Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 11150 Posts

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Barça are definitely the strongest side in La Liga this year. If we analyze their squad we'll see no real weaknesses, they have managed to address all their pressing needs whilst also bolstering what was already the best attacking force in World Football. I've been impressed at how quickly they have managed to secure all their top targets, leaving them with a full pre-season schedule where they could solely focus on team chemistry and regaining form. Barça have upgraded in several positions with real quality...but more importantly they have done so with a plan in mind. G.Milito and Eric Abidal vastly improve their defensive options and are clear upgrades on Marquez and Gio/Sylvinho, whilst Yahya Toure adds much-needed steel and power in their midfield (without compromising the traditional Barça heritage of technical excellence in midfield). The only department that you'd be hard-pressed to find an actual improvement upon, REM, has been joined by probably the only player in the World you could consider an improvement- Thierry Henry. Barça are the best team in the World on paper, but fortunately for the rest of us, football goes beyond just paper and names. For me, Barça's success this season depends on how professional their players prove to be, or their lack of it. Someone, a big name- be it in midfield (Deco, Xavi or Iniesta) or attack (Messi or Henry)- will be on the bench because you can only play with eleven players at a time. If they opt for incorporating the four cracks into the line-up, a midfielder of reputable International class will go to the bench- or they can continue with a three-man midfield and one of the "Fantastic Four" will have to be dropped. Either way...someone important will be benched and their success will depend on how happy Big Frank can keep the squad. If disharmony and mayhem breaks out, they are likely to implode...or we could see something spectacular. Team to beat.

Valencia were ravaged by injuries last year- but they return with a clean bill of health and some new (familiar) faces. They've lost the veteran leadership of Ayala, but recover the same experienced qualities in Ivan Helguera. Alexis Ruano is a defender I rate highly, and seeing as Canizares is not getting any younger they've moved to secure Hildebrand from Stuttgart- so Los Che have considerably improved in defense. Spain's U-20 star Stephen "Sunny" Sunday could make fans forget quickly about Baraja's dodgy knees if given the opportunity...whilst Edu is hoping to finally be able to show his value to this team following two extended periods on the sidelines. We all know about their dangerous set of wingers, and Valencia have looked to complete their attacking options with the signings of Zigic and Mata. For all his goal-scoring exploits, David Villa isn't likely to win you any aerial battles so it will be interesting to see him link up with Zigic's 6"7 frame. Valencia look solid in every department, the key for them is perhaps Quique falling on his head and forgetting that he is, in fact, married to Angulo.

Sevilla have kept the same base that has led them to back-to-back Uefa Cup titles, a Super Cup and a Spanish Cup in the last two years. Juande Ramos is one of the best coaches in Europe at this point in time and it's his unique system that is delivering success to the Andalusian capital. It's true Daniel Alves is likely to leave for Chelsea or Madrid, but in Ramon Rodriguez "Monchi" they have a man who is widely considered as the best sporting director in Spain- so rest assured they have a plan in place to replace the heart beat of their team. Who knows? It could even be our very own Cicinho, who is obviously the most natural replacement for Alves. Del Nido has extended Freddie Kanoute's contract and signed Khalid Boulahrouz to bolster their defense, but Sevilla (unsurprisingly, given their strong base) have hardly been active in the transfer market. IMO- especially if they sign Cicinho- they will challenge for the title again this year. They're too strong and far too a tight-knitted group to fall apart just because of Alves' departure.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think we need a thread where we can discuss the results and performances of our main rivals, so we can use this thread as a reference point.

La Liga this year will be as competitive as it has ever been, it's going to be very difficult to retain the title.

·
In Exile
5,398 Posts
Nice analysis, M4, and an interesting read.

I know your motives, though. Your hidden agenda is to show all of us, that you lot are able to have a decent discusion about the rival, while we can't overcome our animalistic impulses in our "Let's laugh..." thread.
I hope your idea gets destroyed by posts like "Close this thread!", "Pu.ta Barca", "Farca su(ks".

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
Madridista4 said:
I think we need a thread where we can discuss the results and performances of our main rivals, so we can use this thread as a reference point.
I am yawning already . . .

·
R0naldo
23,405 Posts
Not always the strongest(on paper) team wins La Liga,we all know that.....The thing is that you can win game on technique(Barca) of Physique(Real Madrid)...Everyone strives for the same goal but with different techniques....Names means nothing to me.....Team means a lot....

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
El Mariachi said:
I am yawning already . . .
Why? It is the most interesting league in the World. :confused:

Barcoslav said:
I know your motives, though. Your hidden agenda is to show all of us, that you lot are able to have a decent discusion about the rival, while we can't overcome our animalistic impulses in our "Let's laugh..." thread.
I hope your idea gets destroyed by posts like "Close this thread!", "Pu.ta Barca", "Farca su(ks".
:howler: That depends on who gets a hold of this thread...and how quickly. :D I hope the sensible posters say something quick. :scared:

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
Madridista4 said:
Why? It is the most interesting league in the World. :confused:
No, it's not that . . . It is just that I prefer to disregard them (the rivals), and focus on our own grand triumphs and freakish follies.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Valencia will be lucky to finish 4th this season.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Mestalla said:
Yeah, and Real Madrid will win the title cause 'Guti's on a whole other level' :lala:
As long as we take 6 points from Valencia again, we'll be well on our way.

And yes, Guti when he's not being a little pansy, is on a whole other level. Few players in the world, and I mean few, come close to his vision and playmaking.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Ha...right now I'd say Valencia is clearly a stronger team than Madrid. First challengers to Barca, I'll bet.

PS. Dismissing Valencia because they lost both games last season is just...so, so irrelevant. Do we even need to play the new season if the outcome of it is determined by last season's results anyway?

·
Administrator
52,356 Posts
David Silva > The whole Real team ;)

Gone are the days Real could pick and choose Valencia's stars and buy them easily (Mjiatovic etc). If it wasnt gone, Silva should be the biggiest priority to sign(besides Kaka :pp).

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Cacìni said:
PS. Dismissing Valencia because they lost both games last season is just...so, so irrelevant. Do we even need to play the new season if the outcome of it is determined by last season's results anyway?
I agree. Who did that, Cacini?

·
semi-retired
18,554 Posts
Osman said:
David Silva > The whole Real team
That's too high a standard, it's more like this:

Arizmendi = the whole Real team :lala: :pp

Josh said:
I agree. Who did that, Cacini?
:howler: :D

No seriously FiG, I'm interested :pp How do you think a team that easily qualified 4th last season - despite suffering the worst injury crisis in Europe - will be lucky to finish 4th this year, after keeping the same players and strenghtening the squad aswell?

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
I still don't see Valencia as good as Real, Barca, or Sevilla, and I think Atletico and Zaragoza will challenge for the last CL spot. I'm sure Valencia will be closer to Atletico and Zaragoza than they will to Real, Barca, and Sevilla. Valencia always get injuries, lose some stupid games to mediocre opponents, and I think QQ is an awful manager.

·
Pepe the Beast
4,493 Posts
despite suffering the worst injury crisis in Europe
Since when do you guys use black and white striped jerseys and go by the name Newcastle?:howler:

I think you guys will be really good this year and will challenge for La Liga, ultimately getting second. You have too amazing of an offence to just barely get 4th place. (unless really bad injuries hit you again)

·
semi-retired
18,554 Posts
Joshua said:
I still don't see Valencia as good as Real, Barca, or Sevilla, and I think Atletico and Zaragoza will challenge for the last CL spot. I'm sure Valencia will be closer to Atletico and Zaragoza than they will to Real, Barca, and Sevilla. Valencia always get injuries, lose some stupid games to mediocre opponents, and I think QQ is an awful manager.
I was about ridicule this post but when I read this, I changed my mind....

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
whos gonna be the Dark Horse?

My money is on Betis

1 - 20 of 11150 Posts