSKA 1948), Martin Raynov (Levski Sofia), Aleksandar Tsvetkov (Beroe), Birsent Karagaren (Lokomotiv Plovdiv), Yanis Karabelyov (Slavia Sofia), Dominik Yankov (Ludogorets), Svetoslav Kovachev (Arda);
Forwards: Kiril Despodov (Ludogorets), Bozhidar Kraev (Midtjylland), Dimitar Iliev (Lokomotiv Plovdiv), Spas Delev (Arda), Georgi Yomov (CSKA-Sofia), Zdravko Dimitrov (Levski Sofia).

GOD, send some little non-harmful virus to Karabelyov, too, please.

#5 ·
25/3/2021 21:45
Bulgaria - Switzerland

28/3/2021 21:45
Bulgaria - Italy

31/3/2021 21:45
Northern Ireland - Bulgaria

2/9/2021 21:45
Italy - Bulgaria

5/9/2021 19:00
Bulgaria - Lithuania

9/10/2021 16:00
Lithuania - Bulgaria

12/10/2021 21:45
Bulgaria - Northern Ireland

15/11/2021 21:45
Switzerland - Bulgaria

#6 ·
We have a new NT manager, Yassen Petrov.

One of the better Bulgarian managers, had a spell in China where he got his 2nd division team promoted. Briefly coached Levski Sofia too.

He says about himself he is a bit mad, a bit optimistic and result-oriented. Said he would give young prospects the chance but didn’t mention names.

With some two months before the home games with the Swiss and the Italians, and with the current pool of players he will need a lot of luck to stay in charge for longer tho.

#13 ·
There are two 17y olds, grown up and trained in local Bulgo clubs, who might be a consideration for your Serie A fantasy team soon. The one who is in Fiorentina (CB, Dimo Krastev) had even been on the bench in a couple of serie a games. A tall energetic guy; never seen him but the reports are quite positive. The other one is in Inter M’s primavera; nominally a winger but he also likes to take on the playmaker’s role. From what I have seen while he was in Bulgaria (playing for your favorite Bulgarian team:) ) his technique is at high level.

That was a clever move from Fiore and Inter btw, to take the guys before they have done the transition to first team football because that is apparently the biggest problem of our football now; many talented kids did not realise their potential because of lousy politics (or open corruption) when it comes to the last mile of the transition the guys need to make. We simply lack the football managers needed for a competent conversion of talents into mature players.

#14 ·
Galabinov will be spared against Switzerland tomorrow, and some are expecting a lineup with two upfront (Iliev and Iliev).Then, at some point there might be a fourth Iliev in the midfield so that the Swiss are proper confused.

I doubt a 3-5-2 is likely tho.

#17 · (Edited)
Against the Swiss it was a surprising 3-5-2, but we simply lack the suitable players for this now. Paco Iliev in the goals made a mistake for the third goal, in the 3-men defense line we had an old slow and inadequate debutant in Daniel Dimov, and two old slow and semi-adequate ‘old whores’ in Zanev (guilty for the other two goals) and Bozhikov. Malinov and Kostadinov were the defensive mids, workhorses they are but by no means game changers. Then, we had Cicinho as left HB and Strahil Popov on the opposite side. It was not their day to say the least; I don’t remember a single quality delivery by Strahil as he used to do in the past under Hubsi, while Cicinho looked like a frustrated cat among the Swiss defense dogs, even not that fast as he should be. Then, we had Despodov behind Yomov and Bulgarian player of the year Dimitar Iliev in attack. All three of them demonstrated complete lack of cohesion, Despodov scored our only goal out of nowhere after a nonchalant play by a Swiss in defense. Yomov had a couple of good games for the NT but against weaker opposition; the Swiss heavily exposed his lack of positioning and thinking out of the box. Dimitar Iliev was the biggest disappointment to me as hIs style of play is good positioning and keeping of the ball while he has it, while being relatively static, which was of no use. Overall we looked so 80’s against the versatile and well fed Swiss. The subs in the second half Delev, Il. Iliev Jr. and Atanas Iliev did not change much; the Swiss were in full control until the end. To make things worse our only semi decent starter Despodov got a knock, but he has recovered and is available for tonight’s game.

What are the expectations for the latter? Generally there are none, except for may be a comfortable lead by Italy at HT and another WC cycle over after the first two games. Yassen Petrov will probably stick to the 3-5-2 with changes here and there (we could even see Hristov brothers start). The midfield is a complete disaster, and the offensive department called up is a sea of mediocrity and complacency. Galabinov might start tonight, and he is not even a starter for Spezia.

See you later folks, hopefully with unlikely good news (we lose by only a one-goal margin).

EDIT: Forgot to mention Italy have never won in Sofia, so they will be writing history tonight :)

#18 ·
Expected lineups according to local media:

Bulgaria (3-5-2):

Iliev
Dimov -- Antov -- Bozhikov
Zvetanov -- Kostadinov -- Malinov -- Chochev -- Cicinho
Galabinov -- Despodov

Italia: Donnarumma, Florenzi, Bonucci, Acerbi, Spinazzola, Barella, Locatelli, Verratti, Chiesa, Belotti, Insigne

#24 ·
Which ones were those? I only found this:

autumn of 1982 (euro 1984 qualifier): Italy - Czechoslovakia 2:2
autumn of 2006 (euro 2008 qualifier): Italy - Lithuania 1:1.

We will actually need a little kiricocho magic to even get a point tho. Good thing is: coach seems to be willing to give more and more playing time to the youngsters he would call, so it might pay back for the NT in the near future.

#27 ·
Bulgaria had beaten world champs before (Italy in 1968, Germany and Argentina at the WC '94, France - notably in 1993; we have beaten France 8 times overall. lol), but it was long time ago. Realistically, won't happen now that this Italian team have smelled and tasted blood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.